HTC Inspire VS. Yahoo Mail

Contributor

HTC Inspire VS. Yahoo Mail

I am having a problem with Yahoo! Mail not working on my device.  I'm continually being told my username/password combination is incorrect.  I read another post where a customer had the same issue and found that if they disconnect from WiFi it will work.  This did work for a few days, even though I shouldn't have to do this just to get my mail, but I'm a patient person.  The problem, however, is now it isn't working on either the network or WiFi.  I've had to download the Yahoo! Mail App to get my emails.  Again, I'm OK with this as long as I get my mail.  I'm just curious if other's are having the same problem and if there's a solution?  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Message 1 of 27 (24,278 Views)
Master

Re: HTC Inspire VS. Yahoo Mail

I have pretty much the same issue on my Captivate. When I'm on my home Wi-Fi network (or any network, for that matter), I am unable to connect to my Yahoo! Mail account via Wi-Fi. The screen displays, "username or password incorrect". I know that I entered both correctly, as I even did it slowly multiple times. I refuse to connect to the data network outside of Wi-Fi because I don't want to incur any prepaid data charges.

However, before that message is displayed, reads this: "Mailbox access is not supported for some types of Yahoo! mail accounts. If you have trouble connecting, visit yahoo.com for more information". That's what I'm guessing the problem is - that your's and my Yahoo! accounts are the type that are not "supported".

Count me in, too. I would also like to know the answer to this.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 27 (24,210 Views)
Employee

I have the Free Yahoo Email account. When I was setting it up in the native mail client, I was getting the authentication failure referring to my username/password so I selected Manual set up, changed the inbound mail server security to TLS, finished the set up without further error and all is good, able to send and receive email using that account (I found instances on other forums where they modified the SMTP address by adding android to the beginning of that address but I didnt have to). Now Wi-Fi is a different story, Iit is working today but it wasnt the other day. Stilltrying to figure that one out.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 27 (24,180 Views)
Contributor

I followed Tbones post below - "When I was setting it up in the native mail client, I was getting the authentication failure referring to my username/password so I selected Manual set up, changed the inbound mail server security to TLS, finished the set up without further error and all is good, able to send and receive email using that account."

- Select Mail icon

- Select to add new account from Menu Options

- Select to add a POP/IMAP account

-Provide yahoo mail username and password and select Manual Set up, then

1. Incoming set up as IMAP with security type = TLS
    2. Outgoing set up as SMTP server "smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com"; Security type = None;

All looks good on wifi and otherwise.

Message 4 of 27 (23,854 Views)

I posted this over in the Samsung threads, but these settings should work with any Android, maybe technically any mobile device. Anyhow:

Yes this can be done, but choose to manually setup the account. To quote from another forum:

YAHOO IMAP

Incoming IMAP Mail ServerSetting 
:
User Name user@yahoo.com
Password 
your email password
Incoming Mail Server 
imap.n.mail.yahoo.com
Mail Box Name 
Yahoo IMAP
Mail Box Type 
IMAP
Security 
(Port) : Off
Port 
: Default

Outgoing IMAP Mail ServerSetting :
Email Address user@yahoo.com
User Name 
user@yahoo.com
Password 
your email password
Outgoing Mail Server 
smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Security 
(Port) : Off
Port 

Link:  http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/15600-yahoo-imap-hotmail-pop3-settings.html

Message 5 of 27 (23,845 Views)
Professor

k2kzack wrote:

I followed Tbones post below - "When I was setting it up in the native mail client, I was getting the authentication failure referring to my username/password so I selected Manual set up, changed the inbound mail server security to TLS, finished the set up without further error and all is good, able to send and receive email using that account."

- Select Mail icon

- Select to add new account from Menu Options

- Select to add a POP/IMAP account

-Provide yahoo mail username and password and select Manual Set up, then

1. Incoming set up as IMAP with security type = TLS
    2. Outgoing set up as SMTP server "smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com"; Security type = None;

All looks good on wifi and otherwise.

I was able to setup this way also. However, I used SSL and it worked for me.

Message 6 of 27 (23,829 Views)
Contributor

HI!  I just tried everything that was suggested, and after it said 'next', and I had gotten finished, it said that my name password were 'authentication failed'.. HELP pls!

