Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Google Pixel

Contributor

Google Pixel

Is there a clear date on the arrival of the Google Pixel phones at AT&T?

Message 1 of 35
ACE - Expert

Re: Google Pixel

According to google never. It's verizon exclusive period. You can buy it on the Google store.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 35
Contributor

Has anyone found out the date yet? I'm not sure att even knows, they know they signed a contract.. probably haven't gotten a date from Google yet.
Message 3 of 35
ACE - Expert

It isn't going to happen.  Google has a deal to sell with Verizon and has stated more than once that is it.  The phone is only sold through Verizon because they MUST sell their phones unlocked.

Google will not lock the phone.  Period.  

Since all other carrier lock their phones, Google won't deal with them.  

If you want one, order from Google, or Best Buy.  Google has a payment plan.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 35
Contributor

Thank you. I hear what you're saying, and I had no problem believing that until I talked to someone at at&t. I was interested in the Next program, which is the only reason I cared about where I'd get the phone. Either way, I'm tired of waiting, so to the Google store I go, for a 3-4 week ship date...
Message 5 of 35
ACE - Expert

What some rep that thinks they know what going on that's really not. Stores and almost 95% of call center staff have no idea a phone is being released till it's on att.com. there is a reason T-Mobile will give you 300 bucks to move to them with a pixel. There going after vzw customers.
Message 6 of 35
ACE - Expert

@Lastchance2500

Next charges you retail price plus tax, plus  $20 upgrade fee.  

Google charges retail plus tax.   For the sake of $20, Google gets the sale.  Google only has a 24 month option.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 7 of 35
Contributor

Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated.
Message 8 of 35
Contributor

I get the whole verizon exclusive deal.... which as a fact was only set up for a short time and the contract has or is about to run out, meaning it could be sold anywhere. I'm also not sure where you get AT&T only sells locked phones..... unless something heavily changed, as recently as last year, most notably, they sold Windows phones that could be unlocked by hand with 2 minutes of spare time, so I don't see where the problem is. Btw the windows were eligible for next, so also didn't have to pay up front. I'm not saying they are coming to AT&T one way or another, but the way the contract with Verizon is drawn up they will likely be seen at more than just verizon
Message 9 of 35
ACE - Expert

Att does only sell LOCKED phones. The att 950 is locked to att. You have to use the device portal to unlock it. All Android and iPhone sold thru att are locked.
Message 10 of 35
ACE - Expert

Kramer242 wrote:
I get the whole verizon exclusive deal.... which as a fact was only set up for a short time and the contract has or is about to run out, meaning it could be sold anywhere. I'm also not sure where you get AT&T only sells locked phones..... unless something heavily changed, as recently as last year, most notably, they sold Windows phones that could be unlocked by hand with 2 minutes of spare time, so I don't see where the problem is. Btw the windows were eligible for next, so also didn't have to pay up front. I'm not saying they are coming to AT&T one way or another, but the way the contract with Verizon is drawn up they will likely be seen at more than just verizon

No one said ATT (or other network) phones can't be unlocked, but they are most definitely sold locked to the network.

The Verizon Add was nonsense from day one.  The phone was sold (from day one) by Google store, Google Fi and Best Buy as well as Verizon from day one.  

The  only carrier that sells all phones unlocked out of the box is Verizon.  So they got the deal.  Brilliant marketing as Verizon provides a major sales store front for the phone.  

Message 11 of 35
Employee

He is talking about the Lumia 640 and the Device Unlock Portal glitch/issue that happened that allowed people to unlock it without using it on prepaid for 6 months.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 35
Contributor

There was a time AT&T had the exclusive cotract to sell iphones. From a sales point of view, it makes no sense whatsoever for the phone (Pixel) to be sold longterm by one carrier and lose out on all that business. My guess it's a matter of time.

Message 13 of 35
ACE - Expert

lhlopez1 wrote:

There was a time AT&T had the exclusive cotract to sell iphones. From a sales point of view, it makes no sense whatsoever for the phone (Pixel) to be sold longterm by one carrier and lose out on all that business. My guess it's a matter of time.

Not unless ATT sells the phone unlocked, which ATT will not do.  Google has no intention of letting this phone become just another android.  The phone is (finally) a direct competition to iPhone.  No carrier bloat or software.  No carrier OS updates and no carrier lock.

There would have to be a big change in ATT policy for Google to let ATT or any other carrier sell the follow up phone to this Pixel.   

Since Google can't keep up with orders, they have no need of carrier store front sales.

Message 14 of 35
Contributor

I bought a Pixel and tried setting it up and had an awful time getting the hotspot / tethering function to work, then when I finally did (after hours on the phone with Google and ATT), it was VASTLY slower than my old iPhone 5 (even with 5 bars of reception). So a big fail there...

Then, the Pixel wouldn't attach or stay attached via Bluetooth either to my 3 year old MacBook Pro or my 2 year old Subaru, and it when it did occasionally attach to my Subaru the hands-free voice feature still didn't work through my car's Bluetooth. Another big fail..

I had high hopes for using the Pixel on my ATT account, but at this point I'm returning it and getting an iPhone 7 ... lesson learned ... never buy a device that isn't offered through my carrier.

Message 15 of 35
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support