For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
bingram's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 10:51 PM

Getting on the data network with my phone and filtering via thru to my laptop

Can I get on the data network from my phone while this is on, (Bluetooth, or NFC connected between both devices) and to filter thru to my laptop vs. going onto the internet by Wi-Fi.  My laptop has only Wi-Fi, which is the only way to go on the internet.  The purpose of my question is since some of my friends and relatives don't have Wi-Fi. I only need to have data network for one week (do not want to pay for another data service, along with a hotspot device either). Already paying for Unlimited Service + Data. I'm thinking there has to be another way, yes, or no? Do any of you have any ideas?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I'm not quite understanding what you want to do. Wifi is simply a method of connecting to internet service. Internet service is either through the cellular network and your data plan or home internet service. If your friends and relatives don't have wifi, that probably means they don't have home internet service either. In that case, your only option for a data network is your cellular service and data plan. If you are asking how can your laptop use your phone's cellular internet connection, you can do that through your phone's hotspot provided your data plan supports hotspot.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the reply Sand! You do seem like you were understanding what I was trying to do! I do have the cell service and data plan. My phone supports Mobile Hotspot, but I don't want to pay for another/extra pricing (second data plan along with the one I have now), especially for wanting to use my laptop with this just for one week. Yes, I know about with Wi-Fi and the home internet service. I know my relative has a cell phone and they would at least have a cellular service (which means I couldn't go on my laptop) unless they have Wi-Fi somehow. Also I think they still have an email address too.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.