Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

Tutor

Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

Message 1 of 178 (26,339 Views)
Scholar

Re: samsung GS3 4.3 update failure. Who's to Blame?

nitrous93, I agree with you on all your points. Until I figure out what to do regarding my S3, I've been using a Moto G I bought from Motorola Online and have been very pleased. I may not switch back to my S3, even though it is vastly better with storage options and has better specs. That said, my Moto G gets reception where other devices struggle (even my S3), and the Moto G is running KitKat 4.4.2 with NO ISSUES at all. Plus the quad core processor is an older chipset that isn't power hungry which gives me better battery life than my S3 had with it's stock battery even before the 4.3 update messed it up. If AT&T doesn't fix the 4.3 S3 issue, I may root mine and go from there, which I really don't want to do.

Message 136 of 178 (16,481 Views)
Contributor

Re: Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

I have samsung galaxy s3 sgh i747.

At present my andriod version is 4.1.1.Till now i didnt get any update to 4.3.what could be the reason .

Please help me.

Regards

Srikanth...

Hyderabad.

India

Message 137 of 178 (15,825 Views)
Teacher

DO NOT,,, I REPEAT DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.3. YOU WILL BE SORRY. Besides, AT&T pulled the update till a fix is released from Samsung.

Message 138 of 178 (15,774 Views)
Teacher

Re: samsung GS3 4.3 update failure. Who's to Blame?

Rdechiara,

i have been on XDA developers Site for awhile, and No one so far can Root an AT&T SGH-i747 running the 4.3 OS because of the KNOX security Running in Background of Phone. EVERYONE GOOGLE THE KNOX SECURITY ON SAMSUNG DEVICES AND THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND. IT WAS WRITTEN BY THE NSA (Yep our Government) geez!!!

Message 139 of 178 (15,771 Views)
Contributor

Re: Galaxy S3 4.3 Wifi/LTE issues

having the same problem. need a fix please. Suggestions below do not fix it
Message 140 of 178 (15,530 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Galaxy S3 4.3 Wifi/LTE issues

I too am having same issue.  Sending Private Message to AT&T CustomerCare as suggested in this thread.  Hopefully will get good response.  If others having this issue please update this thread.

Message 141 of 178 (15,525 Views)
Contributor

can not upgrade samsung sgh-i747 to andriod 4.3

hi...

i can not update my device samsung galaxy s3 (sgh-i747) .it is on andriod 4.1 , every time i try it says "software is upto date" .
i have no access to AT&T network as i am out of US.would anyone plz guide me to update phone manually..

thanks

Message 142 of 178 (15,423 Views)
Community Manager

Re: can not upgrade samsung sgh-i747 to andriod 4.3

Hello everyone, I see some of the same questions and want to address one thing. As far as AT&T providing updates, we're not able to push updates to any phones outside of AT&T own network and without active service. As far as I know this update is only being delivered through AT&T at this time to AT&T branded devices.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 143 of 178 (15,408 Views)
Scholar

Re: can not upgrade samsung sgh-i747 to andriod 4.3

Consider yourself lucky. Everyone that I know, including me. wishes they didn't update to 4.3 because of all the problems our S3s are having afterwards. Main problems are excessive battery drain, wifi dropping, phantom downloads, etc. I was lucky and only had the battery drain issue. Look elsewhere in this board for posts regarding the issues caused.  Hopefully, 4.4 or a fix won't be far away.

Message 144 of 178 (15,363 Views)
Community Manager

Hey guys, we're always looking for feedback and any information that might help us identify and resolve any potential issues. If you can, please send us a private message here with your phone number, IMEI, model and what issue you're experiencing after the update. We will definitely try to help you on the case by case bases and this information can help AT&T and Samsung figure out if there is a problem.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 145 of 178 (15,267 Views)
Contributor

how i can update it when i check for update he said to me is up to date and my android is 4.1 i am a samsung galaxy s3
Message 146 of 178 (14,830 Views)
Scholar

If you are on 4.1.2 consider yourself lucky. Everyone that has updated their S3 to 4.3 is having numerous issues, with excessive battery drain being the worst. If you can avoid it, DO NOT update to 4.3. Look at the S3 battery drain post thread elsewhere and see for yourself.
Message 147 of 178 (14,766 Views)
Contributor

Since the 4.3 update I've had the usual assortment of issues (battery life shorter, frequently runs hot, etc) but have also noticed that the flash now fires once or twice a day.  At first I thought that I was triggering it somehow, but then I saw it happen when the phone was laying on the table and I was several feet away.  I covered both the front and rear cameras in case the phone has been pwned, but I don't think so.  Why would an attacker draw attention by firing the flash, even when the phone was in pocket?  Far better to simply turn on the video and/or mic, yes?

Message 148 of 178 (14,546 Views)
Mentor

The 4.3 update cleared a bunch of ringtone/sound settings and turned on the flash for notifications like calls. You can easily go reset those settings in the menus.

The battery life issue was completely solved for me by unchecking "Use wireless networks" in Location Services and rebooting the phone. I went from a dead battery at 2pm to 60-75% left at night each day now from that one setting and it's been working for weeks since I changed it.

Message 149 of 178 (14,537 Views)
Scholar

Ark42, I did that as well along with disabling location services completely. I did see some improvement in battery life, but not anywhere near what it was on 4.1.2
Message 150 of 178 (14,524 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.