Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 5, 2013
5:55:53 PM
View profile
Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

My wife and myself started having the phones shut off at random after the last update a couple of weeks ago. A few times it deletes our bluetooth added devices. Other times after the phone decides to shut it self off and I press and hold the side button to wake it  back up the device shows my battery is discharged. This will happen with a fully charged battery. Someone out there has to know about this issue besides the consumers. I went to the att store today with no help and samsung support was the same.....

My wife and myself started having the phones shut off at random after the last update a couple of weeks ago. A few times it deletes our bluetooth added devices. Other times after the phone decides to shut it self off and I press and hold the side button to wake it  back up the device shows my battery is discharged. This will happen with a fully charged battery. Someone out there has to know about this issue besides the consumers. I went to the att store today with no help and samsung support was the same.....

Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

61 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(61)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 7:03:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

Is this a stock 4.03 that you guys are updating to? Where can you find this?

Is this a stock 4.03 that you guys are updating to? Where can you find this?

Re: Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

31 of 62 (3,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 7:37:28 AM
(0)
Mentor
Yes, it is the stock AT&T 4.0.3. I had read on here that a few people have gotten AT&T to reflash their phone back to this. Some did it themselves. One of the threads had the link on how to do this but I'm pretty sure it was on galaxys2root.com. You do not have to root your phone to do this but yo will probably have to do a total reset so make sure you have everything is backed up somewhere. It is somewhat technical too. I even rolled mine back to Gingerbread but wanted to kept the ICS as I wanted to determine if it was in fact the 4.0.4 update causing the problem. I have not deleted any apps, and so far mine has not had the sleep of death in 48 hours. Its a new record since getting 4.0.4.
Yes, it is the stock AT&T 4.0.3. I had read on here that a few people have gotten AT&T to reflash their phone back to this. Some did it themselves. One of the threads had the link on how to do this but I'm pretty sure it was on galaxys2root.com. You do not have to root your phone to do this but yo will probably have to do a total reset so make sure you have everything is backed up somewhere. It is somewhat technical too. I even rolled mine back to Gingerbread but wanted to kept the ICS as I wanted to determine if it was in fact the 4.0.4 update causing the problem. I have not deleted any apps, and so far mine has not had the sleep of death in 48 hours. Its a new record since getting 4.0.4.

Re: Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

32 of 62 (3,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 8:04:29 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by raiu on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:07:01 AM

[ Edited ]
33 of 62 (3,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2013 9:14:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

I will bump this conversation so that it will appear with the other one currently on the first page.  The lack of response is going to make me have to find another company.  Phone continues to go dead and I simply cannot rely on this essential piece of equipment.  Come on AT&T help your customers out.

I will bump this conversation so that it will appear with the other one currently on the first page.  The lack of response is going to make me have to find another company.  Phone continues to go dead and I simply cannot rely on this essential piece of equipment.  Come on AT&T help your customers out.

34 of 62 (3,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 12:04:49 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yesterday I re flashed my phone back to 4.0.3 as per the detailed instructions on galaxys2root.com. I had to perform another factory reset again. The wife said she would deal with her piece of junk galaxy s2 because doing the reset would lose all of her details on the phone.

I have about five hours of time wasted on this issue. I think at&t needs to credit my account if I am to renew this June!!!!!!
Yesterday I re flashed my phone back to 4.0.3 as per the detailed instructions on galaxys2root.com. I had to perform another factory reset again. The wife said she would deal with her piece of junk galaxy s2 because doing the reset would lose all of her details on the phone.

I have about five hours of time wasted on this issue. I think at&t needs to credit my account if I am to renew this June!!!!!!

35 of 62 (3,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 7:16:55 AM
(0)
Mentor
I'd have to agree 99ssconv, I spent about 5 hours on mine too. The good thing, mine is fixed now running 4.0.3.
I'd have to agree 99ssconv, I spent about 5 hours on mine too. The good thing, mine is fixed now running 4.0.3.

36 of 62 (3,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 1:26:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

mine phone is now working like it used to, GREAT. no thanks to at&t

mine phone is now working like it used to, GREAT. no thanks to at&t

37 of 62 (3,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 5:27:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you're going to spend that much time and effort going back to 4.0.3, you should consider spending the same amount of time and effort to go forward to Jelly Bean 4.1.2, in the form of the SuperNexus ROM.  It is absolutely stable, good battery life, and pure, unadulterated Nexus JB.

