Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

Teacher

Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

My wife and myself started having the phones shut off at random after the last update a couple of weeks ago. A few times it deletes our bluetooth added devices. Other times after the phone decides to shut it self off and I press and hold the side button to wake it  back up the device shows my battery is discharged. This will happen with a fully charged battery. Someone out there has to know about this issue besides the consumers. I went to the att store today with no help and samsung support was the same.....

Message 1 of 62 (8,460 Views)
Former Community Manager

Re: Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

smenard415 wrote:

jamileh,

No offense intended but there are over 100 Galaxy S 2 4.0.4 update complaints on here so perhaps someone from AT&T should check in more often?   I see from your posts that you are doing this on your own time so I thank you for that.  Your employer needs to step up to the plate and issue a new update or a fix for 4.0.4 as it is absolutely responsible for the dreaded sleep of death and horrific battery draining issues.  I have been late to work and missed any number of phone calls and messages due to this.  My wife's phone is just as bad or worse. 

We as users now have phones that do not work as advertised, are undependable and just not right.   AT&T needs to provide a fix or some sort of billing moratorium until such time they restore our confidence in these devices and AT&T's already poor customer service.   The company has been very good to me over a long period of time but these phones are depended on to function properly and right now they just are not trustworthy.  Heck, I've had to dig out my old wind up alarm clock just to get to work on time.

Again, thank you for any help you can provide all of us and tell your supervisors to monitor their own forums more than once a month.

Thanks,

Hi there, 

The community is my sole focus, as I am the Community Manager for AT&T. I'm here every day, responding to questions and working with my team to get issues resolved. Here's some additional information for you: http://forums.att.com/t5/About-The-AT-T-Community/Getting-Started/td-p/3154245

I truly am sorry that you are having problems with this update and while I know it doesn't ease your frustration, we do take the feedback posted here very seriously. Your feedback, comments, and complaints are very valuable to me and to AT&T. We are reviewing what's been discussed here and on other threads. That doesn't mean though, that I can promise an update or a fix at a specific time. 

If you have not tried the suggestions in this thread or in others (like re-formatting, disabling apps and taking out the sim car), I encourage you to do so. Many people have reported much better performance after taking steps like that. 

~jam

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 62 (7,559 Views)
Teacher

Re: Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

My phone is still shutting off since doing some of the things people recommended. Not as much but it never had a problem before the.4.0.4 update. The other day I just finished making a phone call, hung up and I always press the side button to turn the screen off. Less than one minute later a went to make another call and pressed the side button to turn on the screen. The screen flickered for a split second then the sleep of death occurred. I had to reboot the phone and the battery life was still about 80%. My wife told me her phone has been shutting off Alot again also. Don't think we are going to be renewing with ATT again.
Message 17 of 62 (7,532 Views)
Teacher

Why did it take you a week to reply to this thread?????????

Message 18 of 62 (7,532 Views)
Teacher

Factory reset did not help....

She is still having the high Exchange Server usage on the battery.....has lost Calendar sync all together....

I told her that if she would let me root her phone I could solve her problem, but her corporate policy will not allow, so as a result she has roughly 2 hour battery life and no Calendar sync after the 4.0.4 update for the Galaxy S2..

As far as "push" draining battery, it was not a problem previously....I have used push on my phones for corporate email for years and never had the battery drain she is experiencing....with all of the similar problems this is definitely a problem with the S2 4.0.4 update....

Message 19 of 62 (7,491 Views)
Mentor

Not having battery issues but still having random shut down issues. I have tried it with apps disabled and apps running.  Doesn't seem to matter that much.  Yesterday morning, had a phone call at 8am.  Immediatley after I hung up the phone was dead.  Restarted, it lasted till 10pm, then died again for no particular reason.  I don't think its apps causing the problem at all.  The kiss of death seems to be the 4.0.4 update.  Since there is no help I either have to live with it or try to get an early upgrade. 

Message 20 of 62 (7,483 Views)
Teacher

I am about to give up on 4.0.4.

The reliability of my phone is critical for my job!  If I miss a call at the wrong time, it will cause me and others big problems.

I've spoken to tech support twice, and done the following:

• Removed all but the most benign apps.  No improvement.
  • Factory reset. No improvement.
  • Disabled AT&T apps (I was the one who posted the suggestion a week ago).  Big improvement, but the phone is still not reliable.

I'm now seeing only the "sleep of death" issue.  The symptoms are: the phone sleeps with plenty of battery charge remaining.  When I try to wake it, no response.  When I try to restart it by holding the power button for 10 seconds, the battery charge icon shows a completely drained battery, and the phone won't start.  But if I plug a charge cable in, after a few seconds, the battery icon will show a significant charge and I can start the phone.

