Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Google Pixel and ATT

Highlighted
Contributor

Google Pixel and ATT

I know that the pixel is a "verizon retail exclusive," but if purchased from the google store or Best Buy can the phone use an existing SIM card or phone number with ATT? If not, that probably just means I shouldn't spend the money...
Message 1 of 55
ACE - Expert

Re: Google Pixel and ATT

@Heywow

what phone you have now?

I bought a pixel xl and will just swap sim cards out of my s7 active.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 55
Contributor

@GLIMMERMAN76 Currently have an IPhone 6.
Message 3 of 55
ACE - Sage

I had no problem swapping SIM cards to iPhone 6 Plus, and back to android (Nexus 6P) again.  If your SIM card is marked with Apple logo, you may need another one.  ATT corporate store will set you up for free.  

I am also seriously considering the Pixel.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 55
Contributor

@lizdance40 So I can use the pixel with at&t? That was my basic question, I'm fine taking it to a store if I need to. Just didn't know if the hardware was different enough I wouldn't be able to.
Message 5 of 55
ACE - Sage

Abso-freaking-lutely.  Smiley Wink

The previous 6p worked very well.   The Pixel will work on any carrier.  

Im aiming for the smaller of the phones, but the XL has better camera if I understand the specs.

I want blue, butojce in a case, who cares.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 55
ACE - Expert

@Heywow

the pixel is made to work anywhere in the world for the most part.

Message 7 of 55
Voyager

Will the Pixel support VOLTE and WIFI-callin on the AT&T network?

Message 8 of 55
ACE - Expert

I doubt it.  I will see when I get mine.

Message 9 of 55
Contributor

Will the pixel if sold under at&t the will be locked under at&t that includes boolider and the sim?
Message 10 of 55
ACE - Expert

yes it will be sim locked just like the N6 was...  And if verizon is locking the bootloader att will follow suit.  I just dont see ATT selling it.

Message 11 of 55
Teacher

Support for VoLTE, WiFi Calling, and other advanced features on non-ATT-branded phones like Pixel is important.  AT&T is now the only carrier who has VoLTE but chooses to not support most non-branded phones.

Even Verizon is now allowing WiFi Calling on non-branded phones.  VoLTE and WiFi Calling have been working for a long time on T-Mobile.  I guess AT&T is fixed on keeping the "Evil Empire" throne...

Message 12 of 55
ACE - Expert

lizdance40 wrote:

Abso-freaking-lutely.  Smiley Wink

The previous 6p worked very well.   The Pixel will work on any carrier.  

Im aiming for the smaller of the phones, but the XL has better camera if I understand the specs.

I want blue, butojce in a case, who cares.

According to the specs as they're written in the store listing, the cameras are identical. The only differences are the screens (along with the physical sizes) and batteries, the rest of the phones are identical.

Just as everyone else here I doubt that the VoLTE will work, but it shouldn't detract you. If you really miss it and Wi-Fi calling you can always just take that same Pixel phone to VZW and get those features without having to get a new device Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 55
ACE - Sage

@dmapr.   You are correct.  I was reading a "review " from a bozo who hadn't actually seen or held the phone.  His review was based more on his hands on with the Nexus 6p and 5x, which weren't even by the same manufacturer.    He was wrong about more than a few things.  Never trust a Hufflepuff review LOL.

The GSM arena has the specs identicle except for battery and size.  

I already have a case.  Can't wait for the phone. 

Message 14 of 55
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40, I know exactly what you're talking about. Never ceases to amaze me how many "reviews" pop up around based on rumors and anticipation rather than actual hands on experience or even official specs. Personally I decided to sit out the first round of Pixels as I'm still plenty happy with my Nexus 6P, but I have to admit, they look pretty sweet.

Message 15 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support