Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us NOW for a live “Ask an Expert” event!

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 15, 2013
8:59:35 AM
Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

177 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(177)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 11:45:24 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by kgbkny on Nov 15, 2013 at 11:45:47 AM

the-beard wrote:

According to Samsung's internal documents, AT&T's update was supposed to begin rolling out on November 13. However, Samsung (for once, it's not AT&T's fault) has ROYALLY screwed the pooch with this update, as many European users encountered serious bugs after applying the update to their phones. As a result, Samsung pulled the update and it's unknown when it will be patched and rolled out again. Unfortunately, it'll have to be tested by the carriers again, which leads me to believe that you'll be eligible for an upgrade by the time it comes out. For what it's worth, this issue is worldwide and no U.S. carrier has rolled it out to their S3 variants.

I've purchased a Nexus 5 on the day it was released and gave my S4 Google Edition to my wife. We're now completely free of carrier-branded, OEM-skinned, bloatware-ridden phones. I highly recommend picking up one of those devices, as they eliminate the constant update delays.

the-beard wrote:

According to Samsung's internal documents, AT&T's update was supposed to begin rolling out on November 13. However, Samsung (for once, it's not AT&T's fault) has ROYALLY screwed the pooch with this update, as many European users encountered serious bugs after applying the update to their phones. As a result, Samsung pulled the update and it's unknown when it will be patched and rolled out again. Unfortunately, it'll have to be tested by the carriers again, which leads me to believe that you'll be eligible for an upgrade by the time it comes out. For what it's worth, this issue is worldwide and no U.S. carrier has rolled it out to their S3 variants.

I've purchased a Nexus 5 on the day it was released and gave my S4 Google Edition to my wife. We're now completely free of carrier-branded, OEM-skinned, bloatware-ridden phones. I highly recommend picking up one of those devices, as they eliminate the constant update delays.

Re: Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

[ Edited ]
2 of 178 (23,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 6:58:06 PM
(0)
Mentor
And how would you have access to Samsung's internal documents. AFAIK everything I've been told you should expect the GS3 update the week after the GS4 update so sometime around the 20-22.
And how would you have access to Samsung's internal documents. AFAIK everything I've been told you should expect the GS3 update the week after the GS4 update so sometime around the 20-22.

3 of 178 (23,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2013 7:24:09 AM
(0)
Scholar
According to plenty of news reports citing Samsung they are having to start over. The interesting part of this equation is without this software no s3's can run the new Smart Watch that they have out. I imagine thier going to try to get it out before Christmas.
According to plenty of news reports citing Samsung they are having to start over. The interesting part of this equation is without this software no s3's can run the new Smart Watch that they have out. I imagine thier going to try to get it out before Christmas.

4 of 178 (23,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2013 7:31:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
Also this is proof that no carrier actually test updates since it would have been caught as soon as the carriers acquired it for testing. Fail for Samsung and carriers.
Also this is proof that no carrier actually test updates since it would have been caught as soon as the carriers acquired it for testing. Fail for Samsung and carriers.

5 of 178 (23,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 11:27:57 AM
(0)
Guru

dickeymo69 wrote:

I don't have access to Samsung's internal documents. However, many bloggers do Smiley Wink

dickeymo69 wrote:

I don't have access to Samsung's internal documents. However, many bloggers do Smiley Wink

6 of 178 (22,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 3:36:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

kgbkny wrote:

the-beard wrote:

I need a replaceable battery ruling out the Nexus 5. If AT&T would give me money off my phone bill when I purchased unsubsidized phones, then I would happily buy the S4 Google Edition. Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for a bill that subsidizing phone purchasing and pay the unsubsidized price for that phone. If you'd like to kick in the extra $450, I'll gladly take your advice and get the play edition!

kgbkny wrote:

the-beard wrote:

I need a replaceable battery ruling out the Nexus 5. If AT&T would give me money off my phone bill when I purchased unsubsidized phones, then I would happily buy the S4 Google Edition. Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for a bill that subsidizing phone purchasing and pay the unsubsidized price for that phone. If you'd like to kick in the extra $450, I'll gladly take your advice and get the play edition!

7 of 178 (22,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 5:00:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

Samsung has Pulled the 4.3 Update for Galaxy S3 for now.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-android-4-3-update-hold-samsung-318014/

Samsung has Pulled the 4.3 Update for Galaxy S3 for now.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-android-4-3-update-hold-samsung-318014/

8 of 178 (22,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 7:22:40 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by kgbkny on Nov 19, 2013 at 7:24:03 AM

hertzsae wrote:

kgbkny wrote:

the-beard wrote:

Get a high-end subsidized phone and flip it on eBay. You'll make a decent amount of money to help cover the cost of a Google Edition device. In fact, if you flip an iPhone, you'll most likely be able to get the GS4GE at a price that you'd pay for a GS4 subsidized by AT&T.

hertzsae wrote:

kgbkny wrote:

the-beard wrote:

Get a high-end subsidized phone and flip it on eBay. You'll make a decent amount of money to help cover the cost of a Google Edition device. In fact, if you flip an iPhone, you'll most likely be able to get the GS4GE at a price that you'd pay for a GS4 subsidized by AT&T.