The "sleep of death" is happening up to twice a day, but usually once or not at all.  Still not good enough - woke up this morning and found the phone dead, and immediately was concerned I had missed a call from my job.

I've had the SGH-i777 (AT&T GSII) for more than a year, and love the device.  Unlike many, I'm not an AT&T basher.  I've had a wireless contract for 17 years, and have always been pleased.  But this is unacceptable, and the lack of any sense of urgency on the part of AT&T is disturbing.

Next option is root/ROM.  I have no desire to do this, as it is time-consuming and has its own problems.  But I have no other ideas, if AT&T doesn't step up their customer support.  And if I have to solve the problem on my own, I will have no interest in continuing my contract with AT&T.  Seems the trend is purchasing a phone outright and using an MVNO - so be it.

Message 21 of 62 (7,475 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Yesterday my phone shut down twice. I was on a call, the other party hung up. I pressed the screen but nothing came up. Pressed the side button and realized the sleep of death had occurred. Had to do a reboot, told my wife about it, she said her phone did the exact same thing after talking to her brother the other day.

I did get some news in a email this morning from att. They said my bill is ready!!!!!
Message 22 of 62 (7,390 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

So I called yesterday and was told the update that I was forced to download and install and that is also now causing my phone to shut down randomly was ment for the s3. I was then told that my phone was out of warrenty and that i could renew my contract and get the same phone as a curtisy, or pay 199 deductable to get a replacement. All this due to an error by AT&T. I dont understand why they would not allow me to chage phones. My upgrade is due in march why they couldnt just let me do an early upgrade to another phone i dont know. But to get stuck with the same phone for another 2 years is **.

I am going to just pay the early term fee and get out of Att its cheeper than the deductable... I am tired of the poor customer service and the disrespect towards their customers.

Message 23 of 62 (7,374 Views)
Explorer

I have had the same random shutdown issue here after the update. I may be okay now but I am still waiting. I only use it for voice calls and some texting, not for games, music, etc. Here's what I did so far:

1. Took it back to AT&T and they did the reset and replaced my info.

2. Did the Uninstall Updates & Disable on all the AT&T applications.

3. I only have one app - used to display battery life.

4. Turned off the percentage info in the top bar.

Phone still shut down twice. Both times it happened after ending a phone call using my earpiece. My bluetooth earpiece is maybe 5 years old. Thinking this might be the issue I turned off the bluetooth feature (already had WI-FI turned off). My phone ran for 4 days without a shutdown and still showed 19% power remaining! I plugged the charger in and let it get back to 100% then unplugged the charger and did a restart. The phone has continued to be fine since then (9 hours) and is showing 94% power remaining.

I plan on letting it be until the battery is low again and then enabling the bluetooth function to see what happens. I am optimistic!

Message 24 of 62 (7,331 Views)
Teacher

P.Ohas been shutting down two times a day
Message 25 of 62 (7,316 Views)
Explorer

Spoke too soon. Phone died twice today for no reason. AT&T offered to send a refurbished phone to me with 4.0.3. How does that not say there is a problem?!?
Message 26 of 62 (7,238 Views)
Mentor

Well mine made it from 8am yesterday till 5pm today without the sleep of death. Thought I might have been on to another solution but I totally give up.  Going to consider rooting I guess.  Seems to be the only fix if I want to keep this phone without upgrading.  My qestion to AT&T & Samsung would be, why would I even consider upgrading to an S3 if they have the S2 broken and unfixable??  What assurance would I have that the next software update would not be the same way on the S3?  

Message 27 of 62 (7,215 Views)
Teacher

Message 28 of 62 (7,127 Views)
Mentor

After trying all of the so called solutions that didn't work and continuing to have the sleep of death issue, I think I might have found the problem. I am no tech genious or anything so this is only my attempt to figure it out. I haven't had an issue with the phone not waking for about a day and a half. I think the problem is with Google Play and automatic updates of applications. I was noticing that every time I reset my phone after the sleep of death, an update would begin downloading for some app. So, I turned off automatic updates in Google Play settings. I haven't had an issue since.

I also turned on notifications for when updates are available. That way I still know when an update is available. Additionally, my battery life rocked yesterday after making this change.

Give it a shot and let us know if this works for you as well.

Message 29 of 62 (6,992 Views)
Mentor

I hope that works for you but I have always had mine to not automatically update.  I did notice when it would start back up after sleep of death that sometimes I would have updates available.  

I have since flashed my Rom back to 4.0.3 and at almost 48 hours in have had zero shut downs.  This is the longest I have gone since the 4.0.4 update.  Continuing to monitor.  

Message 30 of 62 (6,986 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.