The Samsung Galaxy S24
raulmiami's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 25th, 2013 7:03 PM

HTC HDMI MEDIA LINK HD disabled on HTC One - Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot plan is required error message

I pre-ordered the HTC One which came with a free HTC HDMI MEDIA LINK HD Device.

I cannot get the HTC HDMI MEDIA LINK HD to connect to my phone. It connects and promptly tells me that a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot plan is required. I tried it in airplane mode which disables mobile data but still get the error and get dropped.

Nowhere anywhere on HTC's site or any of the reviews that I read does it mention that this is required. This is IMHO a limitation imposed by ATT.

Technical Rant:

I am not sharing data access with any devices. The phone mirrors the display output and sends it to the HTC HDMI MEDIA LINK HD. No data requests are forwarded out through the device. If the mobile data is on, the data requested is only used on the phone.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? We need to voice our displeasure! I do not want to believe that this is a planned attempt to get unlimited data users to switch to a limited tethering plan.

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

HTC now has an update that fixes this for the HTC One. Open Settings, then click About, then click Software Updates. It should fix the hotspot problem.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Weird.  Media Link shouldn't have anything to do with Mobile Hot-spot (tethering).  To me this is clearly a blunder on AT&T's part.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Ditto here. I just set mine up and discovered the same thing. This is terrible customer service. Why would they give us a device we can't user with our current plan!? Very unhappy.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I spoke with AT&T about this issue on 4/24. The customer service rep kept insisting that tethering was required and refused to listen when i tried to explain how the Medialink should work. When I told him that it wasn't fair that people with unlimited plans like myself be forced to switch, He replied that AT&T are not thinking of the "minority of it's customers still on unlimited data plans". He also said that if people want to use the device they would switch plans. Hopefully HTC will release a fix because we can't depend on AT&T. They just want more money out of people, and to think I've stuck with them for over 8 years...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I ran into the same problem and got the same response from ATT. I explained that it works on other phones without a tethering plan and that there is no documentation with the device or from ATT stating that a tethering plan is required. The operator forwarded me to HTC. Their respons is that this is a known bug and they don't have an eta when it will be fixed. They suggested a work around by switching on airplane mode. But like others have stated, this only works for a minute or so.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Yep this is all wrong. If anyone tells you that you need a tethering or mobile hotspot plan to use the HTC Media Link HD they are lying to you, well maybe not lying but uninformed and it's a shame that AT&T customer service reps are forcing people to switch to a different plan becuase of this.

AT&T really doesn't know about this issue, but HTC does and they are currently working on the fix for it but there is no ETA as to when the fix will be available.

I posted in-depth all about this issue on my site here: http://blog.testfreaks.com/news/att-htc-one-not-quite-compatible-with-htc-media-link-hd-yet/

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I don't see any software update on phone. Is it over phone or on Media link that we need to update SW.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

You get the update directly from HTC on the phone.  Go to settings, then "about."  At the top there is a software update link.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

looks like the update of today has corrected this. I lost my HTC update during a wipe last week but now it's working after today's update.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I figured out how to connect peer to peer, by going in to settings on your phone hit wifi and tell your wifi to foreget your router, by tapping your router name it should come up with the option to forget.  Then reset your htc media link and phone.  Next turn off mobil data and then do the three fingure swipe and walla!!!  Pain in the you know what and I'd love to give ATT a piece of my mind, but clearly they could give a [word filter avoidance]

I too had same issues with tech supposrt I even went as far as turning on the mobile hotspot and it still said the same thing so we of course switched it back.  I would think that Att would be more on this because first of all I paid 300 for this thing and second its part of their main selling portion of their new flag ship phone.  [word filter avoidance]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.