Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 15, 2013
8:59:35 AM
Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

177 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(177)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 11:01:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have the same issue, along with a lot of apps that quit working, all my ringtones being changed, etc. Just moving down this thread so sorry if there's a fix I haven't gotten to yet.
I have the same issue, along with a lot of apps that quit working, all my ringtones being changed, etc. Just moving down this thread so sorry if there's a fix I haven't gotten to yet.

Re: Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

91 of 178 (7,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 11:01:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
Same here, add this to my list.
Same here, add this to my list.

92 of 178 (7,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 3:42:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
hello Is anyone to AT&T listening is anybody forwarding this to samsuck err sung because this is unacceptable the phones are coming useless. There is supposed to be an incremental update to fix battery drain, website not working, apps not working, unresponsiveness and the list goes on. What is AT&T's response is there a moderator out there what are you guys doing?
hello Is anyone to AT&T listening is anybody forwarding this to samsuck err sung because this is unacceptable the phones are coming useless. There is supposed to be an incremental update to fix battery drain, website not working, apps not working, unresponsiveness and the list goes on. What is AT&T's response is there a moderator out there what are you guys doing?

93 of 178 (7,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 8:24:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

Have not had a minute of trouble on my S3.  Strange how some do and some don't???

Have not had a minute of trouble on my S3.  Strange how some do and some don't???

94 of 178 (7,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 8:27:26 AM
(0)
Mentor
have you tried changing the group for any of your contacts?
have you tried changing the group for any of your contacts?

95 of 178 (7,301 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 9:06:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

Chattred with Samsuck and I dont Care & Care.  No fix no cares that the phones work worse after the update.  Of course in Samsuck fasion no word on 4.4 even though LG, Sony and HTC all have dates.  Never another Samsuck or ATT product again.  Still no one for att jumping in with any information.  Verizon actually helps people on their forums.

Chattred with Samsuck and I dont Care & Care.  No fix no cares that the phones work worse after the update.  Of course in Samsuck fasion no word on 4.4 even though LG, Sony and HTC all have dates.  Never another Samsuck or ATT product again.  Still no one for att jumping in with any information.  Verizon actually helps people on their forums.

96 of 178 (7,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 10:23:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

17 days - Still waiting for the software to be pushed to my phone. Does anyone have any other ideas by which I can update the phone?

AT&T technical support called me day before yesterday, and said that they are actively working on fixing the issue. They gave me a $25 credit to try and shut me up and said that if I don't receive an update in two days, they will work again to fix it.

Any help is much appreciated. Even a way to escalate this at AT&T works.

17 days - Still waiting for the software to be pushed to my phone. Does anyone have any other ideas by which I can update the phone?

AT&T technical support called me day before yesterday, and said that they are actively working on fixing the issue. They gave me a $25 credit to try and shut me up and said that if I don't receive an update in two days, they will work again to fix it.

97 of 178 (7,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 10:38:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by mtbiker on Dec 6, 2013 at 12:37:53 AM

Finally, I was able to update my phone from 4.1.1 to 4.3.  I don't know if AT&T really pushed the update to my phone since I have an on-going case with AT&T (but I never got notified that they actually did something) or activating my voicemail actually fixed it instead.

So I'm calling out all s3 users who still in 4.1.1 (or maybe even 4.1.2) and are "stuck", and see if you can setup your voicemail. If not, call AT&T and get it activated.  That's what I did and then changed my plan with "Visual Voicemail". The next day, I was able to get the update.

Please keep in mind that I don't know if that is the fix, but that's only what (changes) I did on my end before receiving the update.  If AT&T was able to push the update to my phone then I guess give AT&T a call and keep complaining; hopefully you'll get updated.  If your voicemail is working then I don't know...

Finally, I was able to update my phone from 4.1.1 to 4.3.  I don't know if AT&T really pushed the update to my phone since I have an on-going case with AT&T (but I never got notified that they actually did something) or activating my voicemail actually fixed it instead.

So I'm calling out all s3 users who still in 4.1.1 (or maybe even 4.1.2) and are "stuck", and see if you can setup your voicemail. If not, call AT&T and get it activated.  That's what I did and then changed my plan with "Visual Voicemail". The next day, I was able to get the update.

Please keep in mind that I don't know if that is the fix, but that's only what (changes) I did on my end before receiving the update.  If AT&T was able to push the update to my phone then I guess give AT&T a call and keep complaining; hopefully you'll get updated.  If your voicemail is working then I don't know...

[ Edited ]
98 of 178 (7,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 9:48:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Is anyone else having unexpected shutdowns after upgrading to 4.3? When I was running 4.1.2, my gs3 was the best. Now after a few minutes of use, it shuts down. If I immediately power back up, it complains about low battery and shuts back down. If I wait a few minutes it will power back up normally, with plenty of battery remaining. It operates normally if I use it while charging.

