The Samsung Galaxy S24
dchacons's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Friday, August 5th, 2011 3:52 PM

HTC Inspire 4g OTA update for sideloading apps

Hi, Im from Costa Rica and just bought the great HTC Inspire 4g, love it!!

I just know that AT&T released an OTA update for sideloading apps, I was wondering if I can recived this update, in my country there is not At&t network, I know, to bad!!, so I was wondering if there is a way to recived this OTA update outside USA, please If anyone can help me!!!  Smiley Sad

P.D: I read son forums and people say to me to root the phone, but I don't want to do that!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Yuuuuuuuupiiiiiiiiiiiii love HTC, Adroid 2.3.3 is now available for my inspire, and I can update ir even do I'm not in usa dowloading the rom, excelent!!!

http://www.htc.com/us/support/inspire-att/downloads/

P.D: Para todos los que tienen este teléfono en América, nada ingresan a ese link lo bajan y lo instalan 🙂

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Sideloading apps can get you in big trouble. Plus sideloading will put a $9.99 charge on your account per month. Also How did you get a ATT phone if there is no ATT in your area? ATT and their forums can not help you if you are not a customer.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for your answer, as you should know you can buy unlocked, no plan phones from Amazon.com and many other stores, this phones are buying by people that lives outside USA, and want to enjoy this excelents phones, in my country doesn´t exists an AT&T network, but the local network provider works on the 850 band, the same as AT&T so all the At&t phones works great!

That is why I ask this question, If you can provide me the OTA update, that by the way is an OTA update from your company so I don´t understand why you say that is dangerous.

In this site I found that the OTA for non market applications was release by AT&T for the inspire http://phandroid.com/2011/05/20/att-now-allowing-inspire-4g-users-to-install-non-market-apps/

So I come back to my original question, is there a way in which I can get that update outside USA, thanks, like the updates that I recive from other applications like skype, even do I'm no in USA, thanks!!

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

This is a user to user forum, as such, there will be no official responses from AT&T here.

If the device is not on the AT&T network, the only way to get updates would be to root the device or possibly loading a custom ROM.

Frankly, you would have been better off buying the non-AT&T branded version of the Inspire, if one exists.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

@Programmer56 wrote:

Sideloading apps can get you in big trouble. Plus sideloading will put a $9.99 charge on your account per month. Also How did you get a ATT phone if there is no ATT in your area? ATT and their forums can not help you if you are not a customer.

I just ordered the Inspire as well. Should be getting it today. This is my first Android phone and I've been only researching this for a couple of weeks. But this is the first time I've read any mention about an additional monthly charge for sideloading apps. Can you elaborate on this or point me to a page that details this. Thank you.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks, no that version doesn´t exists, so there is no way to get this OTA outside of USA?? There is not a manual download of this??

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

There is no additional charge for sideloading apps. AT&T can push the update to your phone (maybe, if your phone will accept it) to allow you to load 3'rd party apps. They do not charge for this update. If you are not on the AT&T network, you will probably have to root to get that functionality. The pushed update is hit or miss anyhow. AT&T has been trying to get it to push to my Inspire now for over a month and a half, with no luck. My guess is this will be a moot point when they finally release Gingerbread (Android 2.3) later this month.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Hi, do you think this option will be include by default by the android 2.3 update? One question this OTA update from AT&T, for sideloading apps, can be obtain directly from HTC? I mean, can I ask HTC that push this update to my phone (I recive all HTC updates even do Im in other network)?

By the way what is an OTA update, is some kind of file that is execute by the phone?, can I get this file in some place, I really no want to root the phone, but I need to install some non market applications from my country, thanks!

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

OTA = Over The Air

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Hi, thanks, I already knew that, but my question was if there is a way in which the update can be done on the earth 😛 I guess no.

Ok now have two questions:

1- Does the Android 2.3 will give the hability to install non market applications to the HTC Inspire?

R-

2- Does the Android 2.3 for HTC Inspire can be obtain in an OTA update from HTC (I hope so) or only by an OTA update from AT&T?

R-

Thanks everybody

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.