The Samsung Galaxy S24
NatLWalker's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 2:32 PM

Google Talk Voice and Video Chat - Blocked on HSPA+/LTE

No one seems to want to ask this, but I want to know why I'm basically forced to install a 3rd party applicaton (Skype) that cannot run on boot and drains an inordinate amount of battery running in the background to do something my phone is supposed to do by itself.  Everyone I know on Verizon and Sprint can use the Voice and Video Chat in Google Talk on the data network, but I'm stuck trying to convince people to install a 3rd party application and sign up for yet another account just to Video Chat with them.

No, I'm not using Google+.  I don't want a Google Profile, and I shouldn't need to go through these hoops for this, especially seeing as how the iPhone was blessed with FaceTime over 3G/LTE and AT&T has no issues allowing them to use it on their data network.

When will you people roll out an update to Android devices to unblock this, or should we ETF and move to Verizon instead?

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

11 years ago

I don't think it has anything to do with the AT&T software, just the service. On my Galaxy Nexus which is running stock Google software I can't use Google Talk voice chat over 3G either, so it must be that Google itself prohibits this from happening when on AT&T network. I'm sure if AT&T lifted the restriction Google would update the app as well.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

It's AT&T. AT&T Android devices ship with a glass set in system files to lock it to Wifi only, and they have the ports blocked on their mobile network which is why Face Time over Cellular didn't need a FW update to enable. They simply unblocked the port. For my phone, AT&T would have to unblock the ports & issue a FW update to unset that flag, otherwise only accessible if you root.

It's like that on all their phones. Verizon doesn't do this. Will likely switch next month or so no biggie.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

With a glass should read with a flag...

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

has this issue been solved?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.