Is anyone else having unexpected shutdowns after upgrading to 4.3? When I was running 4.1.2, my gs3 was the best. Now after a few minutes of use, it shuts down. If I immediately power back up, it complains about low battery and shuts back down. If I wait a few minutes it will power back up normally, with plenty of battery remaining. It operates normally if I use it while charging.

99 of 178 (6,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 8:08:52 PM
(0)
Scholar
I have had it crash but what you describe sounds like it is unstable. Have you pulled the battery when it was on to do a soft reset?
I have had it crash but what you describe sounds like it is unstable. Have you pulled the battery when it was on to do a soft reset?

100 of 178 (6,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 3:37:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

Does anybody at At&t give a crap that this update is causing your paying customers major problems?  This only proves that you lied about the other updates needing "testing" when they where delayed months. So long At&t and Samsung.

Does anybody at At&t give a crap that this update is causing your paying customers major problems?  This only proves that you lied about the other updates needing "testing" when they where delayed months. So long At&t and Samsung.

101 of 178 (6,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 4:28:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

19 days - Still waiting for the software to be pushed to my phone. Does anyone have any other ideas by which I can update the phone?

AT&T technical support said something which I never heard in the last 19 days.... "To wait is the only option"....

They are dumb and incompetent. Not sure, how they are getting paid.

19 days - Still waiting for the software to be pushed to my phone. Does anyone have any other ideas by which I can update the phone?

AT&T technical support said something which I never heard in the last 19 days.... "To wait is the only option"....

They are dumb and incompetent. Not sure, how they are getting paid.

102 of 178 (6,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 5:51:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had similar problems after the update Smiley Sad    The one thing that have seem to work to fix my 4.3 update troubles  on my S3 was that i pull the battery out and let the phone stay without  battery power ( Power bleed off time )  for about an hour after that i replace the Batt back in and power it up an this seems to have fix the bugs so far..

I had similar problems after the update Smiley Sad    The one thing that have seem to work to fix my 4.3 update troubles  on my S3 was that i pull the battery out and let the phone stay without  battery power ( Power bleed off time )  for about an hour after that i replace the Batt back in and power it up an this seems to have fix the bugs so far..

103 of 178 (6,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 7:06:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
I still have not been able to finish the 4.3 update on my galaxy s4, I think I have tried 7 or 8 times with the same result. It starts the download process and seems to download smoothly, it seems like right when I loom away from my phone and its close to the end of the download it stops and gives me no prompt to do anything else. It seems like the download is completing and just not installing but I'm not sure. The phone doesn't restart or anything. Please help.
I still have not been able to finish the 4.3 update on my galaxy s4, I think I have tried 7 or 8 times with the same result. It starts the download process and seems to download smoothly, it seems like right when I loom away from my phone and its close to the end of the download it stops and gives me no prompt to do anything else. It seems like the download is completing and just not installing but I'm not sure. The phone doesn't restart or anything. Please help.

104 of 178 (6,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 3:20:22 PM
(0)
Tutor
When are they going to fix these problems? Their lack of any communication is unacceptable
When are they going to fix these problems? Their lack of any communication is unacceptable

105 of 178 (5,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2013 4:31:56 AM
(0)
Scholar
http://www.androidpit.com/galaxy-s3-lte-4-3-stability-patch
When is this coming?
Hello useless At$t
http://www.androidpit.com/galaxy-s3-lte-4-3-stability-patch
When is this coming?
Hello useless At$t

106 of 178 (5,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2013 9:13:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

I fixed this on one of my phones. 

What you do is this:

Go to your downloads section and find all files that are having the issue

Delete them from your downloads.

This should solve it.  Iknow it's a little late but I hope it helps you!

I fixed this on one of my phones. 

What you do is this:

Go to your downloads section and find all files that are having the issue

Delete them from your downloads.

This should solve it.  Iknow it's a little late but I hope it helps you!

107 of 178 (5,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 11:26:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

This is comical, ATT is completely absent in helping with the issues and Samsung denies there are issues.  Two awful companies that deserve each other. So long soon to both.  

This is comical, ATT is completely absent in helping with the issues and Samsung denies there are issues.  Two awful companies that deserve each other. So long soon to both.  

108 of 178 (5,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 4:45:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
Zzzzzzzz.
Still have poor battery, force close on internet, no knox settings and sluggish performance. No word on the patch that has been released.
Zzzzzzzz.
Still have poor battery, force close on internet, no knox settings and sluggish performance. No word on the patch that has been released.

109 of 178 (5,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 11:45:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

Same here and no luck chatting with AT&T rep yesterday. I know this will be the last Samsung phone I purchase, since they always have problems with updates. I am learning towards grabbing a Nexus phone, although it sucks that I would still be stuck paying the same monthly rate (which is padded with subsidy for a new phone). 