If you're going to spend that much time and effort going back to 4.0.3, you should consider spending the same amount of time and effort to go forward to Jelly Bean 4.1.2, in the form of the SuperNexus ROM.  It is absolutely stable, good battery life, and pure, unadulterated Nexus JB.

38 of 62 (3,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 6:19:38 PM
(0)
Mentor
I may try the Super nexus at some point. Right now mine works so good I'm scared to even reboot. At least I know how to do it now.
I may try the Super nexus at some point. Right now mine works so good I'm scared to even reboot. At least I know how to do it now.

39 of 62 (3,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 6:20:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wanted to stand up and be counted for this issue. I was forced by ATT to accept this update now my phone bricks twice daily and the battery has to be removed then put back in for it to work again. Where is the customer servce rep???????????

Wanted to stand up and be counted for this issue. I was forced by ATT to accept this update now my phone bricks twice daily and the battery has to be removed then put back in for it to work again. Where is the customer servce rep???????????

40 of 62 (3,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 5:24:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
I'm tempted, but does *everything* work? MHL? Video recording? GPS? What about using a 64GB microSD card, which works fine with the stock OS?
I'm tempted, but does *everything* work? MHL? Video recording? GPS? What about using a 64GB microSD card, which works fine with the stock OS?

41 of 62 (3,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 5:25:24 AM
(0)
Scholar
Here's one tip that will probably help you *a little*: You don't need to remove the battery. Just hold the power button for about 20 seconds and it will boot.
Here's one tip that will probably help you *a little*: You don't need to remove the battery. Just hold the power button for about 20 seconds and it will boot.

42 of 62 (3,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 5:52:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

43 of 62 (3,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 6:09:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

bmgoodman wrote:

I don't use all those features, so can't promise.  Video recording works fine, as well as GPS.  And in more than a week of extensive use of the phone, I haven't found a problem of any sort. 

Supernexus is not some bleeding edge, overclocked, beta ROM.  In fact, because I'm conservative and need an absolutely reliable phone, I used the older ROM with JB 4.1.2 vs the newer one with JB 4.2.1.

You can decide for yourself by reading the what the developer and users have to say about each:

Supernexus Build 5 JB 4.1.2

Supernexus 2.0 Build 1 JB 4.2.1

bmgoodman wrote:

I don't use all those features, so can't promise.  Video recording works fine, as well as GPS.  And in more than a week of extensive use of the phone, I haven't found a problem of any sort. 

Supernexus is not some bleeding edge, overclocked, beta ROM.  In fact, because I'm conservative and need an absolutely reliable phone, I used the older ROM with JB 4.1.2 vs the newer one with JB 4.2.1.

You can decide for yourself by reading the what the developer and users have to say about each:

44 of 62 (3,082 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2013 1:05:10 PM
(0)
Guru

dmtucker wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:

Actually, as it is derived from Cyanogenmod, anything that is broken in CM will also be broken in SuperNexus.  CM10 and 10.1 have had nightly builds for I777, but not a stable release due to Samsung's lack of developer support for Exynos4 devices.  (NO Exynos4 handset or tablet has received CM10 or 10.1 stable builds.)

So while not overclocked, it IS a bleeding edge beta firmware, as its hardware support components come from CM and hence any hardware support issues CM has, SuperNexus will have too.

If you need MHL or Wifi Direct, I can guarantee you that Supernexus or even CM10/10.1 will fail you.

If you don't, CM10 might be OK for you, but you might simply want to consider a rooted, deodexed, and debloated version of one of the I9100 Touchwizz releases.

That said, from all I've heard about the AT&T 4.0.4 update, it sounds like if you don't need the "known missing" features above, CM10 may prove to be more stable for you than the latest official update despite the fact that myself and the other CM10 maintainers decided it wasn't in good enough shape for us to declare "stable".

dmtucker wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:

Actually, as it is derived from Cyanogenmod, anything that is broken in CM will also be broken in SuperNexus.  CM10 and 10.1 have had nightly builds for I777, but not a stable release due to Samsung's lack of developer support for Exynos4 devices.  (NO Exynos4 handset or tablet has received CM10 or 10.1 stable builds.)

So while not overclocked, it IS a bleeding edge beta firmware, as its hardware support components come from CM and hence any hardware support issues CM has, SuperNexus will have too.

If you need MHL or Wifi Direct, I can guarantee you that Supernexus or even CM10/10.1 will fail you.

