The Samsung Galaxy S24
SEANCON's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 27th, 2015 8:40 PM

HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

Ever since the update i have been getting the Dish icon (like GPS) appearing consistently for 10-20 minutes at a time in a given hour.  The battery drain since the update is horrible.  Go to work, look at my phone 2 hours in and its at 50% battery.  Go into manage apps and see Agent IQ under android services. says its running for over 24 hours? when i try to stop the app.  It stops for about 3-5 minutes and then is initiated again.  I have no GPS on , no auto update apps....what the heck.... tried the hard reboot after stopping the program and nothing....this is getting to be ridiculous.  Any one else having the issue? i see it in other forums about the ATT update/Agent IQ issue but nothing here in the community....weird

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare thanks Charisse. Finally an admission that there's a HUGE and OBVIOUS problem that tons of customers are dealing with. I'm not even remotely shocked that the finger was pointed back at HTC even though we know the problem here is 100% absolutely related to AT&T-installed carrier IQ spyware, but at least the company is formally acknowledging the masses of complaints from customers.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we look forward to the Lollipop update that you've so carelessly dragged your feet on. If there's a god anywhere in this world, the new OS may spare of from the nightmares that AT&T has caused in recent weeks.

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare Charise, I do appreciate that you've chimed in, as thankless as my last response may have sounded. I do wish that we got answers, though. It's so me what helpful to hear an acknowledgement, but the hands-off approach to finding a solution is discouraging. I categorically will never again purchase a phone from AT&T. My cell service is fine, and I continue to explore other carrier options in my area; however, I'll never again own an AT&T branded phone, and certainly never buy into the money out known as the AT&T Next program, especially given the company's inability to troubleshoot its own software.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey @garretttv

I completely understand the frustration here, as battery life is in my opinion one of the key requirements of any good cellphone. Agent IQ is something which is built into the device software as provided by HTC. It seems that in the case of the HTC One M8, there is an error causing the GPS to activate when it is not required. This would require an update to correct.

Thanks,

Charise

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

Not all M8 devices have this.  The M8 Sprint devices that I have seen do not have this installed.  HTC has told me that it was installed at the request of the carrier and not them. So they are only able to provide a clean ROM with no ATT bloat, but this is not a process installed at their request, it is an ATT process, and is communicating with ATT, not HTC.

This needs to be fixed since the battery should last longer than 5 - 6 hours on a full charge.  ATT does not need to know where I am at all times and that is available to them because the this software.  My business is my business.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

Correct! Per my conversation with HTC support, they actually stated that in
the conversation with ATT for the M8 build that they did not support or
suggest adding this to the release. The particular associate i spoke with
twice stated that the program is in litigation and being specifically
addressed at the government level for privacy concerns

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

It doesn't make sense that it would be HTC's fault as no other version of the M8 is experiencing the issue. Also, the “carrier” in Carrier IQ makes your story even less believable. 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

The question is, is ATT smart enough to not include it in the lollipop release, or will it be part of the added bloatware that they seem to enjoy.

Guru

• 

629 Messages

9 years ago

I can't believe ATT is so strongly pointing the finger at HTC for this issue. I, too, have heard/read several statements from HTC regarding this issue and they've all said that ATT was requesting the agent IQ "sofware" themselves. I also really hope that this issue is completely resolved with the Lollipop update which, apparently, we can be expecting relatively soon.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Charise,

I give you props for being the brave soul to step out on this ledge.  If this is an HTC issue that, only AT&T customers are having, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe AT&T, the 3rd largest telecommunications company in the world doesn't have the "power" to demand HTC fix the problem. Doesn't AT&T care enough about their customers to light a fire under HTC or do they just not know how to fix this and save face?  Either way, it doesn't bode well for AT&T customer satisfaction. When you're one of the largest telecom companies in the world, what's a few thousand dissatisfied customers with dead phones, right?

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare Charise, @plzpcs is right; you have to own this. We know it's only happening on AT&T, and we know it's not even an application built into HTCs kernel source for the M8. This is SO OBVIOUSLY at the hands of AT&T, and its frustrating that the company can't just own up and say if/when a fix is on the way. That's how good business works. If Chevrolet has to recall 25,000 vehicles because of bad clutches, they wouldn't blame the manufacturer, they'd take it on themselves because its their brand and their assembly and its a unit that they sold to their customers. They'd be accountable, which I know is a tough word for AT&T to understand.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.