Same here and no luck chatting with AT&T rep yesterday. I know this will be the last Samsung phone I purchase, since they always have problems with updates. I am learning towards grabbing a Nexus phone, although it sucks that I would still be stuck paying the same monthly rate (which is padded with subsidy for a new phone). 

110 of 178 (5,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 7:24:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

Is anyone else experiencing this after the update: phone locks up (freezes) when it autorotates to landscape screen?  Happened to me multiple times already.

Is anyone else experiencing this after the update: phone locks up (freezes) when it autorotates to landscape screen?  Happened to me multiple times already.

111 of 178 (5,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 7:38:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

I got an OTA update last week (or two weeks ago, perhaps) for Android 4.3, shortly after (~6 weeks I think) getting an update to 4.x (can't recall which number it was, but it was less than 4.3) 

The 4.3 update has completely screwed my phone:

• Slowness issues
  • Home screen repaints icons noticeably slowly 
  • There are now sticky notifications of two downloads that happened BACK IN MARCH. No matter how many times I click on clear, they come back almost immediately
  • HUGE BATTERY DRAIN. THE BATTERY COMPLETELY DEPLETES AFTER 2 HOURS AT MOST, WHICH DIDN'T HAPPEN BEFORE THIS STUPID UPDATE
  • Battery stats shows the drain is because of an app that I completely doubt did anything. When I uninstalled such app Android is now blaming Android system (or something like that), and the battery drain continues
  • etc.

Checked that there is no newer update. Also, installed Kies 3.0 and it tells me my OS is not supported for updates via Kies either.

PLEASE HELP ME

TELL ME HOW TO WIPE OUT THIS UPDATE AND GO BACK TO THE STOCK ORIGINAL ROM (4.1.1 I think). I DON'T WANT TO HAVE THIS UPDATE IN MY PHONE AND I AM GOING TO BLOCK ALL AT&T UPDATES AFTERWARDS

Thanks and sorry for the caps!

I got an OTA update last week (or two weeks ago, perhaps) for Android 4.3, shortly after (~6 weeks I think) getting an update to 4.x (can't recall which number it was, but it was less than 4.3) 

The 4.3 update has completely screwed my phone:

• Slowness issues
  • Home screen repaints icons noticeably slowly 
  • There are now sticky notifications of two downloads that happened BACK IN MARCH. No matter how many times I click on clear, they come back almost immediately
  • HUGE BATTERY DRAIN. THE BATTERY COMPLETELY DEPLETES AFTER 2 HOURS AT MOST, WHICH DIDN'T HAPPEN BEFORE THIS STUPID UPDATE
  • Battery stats shows the drain is because of an app that I completely doubt did anything. When I uninstalled such app Android is now blaming Android system (or something like that), and the battery drain continues
  • etc.

Checked that there is no newer update. Also, installed Kies 3.0 and it tells me my OS is not supported for updates via Kies either.

PLEASE HELP ME

TELL ME HOW TO WIPE OUT THIS UPDATE AND GO BACK TO THE STOCK ORIGINAL ROM (4.1.1 I think). I DON'T WANT TO HAVE THIS UPDATE IN MY PHONE AND I AM GOING TO BLOCK ALL AT&T UPDATES AFTERWARDS

Thanks and sorry for the caps!

Get rid of Android 4.3 in the Galaxy S III

112 of 178 (5,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 10:25:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi VishD, did you receive the update? I am checking my phone daily manually for software update and it still keeps telling me 4.1.2 is the latest software.

Can anyone please help? I am non-AT&T customer residing outside the US. Thanks!

Hi VishD, did you receive the update? I am checking my phone daily manually for software update and it still keeps telling me 4.1.2 is the latest software.

Can anyone please help? I am non-AT&T customer residing outside the US. Thanks!

113 of 178 (5,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 4:34:05 AM
(0)
Contributor
I would also like to know how to get rid of this. My galaxy has so many problems now.
I would also like to know how to get rid of this. My galaxy has so many problems now.

Re: Get rid of Android 4.3 in the Galaxy S III

114 of 178 (5,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 7:18:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Ever since i downloaded the 4.3 update two days ago my GS3 is screwing up as well. The main problem seems to be that after I charge the phone it goes into silent mode. All the noticiations and volume controls are turned on. I  just cant hear any sound. Vibrate function also has stopped working. I have triple checked all the settings to make sure everything is turned on and still nothing. I hate this . Any help

Ever since i downloaded the 4.3 update two days ago my GS3 is screwing up as well. The main problem seems to be that after I charge the phone it goes into silent mode. All the noticiations and volume controls are turned on. I  just cant hear any sound. Vibrate function also has stopped working. I have triple checked all the settings to make sure everything is turned on and still nothing. I hate this . Any help

115 of 178 (5,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 7:56:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

creeperzmom wrote:

You can't "roll back" your Android version unless you are willing to root.