If you don't, CM10 might be OK for you, but you might simply want to consider a rooted, deodexed, and debloated version of one of the I9100 Touchwizz releases.

That said, from all I've heard about the AT&T 4.0.4 update, it sounds like if you don't need the "known missing" features above, CM10 may prove to be more stable for you than the latest official update despite the fact that myself and the other CM10 maintainers decided it wasn't in good enough shape for us to declare "stable".

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

45 of 62 (2,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2013 10:03:51 AM
(0)
Teacher
Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

I dont want to hassle trying to get back to 4.0.3. What pi_ses me off is the last two refurb phones I got came from samasun refurb with 4.0.3 std on the phone. but when I got home it automatically upgraded to 4.0.4. sigh

Oh and I told the moderator to please repost her post below at the start of the thread so epople know what is up

No word yet ona date or if this means we go to 4.0.5 or of this is just a patch for the s2. I know two people on att s3 with no shutdown issues. so the 4.0.4 likely did it to the s2 which is just too old to take the latest upgrade. I know we will not be getting 4.1 but 4.0.5 or 4.0.6 might help. Again as these fixes have to be blessed by google, samsung AND att it takes forever

Hey guys...

Great news :smileyhappy:

We worked with Samsung to research this issue and a fix will be available in the coming weeks. I don't have any specific dates just yet but as soon as I do, I'll post them here. 

I want to note that this is a direct result of you discussing this issue in the forums and telling us what you are seeing. Great job.

--------------

AT&T Community Manager
Awesome; like unicorns & cotton candy!
Follow me on Twitter - @ATT_Jam
Need additional help? Follow @attcustomercare on Twitter!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I dont want to hassle trying to get back to 4.0.3. What pi_ses me off is the last two refurb phones I got came from samasun refurb with 4.0.3 std on the phone. but when I got home it automatically upgraded to 4.0.4. sigh

Oh and I told the moderator to please repost her post below at the start of the thread so epople know what is up

No word yet ona date or if this means we go to 4.0.5 or of this is just a patch for the s2. I know two people on att s3 with no shutdown issues. so the 4.0.4 likely did it to the s2 which is just too old to take the latest upgrade. I know we will not be getting 4.1 but 4.0.5 or 4.0.6 might help. Again as these fixes have to be blessed by google, samsung AND att it takes forever

Hey guys...

Great news :smileyhappy:

We worked with Samsung to research this issue and a fix will be available in the coming weeks. I don't have any specific dates just yet but as soon as I do, I'll post them here. 

I want to note that this is a direct result of you discussing this issue in the forums and telling us what you are seeing. Great job.

--------------

AT&T Community Manager
Awesome; like unicorns & cotton candy!
Follow me on Twitter - @ATT_Jam
Need additional help? Follow @attcustomercare on Twitter!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

46 of 62 (2,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2013 6:52:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

I cannot believe that ATT will not say something or do something to give us all some hope.  You would think a free month or something until they fix the problem.   I used this phone for everything now I do not and cannot trust it for calls, texts, alarm clock, calendar etc.  Before the 4.0.4 update I thought this was the perfect phone.  Certainly not getting the service or the phone that I'm paying for.

I cannot believe that ATT will not say something or do something to give us all some hope.  You would think a free month or something until they fix the problem.   I used this phone for everything now I do not and cannot trust it for calls, texts, alarm clock, calendar etc.  Before the 4.0.4 update I thought this was the perfect phone.  Certainly not getting the service or the phone that I'm paying for.

47 of 62 (2,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 6:02:51 AM
(0)
Explorer

can someone please post the process for reflashing back to 4.03? A hundred references to doing so but no mention on where to specifically find information.

can someone please post the process for reflashing back to 4.03? A hundred references to doing so but no mention on where to specifically find information.

48 of 62 (2,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 7:21:02 AM
(0)
Mentor
Wish I could help but its not allowed
Wish I could help but its not allowed

49 of 62 (2,683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 10:20:58 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Nix-Fone on Feb 15, 2013 at 10:22:38 AM

For some odd reason, my phone has been up and running for 13 days with no issues. I am not a heavy phone user, just speaking and a few texts with a bluetooth earpiece. Here's all I did differently:

I restarted my phone and hit the clear cache option. Since then I have been getting over 4 days from a charge. I unplug it when it gets to around 98% charged instead of 100% and I no longer reboot the phone after every charge like I used to. I was having the shutdown issue as others here had but now it seems to be okay again. I could turn off and turn on but I don't want to look for trouble.

