The Samsung Galaxy S24
SEANCON's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 27th, 2015 8:40 PM

HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

Ever since the update i have been getting the Dish icon (like GPS) appearing consistently for 10-20 minutes at a time in a given hour.  The battery drain since the update is horrible.  Go to work, look at my phone 2 hours in and its at 50% battery.  Go into manage apps and see Agent IQ under android services. says its running for over 24 hours? when i try to stop the app.  It stops for about 3-5 minutes and then is initiated again.  I have no GPS on , no auto update apps....what the heck.... tried the hard reboot after stopping the program and nothing....this is getting to be ridiculous.  Any one else having the issue? i see it in other forums about the ATT update/Agent IQ issue but nothing here in the community....weird

Guru

• 

629 Messages

9 years ago

Bought my M8 back in November from Best Buy. So far, the battery's been great, even after the 4.4.4 update, and even with a battery saver app installed. I've disabled a bunch of the bloat ware too which probably helps a bunch. The weird thing is, with my device, I haven't noticed the gps icon running anymore than, what I would consider to be, normal. I've also searched in my phone for the "agent iq" and "iq agent" but haven't found anything like that. So, I'm really scratching my head as to where this agent iq could be hiding. Or, could it be that my phone is just one of the oddballs that doesn't have it?

Guru

• 

629 Messages

9 years ago

Never mind... Found it 😳... 😋 ... It was in the "apps" section, under "running" and then "android services. I stopped it, for now, and wil keep an eye on it. Guess I'm gonna have to watch it until lollipop comes out, hopefully, with a fix.

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

yeah, keep your eyes posted for the GPS ion to suddenly appear in the notfication tray.  i've had all possible carrier bloatware disabled since literally the first hour of owning this phone last year, and this problem is still happening ot me.  doesn't appear to have any rhyme or reason,a nd seems isolated to AT&T.  there are plenty of threads documenting it around the interwebs...here's perhaps the best one i've found yet, but still no solution or even an acknowledgement from ATT.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/494182-massive-battery-drain-gps-constantly.html

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Same issue here, waiting for a response and update from AT&T to correct this. My phone can be idle with the screen off, but I'll pick it up and it will be warm to the touch with the GPS icon firing even though location services are disabled. I have confirmed that this stops when I force stop IQ Agent Service, but I'm unable to prevent this from continuing without rooting. I shouldn't need to root my phone, voiding it's warranty, for it to function properly.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I am having the same issues as everyone else. I have tried to enable all of my disabled apps and then update them through the play store. I then disabled the apps again with no luck. I have done a wipe cache partition, even a factory reset and I am still having the issue. I can replicate the issue several ways. If I turn on airplane mode the GPS icon will flash after 10-30 seconds. After this I can go into the running apps and force stop the IQ Agent. If I turn airplaine mode off, the GPS icon will flash again and will start the IQ Agent back up. If I force stop again, as long as I don't move my phone (as in leave my house) it will stay off for a good while. If I leave my house it turns on again. I notice it more when I travel back and forth to work. I have called AT&T four different times and only one person knew what I was talking about. She was going to open an advanced support ticket of some kind and someone would call me within a few days. A few days went by and no call. Called back in and they have no record of the ticket so they entered in another ticket but they wanted me to do another factory reset before they did. I refused considering it was only 3 days since I just did one. They also want to send me a refurbished phone to see if it fixes the issue. This phone is only 6 months old and it has an OtterBox case and a tempered glass screen protector and its in wonderful condition. I refuse to accept a refurbished (used) phone to fix an issue I did not create. I have even gone to the extent to file a BBB complaint. Someone from their executive office tried to contact me while I was at work and I called back and left a message but I have not received a call back yet and that was over 3 days ago. As for the support ticket I have recevied a call also when I was at work and I called back and left a message as well as times when they could call due to my work schedule and the lady continues to call in the middle of my work shift and leaves the same message over and over. I have tried everything in my power to work with AT&T and even with HTC, which is no the cause of the problem and have had no luck. 

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare could you please chime in? This is a huge mess and it would really help if you acknowledged the problem and at least pretended you cared about the customer.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

ATT advanced care for customer service????

I had a  ticket created also.  They lost the first one.  So I had them try again.  The lady called 3 times, each time during the day when I am at work.  After repeated attempts to get her to call me when I was available and leaving specific times to call, she left me a message saying that unless she was able to reach me during her working hours (before 5pm) she was going to close my ticket.

Some people have jobs that make them unavailable until late,  What are they thinking?  They should be working around our schedules.  How arrogant to think that we need to work around their schedule for service.

There are other providers out there and maybe eventually they will figure that out when they start losing customers.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Finally!!! An admission from AT&T that they jacked up our phones with their software update back in January. It's only taken a month and a half, 4 calls to text support, 3 attempts to reach their urgent care department (by the way... they are completely incompetent. They call from an unknown number, I normally don't answer but I also couldn't answer anyway due to being at work. They leave a message requesting you call a number in KY and leave a message. Left a message on two different occasions and provided the days and hours they could reach me. Of course they call whenever they want and the process starts all over) in addition to all this, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau that resulted in a call back from a corporate executive. Now the only problem is they don't have a solution for the issue yet and probably won't do anything with the Lollipop update that "SHOULD" be released within the next 15 days.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @garretttv

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! This certainly does seem to be the result of a software bug in the latest version of Android available for the M8. From my research, it seems this is an issue with no resolution provided by HTC as yet. In order to correct this issue, a fix will need to be provided via software update. HTC is planning on releasing Lollipop very soon for this device, and is currently in Stage 4 of 5 stages for release with the final stage being “Complete”. I have reached out for any information on a fix in the meantime whilst we await the launch of Android 5.0

Thanks,

Charise

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

This issue was not present on all carriers so it seems to be more carrier related than M8 related.   The issue is the Carrier IQ agent that is present in the latest release that runs using GPS and causes the battery to drain.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.