Shelley

Message 7 of 27 (23,776 Views)
Tutor

You just have to keep trying.  After trying to enter my logon/password a few times and getting the error, I found this forum.  I knew my yahoo account would work because I've used it on my samsung moment for over a year just fine.  I tried all of the tricks mentioned above, and nothing would work.  However, I was determined to make it work.  After about 20-25 tries, it finally took.  Make the suggestions that others did by trying manual vs automatic and changing the security settings back and forth.  Something finally triggered it for me and it finally took after doing the same thing OVER AND OVER AGAIN. 

Message 8 of 27 (22,828 Views)
Contributor

OMG thank you all for your help. I finally got it to work. I almost sold the phone, I was getting so mad!!

Message 9 of 27 (22,701 Views)
Master

techygal wrote:

OMG thank you all for your help. I finally got it to work. I almost sold the phone, I was getting so mad!!

Mine still won't work on my Captivate. Smiley Sad I've entered all the IMAP settings and fields correctly, but it still refuses to work. Smiley Sad I have turned Wi-Fi off as suggested in the "androidcentral" forum, but it still will not go through. I get the error "Setup could not finish: Unable to connect to server".

Any ideas?

Message 10 of 27 (22,604 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Wild Banchi wrote:

techygal wrote:

Mine still won't work on my Captivate. Smiley Sad I've entered all the IMAP settings and fields correctly, but it still refuses to work. Smiley Sad I have turned Wi-Fi off as suggested in the "androidcentral" forum, but it still will not go through. I get the error "Setup could not finish: Unable to connect to server".

Any ideas?

Hey Wild Banchi:  I set up the ATT.net email (which is actually yahoo) with the following settings and that message went away for me:

Incoming:

IMAP Server:   imap.mail.yahoo.com

Security Type : SSL (always)

Port: 993

Outgoing:

SMTP Server:  smpt.mail.yahoo.com

Security Type;  SSL (always)

Port: 465

Requiere Sign-in checked

and of course, your att.net email and password

Not sure how many are taking advantage of the free att.net email but its the same as yahoo.  When i switched from the yahoo direct account to att.net, my logon/password error messages went away.

Message 11 of 27 (13,153 Views)
Tutor

I did finally get my Yahoo mail set up with the regular Mail app provided on the phone.  However, I'm connected to WiFi while at work and now I can't get my yahoo mail to work.

Is this a known issue yahoo when connected to Wifi?

Message 12 of 27 (13,146 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

techygal wrote:

Any ideas?

Hey Wild Banchi:  I set up the ATT.net email (which is actually yahoo) with the following settings and that message went away for me:

Incoming:

IMAP Server:   imap.mail.yahoo.com

Security Type : SSL (always)

Port: 993

Outgoing:

SMTP Server:  smpt.mail.yahoo.com

Security Type;  SSL (always)

Port: 465

Requiere Sign-in checked

and of course, your att.net email and password

Not sure how many are taking advantage of the free att.net email but its the same as yahoo.  When i switched from the yahoo direct account to att.net, my logon/password error messages went away.

Thanks, RicoLX. I will give it a try tomorrow when I have some more time. I'm guessing that I would have to have Wi-Fi disabled to fully be able to access the mail? If this is going to be a problem, then I'll just use my Mail app on my iPod Touch. It has absolutely no problem recognizing my Yahoo! Mail account on there... It must be some type of Android issue with the Yahoo! accounts or something...

Message 13 of 27 (13,126 Views)
Master

cmiddl01 wrote:

I did finally get my Yahoo mail set up with the regular Mail app provided on the phone.  However, I'm connected to WiFi while at work and now I can't get my yahoo mail to work.

Is this a known issue yahoo when connected to Wifi?

I sure hope not. I always check my Yahoo! Mail account on my Touch, and it works. (I guess I'm kind of re-explaining my above post, whoops... Smiley Wink) But Wi-Fi is a MUST for me, as I don't want to incur any prepaid data charges through the data network on my Captivate while trying to just check my mail... I hope this is going to work out as planned...

Message 14 of 27 (13,125 Views)
Contributor

I had problems also with yahoo and hotmail. Sometimes I'd get new emails other times I wouldn't, whether on WIFI or not.

Solved my problem with an app called K9-MAIL from the market. Best email app I've used.

Message 15 of 27 (13,078 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.