The Samsung Galaxy S24
the-beard's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Friday, November 15th, 2013 4:59 PM

Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

10 years ago

@the-beard wrote:

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

According to Samsung's internal documents, AT&T's update was supposed to begin rolling out on November 13. However, Samsung (for once, it's not AT&T's fault) has ROYALLY screwed the pooch with this update, as many European users encountered serious bugs after applying the update to their phones. As a result, Samsung pulled the update and it's unknown when it will be patched and rolled out again. Unfortunately, it'll have to be tested by the carriers again, which leads me to believe that you'll be eligible for an upgrade by the time it comes out. For what it's worth, this issue is worldwide and no U.S. carrier has rolled it out to their S3 variants.

I've purchased a Nexus 5 on the day it was released and gave my S4 Google Edition to my wife. We're now completely free of carrier-branded, OEM-skinned, bloatware-ridden phones. I highly recommend picking up one of those devices, as they eliminate the constant update delays.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

And how would you have access to Samsung's internal documents. AFAIK everything I've been told you should expect the GS3 update the week after the GS4 update so sometime around the 20-22.

Scholar

• 

70 Messages

10 years ago

According to plenty of news reports citing Samsung they are having to start over. The interesting part of this equation is without this software no s3's can run the new Smart Watch that they have out. I imagine thier going to try to get it out before Christmas.

Scholar

• 

70 Messages

10 years ago

Also this is proof that no carrier actually test updates since it would have been caught as soon as the carriers acquired it for testing. Fail for Samsung and carriers.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

10 years ago

@dickeymo69 wrote:
And how would you have access to Samsung's internal documents. AFAIK everything I've been told you should expect the GS3 update the week after the GS4 update so sometime around the 20-22.

I don't have access to Samsung's internal documents. However, many bloggers do 😉

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

10 years ago

@kgbkny wrote:

@the-beard wrote:

According to Samsung's internal documents, AT&T's update was supposed to begin rolling out on November 13. However, Samsung (for once, it's not AT&T's fault) has ROYALLY screwed the pooch with this update, as many European users encountered serious bugs after applying the update to their phones. As a result, Samsung pulled the update and it's unknown when it will be patched and rolled out again. Unfortunately, it'll have to be tested by the carriers again, which leads me to believe that you'll be eligible for an upgrade by the time it comes out. For what it's worth, this issue is worldwide and no U.S. carrier has rolled it out to their S3 variants.

I've purchased a Nexus 5 on the day it was released and gave my S4 Google Edition to my wife. We're now completely free of carrier-branded, OEM-skinned, bloatware-ridden phones. I highly recommend picking up one of those devices, as they eliminate the constant update delays.

I need a replaceable battery ruling out the Nexus 5. If AT&T would give me money off my phone bill when I purchased unsubsidized phones, then I would happily buy the S4 Google Edition. Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for a bill that subsidizing phone purchasing and pay the unsubsidized price for that phone. If you'd like to kick in the extra $450, I'll gladly take your advice and get the play edition!

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

Samsung has Pulled the 4.3 Update for Galaxy S3 for now.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-android-4-3-update-hold-samsung-318014/

Guru

• 

309 Messages

10 years ago

@hertzsae wrote:

@kgbkny wrote:

@the-beard wrote:

I need a replaceable battery ruling out the Nexus 5. If AT&T would give me money off my phone bill when I purchased unsubsidized phones, then I would happily buy the S4 Google Edition. Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for a bill that subsidizing phone purchasing and pay the unsubsidized price for that phone. If you'd like to kick in the extra $450, I'll gladly take your advice and get the play edition!

Get a high-end subsidized phone and flip it on eBay. You'll make a decent amount of money to help cover the cost of a Google Edition device. In fact, if you flip an iPhone, you'll most likely be able to get the GS4GE at a price that you'd pay for a GS4 subsidized by AT&T.

Former Employee

• 

59 Messages

10 years ago

Update is available now via wifi.

• Android 4.3 OS upgrade:   
  • Galaxy Gear compatibility
  • “Samsung Hub” Preload
  • “Samsung Apps” preloaded
  • Samsung Group Play 2.5
  • Support of the following:
    • “Share Video”
    • “Sound & Shot” in Camera
    • “Group Messaging”
    • Connection with “gamepad” accessory
  • Replace “Allshare Play” with “Samsung Link”
  • Easy Mode 2.0
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.