And anyone with random issues on any OTA needs to do a factory reset before you can conclude the issue is the update itself, and not conflicts with your pre-existing settings and apps.  Yes, this update probably has some problems.  But at least some (sometimes most) issues after an OTA can be solved by simply doing a factory reset.  Yes, its a pain to have to backup your data (and if its at all important to you, you should be backing it up anyway!) and setup the phone again.  And idealogically, we shouldn't have to resort to this.  But its a fact of life on these devices.

creeperzmom wrote:

You can't "roll back" your Android version unless you are willing to root.

And anyone with random issues on any OTA needs to do a factory reset before you can conclude the issue is the update itself, and not conflicts with your pre-existing settings and apps.  Yes, this update probably has some problems.  But at least some (sometimes most) issues after an OTA can be solved by simply doing a factory reset.  Yes, its a pain to have to backup your data (and if its at all important to you, you should be backing it up anyway!) and setup the phone again.  And idealogically, we shouldn't have to resort to this.  But its a fact of life on these devices.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

116 of 178 (5,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 2:01:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem after my GS3 was updated OTA to v 4.3...It seems that I can add new contacts, delete contacts ok, but when I try to edit the GROUP for a contact, I get the msg that 'contacts has stopped'. My wife also has the GS3, but has not gotten the update to 4.3 and editing GROUPS within contacts still works just fine. I have not found a solution. I would rather live with this problem than do a RESET.

mike

I am having the same problem after my GS3 was updated OTA to v 4.3...It seems that I can add new contacts, delete contacts ok, but when I try to edit the GROUP for a contact, I get the msg that 'contacts has stopped'. My wife also has the GS3, but has not gotten the update to 4.3 and editing GROUPS within contacts still works just fine. I have not found a solution. I would rather live with this problem than do a RESET.

mike

117 of 178 (4,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 5:48:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ifenmiller on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:50:24 AM

I did a factory reset on my phone and now it does not work at all. I have had the same problems with the new update which came into my phone about three days ago. I had 25+ downloads that keep popping up in the notification bar, most of my apps started crashing, rebooting the phone became tedious, if I downloaded something the 25+ old downloads would come right back; answering calls were difficult and I missed them because I could no longer slide to answer. So...I backed up everything on my phone...I did the factory reset. And, guess what? Now my phone does not even come on. The phone attempts to come on, remains on the white screen with the AT&T globe and gets hot as I don't know what. I was told I needed to get it flashed, I took it into the store and they cannot do anything with my phone either...now I have no PHONE!! REALLY?! I refuse to pay the deductable for the insurance replacement when I did not jack up my phone like this and murder it. This is crazy. Updates should NOT be released without ensuring they will not damage or kill a customer's device. I have NO clue what to do now.

I did a factory reset on my phone and now it does not work at all. I have had the same problems with the new update which came into my phone about three days ago. I had 25+ downloads that keep popping up in the notification bar, most of my apps started crashing, rebooting the phone became tedious, if I downloaded something the 25+ old downloads would come right back; answering calls were difficult and I missed them because I could no longer slide to answer. So...I backed up everything on my phone...I did the factory reset. And, guess what? Now my phone does not even come on. The phone attempts to come on, remains on the white screen with the AT&T globe and gets hot as I don't know what. I was told I needed to get it flashed, I took it into the store and they cannot do anything with my phone either...now I have no PHONE!! REALLY?! I refuse to pay the deductable for the insurance replacement when I did not jack up my phone like this and murder it. This is crazy. Updates should NOT be released without ensuring they will not damage or kill a customer's device. I have NO clue what to do now.

[ Edited ]
118 of 178 (4,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 5:52:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Try downloading the Keis software on your personal PC or Laptop and attempt a phone recovery. I regret I did not learn about it before factory resetting my phone and now not being able to use it at all.

Try downloading the Keis software on your personal PC or Laptop and attempt a phone recovery. I regret I did not learn about it before factory resetting my phone and now not being able to use it at all.

119 of 178 (4,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 6:36:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same issues. After 4.3 update my S3 is freezing often. Dial pad goes unresponsive. Apps are breaking. Sometime notification panel and/or Lock screen is getting stuck and no further actions can be done, I just need to remove battery out and restart the system. Calls sometime doesnt display the Contact details as it gets freezing. Battery drain and several other issues also needs fix. Pls fix it and send us the updat.

I have the same issues. After 4.3 update my S3 is freezing often. Dial pad goes unresponsive. Apps are breaking. Sometime notification panel and/or Lock screen is getting stuck and no further actions can be done, I just need to remove battery out and restart the system. Calls sometime doesnt display the Contact details as it gets freezing. Battery drain and several other issues also needs fix. Pls fix it and send us the updat.

120 of 178 (3,336 Views)