The Samsung Galaxy S24
the-beard's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Friday, November 15th, 2013 4:59 PM

Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

hi...

i can not update my device samsung galaxy s3 (sgh-i747) .it is on andriod 4.1 , every time i try it says "software is upto date" .
i have no access to AT&T network as i am out of US.would anyone plz guide me to update phone manually..

thanks

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello everyone, I see some of the same questions and want to address one thing. As far as AT&T providing updates, we're not able to push updates to any phones outside of AT&T own network and without active service. As far as I know this update is only being delivered through AT&T at this time to AT&T branded devices.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

10 years ago

Consider yourself lucky. Everyone that I know, including me. wishes they didn't update to 4.3 because of all the problems our S3s are having afterwards. Main problems are excessive battery drain, wifi dropping, phantom downloads, etc. I was lucky and only had the battery drain issue. Look elsewhere in this board for posts regarding the issues caused.  Hopefully, 4.4 or a fix won't be far away.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hey guys, we're always looking for feedback and any information that might help us identify and resolve any potential issues. If you can, please send us a private message here with your phone number, IMEI, model and what issue you're experiencing after the update. We will definitely try to help you on the case by case bases and this information can help AT&T and Samsung figure out if there is a problem.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

how i can update it when i check for update he said to me is up to date and my android is 4.1 i am a samsung galaxy s3

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

10 years ago

If you are on 4.1.2 consider yourself lucky. Everyone that has updated their S3 to 4.3 is having numerous issues, with excessive battery drain being the worst. If you can avoid it, DO NOT update to 4.3. Look at the S3 battery drain post thread elsewhere and see for yourself.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Since the 4.3 update I've had the usual assortment of issues (battery life shorter, frequently runs hot, etc) but have also noticed that the flash now fires once or twice a day.  At first I thought that I was triggering it somehow, but then I saw it happen when the phone was laying on the table and I was several feet away.  I covered both the front and rear cameras in case the phone has been pwned, but I don't think so.  Why would an attacker draw attention by firing the flash, even when the phone was in pocket?  Far better to simply turn on the video and/or mic, yes?

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

10 years ago

The 4.3 update cleared a bunch of ringtone/sound settings and turned on the flash for notifications like calls. You can easily go reset those settings in the menus.

The battery life issue was completely solved for me by unchecking "Use wireless networks" in Location Services and rebooting the phone. I went from a dead battery at 2pm to 60-75% left at night each day now from that one setting and it's been working for weeks since I changed it.

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

10 years ago

Ark42, I did that as well along with disabling location services completely. I did see some improvement in battery life, but not anywhere near what it was on 4.1.2

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

after updating my s3 to 4.3, the battery life is worse and everytime i get an email, the flash on my camera goes off. Is this some new kind of notification scheme? I haven't been able to find any new settings for this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.