[ Edited ]
9 of 178 (22,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 6:12:12 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by NJR on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:13:59 AM

Update is available now via wifi.

• Android 4.3 OS upgrade:   
  • Galaxy Gear compatibility
  • “Samsung Hub” Preload
  • “Samsung Apps” preloaded
  • Samsung Group Play 2.5
  • Support of the following:
    • “Share Video”
    • “Sound & Shot” in Camera
    • “Group Messaging”
    • Connection with “gamepad” accessory
  • Replace “Allshare Play” with “Samsung Link”
  • Easy Mode 2.0

Update is available now via wifi.

• Android 4.3 OS upgrade:   
  • Galaxy Gear compatibility
  • “Samsung Hub” Preload
  • “Samsung Apps” preloaded
  • Samsung Group Play 2.5
  • Support of the following:
    • “Share Video”
    • “Sound & Shot” in Camera
    • “Group Messaging”
    • Connection with “gamepad” accessory
  • Replace “Allshare Play” with “Samsung Link”
  • Easy Mode 2.0
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
11 of 178 (22,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 10:26:53 AM
(0)
Mentor
Installed and running fine so far.
Installed and running fine so far.

12 of 178 (22,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 12:37:50 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by txprphan on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:45:13 PM

You're sure it's "running fine", right? You're profile says you're running a Nokia 2600...  You installed the 4.3 update on a Galaxy S3?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make as sure as possible before I screw the pooch...

You're sure it's "running fine", right? You're profile says you're running a Nokia 2600...  You installed the 4.3 update on a Galaxy S3?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make as sure as possible before I screw the pooch...

[ Edited ]
13 of 178 (22,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 12:57:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have attempted to update my samsung s3 via wifi from AT&T but only got to 32% during the update and then it said update failed? What is the fix for this problem? I have tried several times to no avail.

I have attempted to update my samsung s3 via wifi from AT&T but only got to 32% during the update and then it said update failed? What is the fix for this problem? I have tried several times to no avail.

14 of 178 (22,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 1:20:19 PM
(0)
Explorer
It sounds like a lot of people are hitting AT&T's servers at once for the update.
It sounds like a lot of people are hitting AT&T's servers at once for the update.

15 of 178 (22,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 2:51:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Set the date on your device to one day ahead. You should be able to re-commence the download process.

Set the date on your device to one day ahead. You should be able to re-commence the download process.

16 of 178 (22,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 3:51:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

Per another thread (and various reports on around the net) the 4.3 update was live and then was pulled due to reported issues. For those of you that have upgraded, how's your battery life and are you experiencing any other problems?

Other thread with links to reports of it being pulled:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Galaxy-s3-android-update-to-4-3/td-p/3818523

Per another thread (and various reports on around the net) the 4.3 update was live and then was pulled due to reported issues. For those of you that have upgraded, how's your battery life and are you experiencing any other problems?

Other thread with links to reports of it being pulled:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Galaxy-s3-android-update-to-4-3/td-p/3818523

Galaxy S3 Update to 4.3 reliable?

17 of 178 (21,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 4:01:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

Those issues are  for the UK and Irish i9300 models which is way different than the SGH-I747 we have. I've been running the update for about 6 hours now and the update is very reliable.  Everything is much faster now.  I haven't run into any bugs or issues yet.  The only thing is that the battery drains slightly faster than before the update.  Usually it takes about 7 to 10 days after the update for battery consumption to go back to normal.

Those issues are  for the UK and Irish i9300 models which is way different than the SGH-I747 we have. I've been running the update for about 6 hours now and the update is very reliable.  Everything is much faster now.  I haven't run into any bugs or issues yet.  The only thing is that the battery drains slightly faster than before the update.  Usually it takes about 7 to 10 days after the update for battery consumption to go back to normal.

Re: Galaxy S3 Update to 4.3 reliable?

18 of 178 (21,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 4:04:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

I recently updated my Galaxy S3 to android 4.3 and I gotta say it is a great update. My phone runs much faster and the improvements all around are very nice.  Its like I have a brand new phone.  My only complaint, which i hope you pass down to AT&T and Samsung's software engineers is that It would have been nice if you would've updated the touchwiz launcher and weather widget to look like whats on the S4/Note 3.  I hope and expect that you release a patch to update these very soon. I am definitely leaning on purchasing an S5 when its released and if you update the launcher and weather widget I will definitely be buying an S5 with AT&T.

Good job Samsung and AT&T on this update.

I recently updated my Galaxy S3 to android 4.3 and I gotta say it is a great update. My phone runs much faster and the improvements all around are very nice.  Its like I have a brand new phone.  My only complaint, which i hope you pass down to AT&T and Samsung's software engineers is that It would have been nice if you would've updated the touchwiz launcher and weather widget to look like whats on the S4/Note 3.  I hope and expect that you release a patch to update these very soon. I am definitely leaning on purchasing an S5 when its released and if you update the launcher and weather widget I will definitely be buying an S5 with AT&T.

