HTC Inspire issue with phone freezing

Contributor

HTC Inspire issue with phone freezing

I keep having the same issue and have had the phone warrantied once for this already.  When my phone is on and booted, when I click on the button to take my phone out of sleep mode, the screen will come up where I am supposed to slide the bar down to unlock the phone.  However, the screen will freeze and not allow me to slide the bar.  Then when I try to take the phone out of sleep mode again for the next several minutes, the screen will stay black, but the home, menu, back, and search buttons at the buttom of the phone will be lit up.  When I took my first inspire in to the warranty center they said this was a known issue and that HTC had an update comiing out to fix the issue.  However, a couple months later and a new phone, the issue is still persisting and getting worse everyday.  Has anybody been able to get past this without getting a completely different model phone?

Message 1 of 33 (29,765 Views)
Contributor

Re: HTC Inspire issue with phone freezing

I've been having the exact same problem with my Inspire since the most recent software update.  I just want to go back to the way it was before.  It started acting up a day or so after, now my phone freezes on a regular basis.  During calls, it wont let me hang up.  I have to remove the battery to make it stop.  The slide screen from sleep more.  The keyboard for texting gets stuck in horizontal mode.  Its REALLY annoying!!!

Message 16 of 33 (26,461 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

neelixo wrote:

I've been having the exact same problem with my Inspire since the most recent software update.  I just want to go back to the way it was before.  It started acting up a day or so after, now my phone freezes on a regular basis.  During calls, it wont let me hang up.  I have to remove the battery to make it stop.  The slide screen from sleep more.  The keyboard for texting gets stuck in horizontal mode.  Its REALLY annoying!!!

Try backing up your data, then doing a factory reset (which will wipe all user data). The term "factory reset" is a bit misleading.  It won't revert you to the previous firmware, but it will wipe the phone clean, and often clear up issues like this.

I've seen the issue a lot, where updates encounter all types of issues due to incompatabilities with the user data that was on the phone before the update.  Wiping the phone clean and starting over again will often clear up these issues.

Message 17 of 33 (26,445 Views)

My phone has been freezing on phone calls since the second this update went through.  This is absolute garbage. If I am going to go through the hassle of doing a reset, then I am going to improve my phone beyond what ATT feels I should have and I am going to root my phone and put ICS on it.  ATT has failed miserably again. I don't know why I even count on them to do anything.  I have a phone I can't make phone calls with thanks to them. I never wanted an iPhone but ATT made sure my Android phone is as worthless as one.

Message 18 of 33 (26,411 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

KingSmokey wrote:

My phone has been freezing on phone calls since the second this update went through.  This is absolute garbage. If I am going to go through the hassle of doing a reset, then I am going to improve my phone beyond what ATT feels I should have and I am going to root my phone and put ICS on it.  ATT has failed miserably again. I don't know why I even count on them to do anything.  I have a phone I can't make phone calls with thanks to them. I never wanted an iPhone but ATT made sure my Android phone is as worthless as one.

It probably has little to do with AT&T.  I've often seen OTA updates cause all manners of bugs and performance issues.  I've seen these over multiple devices, by different manufacturers and for different carriers.  The method of keeping user data and updating the firmware is simply too messy.  Too many variables. The manufacturer can't test for every app installed by the user that might interfere with the update.  A clean update (wipe data) while obviously more of a pain, is almost always better.

If you are willing to accept the risk and benefits of rooting your phone and using custom firmware, I'd encourage it.  As long as you do the proper research before you start, and follow the instructions closely, its a lot of fun!  Addicting, actually.

Message 19 of 33 (26,356 Views)
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by Zombiehunter (Professor)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

For my phone, i fixed the freezing.  I just removed my HTC sense account. It's annoying that the cause is HTC sense.... or at least for me it is, but it did fix the freezing issues I had been having.  Not having sense is better than having to pull my battery 20+ times a day. 

Message 20 of 33 (25,891 Views)
Contributor

That's funny because my phone had NO issues until this new update. When I called AT&T about it after the phone FROZE UP OVER NIGHT AND I WAS 1 &1/2 HOURS LATE FOR WORK, AT&T said there hadn't been any other reports of something going wrong. I did the factory restore, guess what, still have those problems. I am the executive assistant to a Attorney and handle a LOT of his businesses, so he has to be able to reach me no matter what. This phone will not let me answer phone calls a lot of the times. I'm also the single mother and have to be able to be reached by my kids, school, etc. One of my sons has the exact phone and his screws up too.

Sounds like to me it's AT&T's problem AND HTC's problem, but someone should fix the problem before people start filing lawsuits for faulty equipment being sold and no viable solution being offered.

Message 21 of 33 (25,753 Views)
Tutor

I read all the posts and the last post said to remove the htc sense.  I did  this two days ago and I have not had the freezing problem since.

Message 22 of 33 (25,725 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for this it totally fixed me. Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 33 (25,726 Views)
Contributor

Ive had this phone for a while and absolutely hate it! It freezes all the time and is constantly lagging. I have to restart all of the time which only fixes it for a couple days. Knowing att will do nothing to fix this problem by replacing the phone with new one or anything else, I will be leaving att as soon as my contract is up. I would not recommend this phone or att to anyone!

Message 24 of 33 (25,135 Views)
Voyager

I fully feel your pain, Im having similar problems. AT&T does not seem to stand by the products they sell. The Tech support answer I got was just as bad as the store rep I spoke with. I do hope you have better luck than me.

Message 25 of 33 (25,110 Views)
Professor

Just removed your HTC sense account.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 26 of 33 (25,065 Views)
Voyager

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM SINCE I DID THE AT&T UPDATE LAST MONTH.  I HAVE TRIED PULLING BATTERY AND DELETED ALMOST ALL OF MY APPS.  SOME BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES.  WAS ABOUT READY TO TRY FACTORY REBOOT WHEN A FRIEND SUGGESTED THIS FORUM.  AFTER READING SEVERAL MESSAGES I AM READY TO TRY ANYTHING BUT GIVE AT&T $30 TO TALK TO TECH SUPPORT SINCE I DID NOT GET THE INSURANCE. 2QUESTIONS.  HOW DO I REMOVE THE HTC SENSE APP? IT DOES NOT APPEAR UNDER RUNNING APPS.  AND WHEN IT IS REMOVED WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD APPS?

Message 27 of 33 (24,956 Views)
Voyager

how do i remove the htc sense account?
take pity on an gma. at&t does not.
will i still be able to download everything i took off?
Message 28 of 33 (24,954 Views)
Professor

mhicks51 wrote:
how do i remove the htc sense account?
take pity on an gma. at&t does not.
will i still be able to download everything i took off?

Go to Settings>Accounts & Sync>HTC Sense. Select HTC Sense and it will open another screen. Press Menu and it will give you a choice of delete or synce now. press delete and you're good to go.

It does not affect you ability to operate your phone normally.

I deleted my HTC Sense account two weeks after I bought it last year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 29 of 33 (24,893 Views)
Voyager

Thx. Want this nightmare over. Appreciate ur reply.
Message 30 of 33 (24,882 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.