The Samsung Galaxy S24
SEANCON's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 27th, 2015 8:40 PM

HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

Ever since the update i have been getting the Dish icon (like GPS) appearing consistently for 10-20 minutes at a time in a given hour.  The battery drain since the update is horrible.  Go to work, look at my phone 2 hours in and its at 50% battery.  Go into manage apps and see Agent IQ under android services. says its running for over 24 hours? when i try to stop the app.  It stops for about 3-5 minutes and then is initiated again.  I have no GPS on , no auto update apps....what the heck.... tried the hard reboot after stopping the program and nothing....this is getting to be ridiculous.  Any one else having the issue? i see it in other forums about the ATT update/Agent IQ issue but nothing here in the community....weird

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

I've just started seeing it today I still keep seeing the gps icon flashing constantly off and on what is this and how do you fix it if you find a solution let me know it's draining my battery also

Professor

• 

3K Messages

9 years ago

Carrier IQ is in fact turning on the GPS, and causing excessive battery drain.  I've seen a couple reports of this on other forums.

Can you disable the IQ app, or is that locked out (without root)?

Other than that (or root), I don't think you will find much of a fix unless AT&T/HTC rolls out a patch.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

rooting will disable the carrier iq I tried factory resetting and gps icon still keeps flashing carrier iq is illegal it's a tracking software a lawsuit was just settled a few months ago over this tracking software from carriers I've tried everything to remove it except root

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

Having the same problem. Its definitely the carrier IQ / IQ Agent process. You can kill it by going to the Android System process and stopping the IQ Agent task, but it will return. Has been happening to me for about 2 weeks and is murdering battery life. I fully expect AT&T to do literally nothing about this besides point the finger elsewhere even though we know it's on them.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

I just did a warranty exchange today very frustrating with this carrier iq it's illegal tracking software so I'll be downgrading to the 4.4.2 instead of upgrading to the 4.4.4 again I think it's a software malfunction with the 4.4.4 at&t released over a month ago at&t is way behind on the software updates

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T, what are you doing about htis?  (nothing). It's clearly something recently pushed out to our phones without our knowledge, probably force-wedged into some service update.  It's no coincidence that suddenly all of these people (both here and in several other forums on the internet) are reporting having this issue out of the blue in the last 2-3 weeks.  

Here's to hopelessly praying you actually give 1/3 of a crap about your customers this week and help us get our phones through half a day's worth of battery!

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

the only way to remove carrier iq is rooting the phone carrier iq is illegal it's against the law privacy law it's invasion of privacy it's embedded into the 4.4.4 software update at&t released their is no way to remove it unless you root the phone or every at&t customer who has the HTC One M8 get a warranty exchange how did at&t screw up this software update I never had any problems with any other carriers before with this kind of software issue (illegal) (spyware) at&t needs to fix this problem fast asap

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

i see wher eyou're going, but if this was something slipped in with the 4.4.4 upgrade, then it took weeks to kick in.  I had no issues for several weeks after getting 4.4.4, but just in the past week or two have seen significant problems.  this is the same thing reported by many users, so I'm more inclined it believe that it's something AT&T simply tried to slip through randomly without our noticing (and failed misrably, per usual).

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

At&t ain't gonna do nothing about the carrier iq if someone comes up with a solution besides a replacement device let me know

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

This is the most annoying and ridiculous situation.  If the IQ services are not legal and they keep tracking my phone - you would think AT&T would want to remove them from the phone rather than face some sort of legal battle.  I personally don't care if it is there or not - what I care about is for the last two weeks I can't make it through a work day without my phone battery being completely drained by this gps icon on my phone constantly engaging and running.  Do they really want warranty exchanges on all of these phones?   Let us roll back on HTC sync or something.  I have been with AT&T for over 15 years - and find it hard to believe their software folks can't fix this issue.  Three of my lines are up for renewal next week - and until they fix this issue I will not be upgrading with AT&T service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.