Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 16, 2013
11:09:34 AM
View profile
Google Hangouts video not working over LTE
Edited by superm1 on May 16, 2013 at 11:13:34 AM

So I just got the update to Google Hangouts on my GS3 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.talk).  When I am on wifi I have no problem talking with iPhones that are on LTE.  When i'm on LTE I can't seem to do a video call.  It insists that I go on wifi.

I have a coworker who tried on his GS3 on T-Mo and it had no problem making a video call over HSPA.

What's wrong?  Why is this restricted on AT&T?  I have 3GB data plan I pay for.

So I just got the update to Google Hangouts on my GS3 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.talk).  When I am on wifi I have no problem talking with iPhones that are on LTE.  When i'm on LTE I can't seem to do a video call.  It insists that I go on wifi.

I have a coworker who tried on his GS3 on T-Mo and it had no problem making a video call over HSPA.

What's wrong?  Why is this restricted on AT&T?  I have 3GB data plan I pay for.

Google Hangouts video not working over LTE

[ Edited ]
6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2013 12:50:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Yeah it's definitely something that was noticed, I would suggest getting in touch with the google app developers as they are responsible for ensuring that aops work on cellular bands. If google confirms its not from their end, contact Customer Care at (800)331-0500
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Yeah it's definitely something that was noticed, I would suggest getting in touch with the google app developers as they are responsible for ensuring that aops work on cellular bands. If google confirms its not from their end, contact Customer Care at (800)331-0500
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Hangouts video not working over LTE

2 of 7 (6,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2013 2:24:00 PM
(0)
Mentor
I've already read an article that said AT&T is blocking video chat on cellular.

Come on AT&T, let me use the data I pay for.
I've already read an article that said AT&T is blocking video chat on cellular.

Come on AT&T, let me use the data I pay for.

3 of 7 (6,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2013 6:07:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
Their excuse is the developer or company must attain prrmission for pre-loaded apps using this feature. Being this is not a pre-loaded app they have no leg to stand on denying its use over data/4g/3g. Start filing complaints with the FCC/BBB, they need to start treating paying customers a whole lot better or pay the price themselves.
Their excuse is the developer or company must attain prrmission for pre-loaded apps using this feature. Being this is not a pre-loaded app they have no leg to stand on denying its use over data/4g/3g. Start filing complaints with the FCC/BBB, they need to start treating paying customers a whole lot better or pay the price themselves.

4 of 7 (6,380 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2013 8:50:15 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on May 17, 2013 at 9:16:35 PM

Works on at&t iphone via LTE but not Samsung S4 on at&t via LTE?????

[corrected formatting]

Works on at&t iphone via LTE but not Samsung S4 on at&t via LTE?????

[corrected formatting]

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (6,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2013 8:08:17 PM
(0)
Professor

This is typical underhanded bullstuff from AT&T. They won't let you use already paid for data on a service that is similar to what they offer because they want you to pay extra by buying that service from them. Not only should this work with LTE, it should work with any form of data. If you bought the data and you have the app to do it, it should be allowed. This is one of the main reasons AT&T continues to be last in customer satisfaction surveys.

This is typical underhanded bullstuff from AT&T. They won't let you use already paid for data on a service that is similar to what they offer because they want you to pay extra by buying that service from them. Not only should this work with LTE, it should work with any form of data. If you bought the data and you have the app to do it, it should be allowed. This is one of the main reasons AT&T continues to be last in customer satisfaction surveys.

6 of 7 (6,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 8:13:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

If your phone is rooted, install this, run it and reboot. You'll be able to do video over mobile data. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.innodroid.gtalkenabler

If your phone is rooted, install this, run it and reboot. You'll be able to do video over mobile data. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.innodroid.gtalkenabler

7 of 7 (4,391 Views)