Good job Samsung and AT&T on this update.

19 of 178 (21,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 4:49:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

Update for S3 was Pulled by Samsung.  People having issues with it for Now.

Update for S3 was Pulled by Samsung.  People having issues with it for Now.

20 of 178 (21,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 5:34:44 PM
(0)
Explorer

Well lets see here, I have waited for 2 hours for the software to download to my phone and guess what it did. It stopped at 35% and said was looking for the server then quit working. So I tried checking for update it said I could check in the next 24 hours. Forget that so I moved my date a day ahead. Now lets see if it will completely download this time. If it doesn't the Google Nexus phone looks pretty sweet on the specs.

Well lets see here, I have waited for 2 hours for the software to download to my phone and guess what it did. It stopped at 35% and said was looking for the server then quit working. So I tried checking for update it said I could check in the next 24 hours. Forget that so I moved my date a day ahead. Now lets see if it will completely download this time. If it doesn't the Google Nexus phone looks pretty sweet on the specs.

21 of 178 (21,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 7:03:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

Got on my S3 and went to the Update setting just for the heck of it, and it said I have an Update. So downloading it now here in Tn.  Can tell it is very Slow 623.10MB to download.

Got on my S3 and went to the Update setting just for the heck of it, and it said I have an Update. So downloading it now here in Tn.  Can tell it is very Slow 623.10MB to download.

Galaxy S3 Update is Downloading Tonight 11/20/2013

22 of 178 (21,771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 7:05:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yep mine in Tn. is downloading now. 623.10MB seems very SLOW download.

Yep mine in Tn. is downloading now. 623.10MB seems very SLOW download.

23 of 178 (21,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 8:49:10 PM
(0)
Explorer
I finally got it to download and it is running better than ever. It only took 4 hours to download. But is good for now !
I finally got it to download and it is running better than ever. It only took 4 hours to download. But is good for now !

24 of 178 (21,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 3:14:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

I just saw that myself I can't believe it I am downloading it now it looks at it will take 20 minutes to download.  I am 14 minutes into it and I am at 48 percent. Will give another update soon. 

I just saw that myself I can't believe it I am downloading it now it looks at it will take 20 minutes to download.  I am 14 minutes into it and I am at 48 percent. Will give another update soon. 

Re: Galaxy S3 Update is Downloading Tonight 11/20/2013

25 of 178 (21,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 4:08:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

My phone said that update is suspended and i need to try in next 48 hours.. I think ATT phone are getting worse and wors same as ATT with all not caring about what customers want..

My phone said that update is suspended and i need to try in next 48 hours.. I think ATT phone are getting worse and wors same as ATT with all not caring about what customers want..

26 of 178 (21,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 4:10:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

I think ATT is so small company they can not handle more then 1 update on time... They always sucks that why i'm thinking to change provider as soon as my contract expire.

I think ATT is so small company they can not handle more then 1 update on time... They always sucks that why i'm thinking to change provider as soon as my contract expire.

27 of 178 (21,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 4:40:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

ok download of the update was about 30 minutes adn updating was about 15 minutes it almost looks like the phone bricks at certain points but just letting it do the update it came up no problem.  It does seem quicker and the settings meu has changed and the mobile data butto is gone.  It does have knox but haven't been able to see how to access the app also lookout antivirus is not part of the update as far as I can see.

ok download of the update was about 30 minutes adn updating was about 15 minutes it almost looks like the phone bricks at certain points but just letting it do the update it came up no problem.  It does seem quicker and the settings meu has changed and the mobile data butto is gone.  It does have knox but haven't been able to see how to access the app also lookout antivirus is not part of the update as far as I can see.

Re: Galaxy S3 Update is Downloading Tonight 11/20/2013

28 of 178 (21,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 4:54:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

I was able to download the update in 30 minutes this morning and no problems it did take about 15 minutes to go through the update and it seemed like it was going to brick but just let it do its thing and now its running just fine still going through the menus no battery drain issues so far and it is charging with no problems. When I did the update I was righ next to my wireless router and it was pretty quick in downloading.  

I was able to download the update in 30 minutes this morning and no problems it did take about 15 minutes to go through the update and it seemed like it was going to brick but just let it do its thing and now its running just fine still going through the menus no battery drain issues so far and it is charging with no problems. When I did the update I was righ next to my wireless router and it was pretty quick in downloading.  

29 of 178 (21,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 6:09:11 AM
(0)
Employee
Tailgunner the update that was pulled was an international one and that has a different memory config than the AT&T version from what I understand. I updated mine yesterday with no issues, and a few new looks and feel to email and messaging apps.
Tailgunner the update that was pulled was an international one and that has a different memory config than the AT&T version from what I understand. I updated mine yesterday with no issues, and a few new looks and feel to email and messaging apps.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

30 of 178 (21,673 Views)