Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

Tutor

HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

Ever since the update i have been getting the Dish icon (like GPS) appearing consistently for 10-20 minutes at a time in a given hour.  The battery drain since the update is horrible.  Go to work, look at my phone 2 hours in and its at 50% battery.  Go into manage apps and see Agent IQ under android services. says its running for over 24 hours? when i try to stop the app.  It stops for about 3-5 minutes and then is initiated again.  I have no GPS on , no auto update apps....what the heck.... tried the hard reboot after stopping the program and nothing....this is getting to be ridiculous.  Any one else having the issue? i see it in other forums about the ATT update/Agent IQ issue but nothing here in the community....weird

Message 1 of 125
Teacher

Re: HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

I've just started seeing it today I still keep seeing the gps icon flashing constantly off and on what is this and how do you fix it if you find a solution let me know it's draining my battery also
Message 2 of 125
Professor

Carrier IQ is in fact turning on the GPS, and causing excessive battery drain.  I've seen a couple reports of this on other forums.

Can you disable the IQ app, or is that locked out (without root)?

Other than that (or root), I don't think you will find much of a fix unless AT&T/HTC rolls out a patch.

Message 3 of 125
Teacher

rooting will disable the carrier iq I tried factory resetting and gps icon still keeps flashing carrier iq is illegal it's a tracking software a lawsuit was just settled a few months ago over this tracking software from carriers I've tried everything to remove it except root
Message 4 of 125
Scholar

Having the same problem. Its definitely the carrier IQ / IQ Agent process. You can kill it by going to the Android System process and stopping the IQ Agent task, but it will return. Has been happening to me for about 2 weeks and is murdering battery life. I fully expect AT&T to do literally nothing about this besides point the finger elsewhere even though we know it's on them.
Message 5 of 125
Teacher

I just did a warranty exchange today very frustrating with this carrier iq it's illegal tracking software so I'll be downgrading to the 4.4.2 instead of upgrading to the 4.4.4 again I think it's a software malfunction with the 4.4.4 at&t released over a month ago at&t is way behind on the software updates
Message 6 of 125
Scholar

AT&T, what are you doing about htis?  (nothing). It's clearly something recently pushed out to our phones without our knowledge, probably force-wedged into some service update.  It's no coincidence that suddenly all of these people (both here and in several other forums on the internet) are reporting having this issue out of the blue in the last 2-3 weeks.  

Here's to hopelessly praying you actually give 1/3 of a crap about your customers this week and help us get our phones through half a day's worth of battery!

Message 7 of 125
Teacher

the only way to remove carrier iq is rooting the phone carrier iq is illegal it's against the law privacy law it's invasion of privacy it's embedded into the 4.4.4 software update at&t released their is no way to remove it unless you root the phone or every at&t customer who has the HTC One M8 get a warranty exchange how did at&t screw up this software update I never had any problems with any other carriers before with this kind of software issue (illegal) (spyware) at&t needs to fix this problem fast asap
Message 8 of 125
Scholar

i see wher eyou're going, but if this was something slipped in with the 4.4.4 upgrade, then it took weeks to kick in.  I had no issues for several weeks after getting 4.4.4, but just in the past week or two have seen significant problems.  this is the same thing reported by many users, so I'm more inclined it believe that it's something AT&T simply tried to slip through randomly without our noticing (and failed misrably, per usual).

Message 9 of 125
Teacher

At&t ain't gonna do nothing about the carrier iq if someone comes up with a solution besides a replacement device let me know
Message 10 of 125

This is the most annoying and ridiculous situation.  If the IQ services are not legal and they keep tracking my phone - you would think AT&T would want to remove them from the phone rather than face some sort of legal battle.  I personally don't care if it is there or not - what I care about is for the last two weeks I can't make it through a work day without my phone battery being completely drained by this gps icon on my phone constantly engaging and running.  Do they really want warranty exchanges on all of these phones?   Let us roll back on HTC sync or something.  I have been with AT&T for over 15 years - and find it hard to believe their software folks can't fix this issue.  Three of my lines are up for renewal next week - and until they fix this issue I will not be upgrading with AT&T service.

Message 11 of 125
Highlighted
Scholar

Strangely, I just traveled over the weekend and saw this happening far less than usual. Typically, in the metro chicago area, I'm having the IQAgent/GPS random-on issue account for 2-3 hrs of GPS usage from the android system app. When in the outskirts of the metro Pittsburgh region, I was only seeing ~30 mins a day. Its the first time in 3 weeks that my phone has made it through more than half a day without the battery dying.

However, in general, chicago has far greater network connectivity and reliability than in the metro-Pitt and neighboring regions, if not for the lack of mountains alone. And the most regular trigger of the GPS item in my experience has been going between networks, so I would have expected the problem to be worse in/around Pitt. Very odd, but will keep monitoring now that I'm back in Chicago.

This is inexplicably frustrating. AT&T, could you just pretend like you care? Perhaps have one of the mods drop one of those canned "send me a DM with you phone info and well help you out" messages so we at least know you've acknowledged several of your customers are having issues?
Message 12 of 125
Professor

Try disabling the app 'DriveMode' and see if it helps.  This was suggested in another forum. 

Message 13 of 125
Teacher

Drive mode has nothing to do with it it's an illegal tracking software at&t claims they never heard of carrier iq which I find hard to believe I believe at&t has something to do with this carrier iq installed on every at&t customers HTC One M8 or whatever other phones they have it installed in I been seeing the GPS icon flashing more often now at&t knows what's going on with this carrier iq issue and they refuse to fix it carrier iq is illegal it tracks your keystrokes your text messages your call logs your websites that you visit etc.
Message 14 of 125
Tutor

The issue seems to be getting worse....was running in airplane mode as i tried everything to have it stop draining the battery.   Seems by lack of adequate response that its a legal thing that ATT does not want to actually address.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].we shouldnt have to buy new phones, trade them in or pay absolutely anything out of pocket for this bull.  Its amazing how these companies work against the folks that made them big in the beginning....

Message 15 of 125
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support