For some odd reason, my phone has been up and running for 13 days with no issues. I am not a heavy phone user, just speaking and a few texts with a bluetooth earpiece. Here's all I did differently:

I restarted my phone and hit the clear cache option. Since then I have been getting over 4 days from a charge. I unplug it when it gets to around 98% charged instead of 100% and I no longer reboot the phone after every charge like I used to. I was having the shutdown issue as others here had but now it seems to be okay again. I could turn off and turn on but I don't want to look for trouble.

[ Edited ]
50 of 62 (2,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 1:35:09 PM
(0)
Contributor
Tried everything that has been suggested here and on other similar discussion regarding the SOD issue with 4.0.4 update. Nothing seems to work.

AT&T sucks.

Can someone please provide steps for reverting back to 4.0.3 and sanity?
Tried everything that has been suggested here and on other similar discussion regarding the SOD issue with 4.0.4 update. Nothing seems to work.

AT&T sucks.

Can someone please provide steps for reverting back to 4.0.3 and sanity?

51 of 62 (2,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 8:31:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
Do a search on you tube, that's how I did it. Phone has been stable now for over a month.
Do a search on you tube, that's how I did it. Phone has been stable now for over a month.

52 of 62 (2,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 8:35:12 PM
(0)
Teacher
Someone did my wife a favor and stole her phone last week, she wouldn't let me back log the version. She now has a new HTC one X and loves it.
Someone did my wife a favor and stole her phone last week, she wouldn't let me back log the version. She now has a new HTC one X and loves it.

53 of 62 (2,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 2:59:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm still running 2.3.6. Based on all of these forum posts I should probably not update? I'm wondering if this affected just a handfull of people or if everyone who did the update is having all sorts of problems? I'm not hesitant to update because once it's loaded to 4.0.4, there's not more 2.3.6 for me! 

I'm really wanting Jelly Bean the most...

I'm still running 2.3.6. Based on all of these forum posts I should probably not update? I'm wondering if this affected just a handfull of people or if everyone who did the update is having all sorts of problems? I'm not hesitant to update because once it's loaded to 4.0.4, there's not more 2.3.6 for me! 

I'm really wanting Jelly Bean the most...

54 of 62 (2,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 9:58:07 AM
(0)
Guru

Might want to look at XDA at one of the porting tools, such as my H*llraiser package for GB and ICS.  (I didn't bother with JB for a variety of reasons, but others have).

I9100 firmwares don't have all of the problems I777 firmwares do despite the devices being 99% identical.  You might want to try a ported I9100 ICS or JB package.

For those sticking with Gingerbread - I9100 XWLA1 (or was it LA2???) was the pinnacle of Gingerbread.  Blows UCKH7 or UCKK6 out of the water with a nuclear-tipped torpedo.

Might want to look at XDA at one of the porting tools, such as my H*llraiser package for GB and ICS.  (I didn't bother with JB for a variety of reasons, but others have).

I9100 firmwares don't have all of the problems I777 firmwares do despite the devices being 99% identical.  You might want to try a ported I9100 ICS or JB package.

For those sticking with Gingerbread - I9100 XWLA1 (or was it LA2???) was the pinnacle of Gingerbread.  Blows UCKH7 or UCKK6 out of the water with a nuclear-tipped torpedo.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

55 of 62 (1,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 6:19:14 PM
(0)
Explorer

Any word on the fix yet?

Any word on the fix yet?

56 of 62 (1,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 11:52:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
"Soon."

At least, that's been the word for a few months now, without change or update.
"Soon."

At least, that's been the word for a few months now, without change or update.

57 of 62 (1,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2013 7:39:45 AM
(0)
Explorer

Just got a notice on my phone that an update was available. I went ahead with it just because I was frustrated with the phone turning itself off randomly. Is any of the new info (kernel, etc.) of use to you guys?

Just got a notice on my phone that an update was available. I went ahead with it just because I was frustrated with the phone turning itself off randomly. Is any of the new info (kernel, etc.) of use to you guys?

58 of 62 (1,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2013 9:13:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've rooted and installed a custom rom, but I am still curious what's changed in this update.

I've rooted and installed a custom rom, but I am still curious what's changed in this update.

59 of 62 (1,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2013 9:33:49 AM
(0)
Explorer

What info can I give you?

What info can I give you?

60 of 62 (1,478 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments