The Samsung Galaxy S24
99ssconv's profile

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

Sunday, January 6th, 2013 1:55 AM

Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

My wife and myself started having the phones shut off at random after the last update a couple of weeks ago. A few times it deletes our bluetooth added devices. Other times after the phone decides to shut it self off and I press and hold the side button to wake it  back up the device shows my battery is discharged. This will happen with a fully charged battery. Someone out there has to know about this issue besides the consumers. I went to the att store today with no help and samsung support was the same.....

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

I'll have to look into that as well. 

I have a thread going on with one of the guys on the relevant team so I'll bring that up too. 

Guru

• 

725 Messages

11 years ago

@ablan59 wrote:

I agree 100%. As many people that have the same issue I can't believe AT&T or Samsung does not have a fix.  We shouldn't have to do our own troubleshooting.  I seriously want to root my phone but shouldn't have to do that to make it work right.  I switched from CrApple, never had a problem with my 3Gs other than it was just slow.  My wife has had a 4G and now a 5s with zero issues.  I hate all the limitations with apple but their stuff seems to work flawlessly most of the time.  And why have a user forum here is tech support never chimes in with solutions?  

Anyone at AT&T who blames issues with the I777 on Samsung is lying to you.  On a consistent and regular basis, AT&T's firmwares contain piles of problems not present in Samsung's I9100 releases, or contain a problem that Samsung fixed within weeks.

For example, the UCKK6 wifi power management issues existed in one or two Samsung builds from around the same time, like XWKK5.  However Samsung fixed the issues within weeks with XWKL2 for I9100 - but AT&T users didn't see an update until ICS was released in...  April?

General theme:  If AT&T blames something on Samsung, but the issue is not present in the GT-I9100, the person at AT&T blaming it on Samsung is lying.  Getting Samsung I9100 firmware to work on the I777 takes about 30 minutes at most.  Heck, for ICS I released packages that would do it automatically for you on XDA!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jrpros wrote:

jamileh, what about the "sleep of death" issue. That is far more annoying and of a much bigger concern than the battery life issues. Missing calls and alarms is not acceptable. And all of these work around solutions people are posting without any word from AT&T is ridiculous. We need this to be fixed ASAP and we need to know that someone is working on it.

Just a heads up that we do have thread for this concern here: http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Galaxy-S2-shutting-off-in-idle-mode/td-p/3247765

You're welcome to post your feedback/experience in that thread. I'll share it in my email. 

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

jamileh,

No offense intended but there are over 100 Galaxy S 2 4.0.4 update complaints on here so perhaps someone from AT&T should check in more often?   I see from your posts that you are doing this on your own time so I thank you for that.  Your employer needs to step up to the plate and issue a new update or a fix for 4.0.4 as it is absolutely responsible for the dreaded sleep of death and horrific battery draining issues.  I have been late to work and missed any number of phone calls and messages due to this.  My wife's phone is just as bad or worse. 

We as users now have phones that do not work as advertised, are undependable and just not right.   AT&T needs to provide a fix or some sort of billing moratorium until such time they restore our confidence in these devices and AT&T's already poor customer service.   The company has been very good to me over a long period of time but these phones are depended on to function properly and right now they just are not trustworthy.  Heck, I've had to dig out my old wind up alarm clock just to get to work on time.

Again, thank you for any help you can provide all of us and tell your supervisors to monitor their own forums more than once a month.

Thanks,

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

@smenard415 wrote:

@jamileh

No offense intended but there are over 100 Galaxy S 2 4.0.4 update complaints on here so perhaps someone from AT&T should check in more often?   I see from your posts that you are doing this on your own time so I thank you for that.  Your employer needs to step up to the plate and issue a new update or a fix for 4.0.4 as it is absolutely responsible for the dreaded sleep of death and horrific battery draining issues.  I have been late to work and missed any number of phone calls and messages due to this.  My wife's phone is just as bad or worse. 

We as users now have phones that do not work as advertised, are undependable and just not right.   AT&T needs to provide a fix or some sort of billing moratorium until such time they restore our confidence in these devices and AT&T's already poor customer service.   The company has been very good to me over a long period of time but these phones are depended on to function properly and right now they just are not trustworthy.  Heck, I've had to dig out my old wind up alarm clock just to get to work on time.

Again, thank you for any help you can provide all of us and tell your supervisors to monitor their own forums more than once a month.

Thanks,

Hi there, 

The community is my sole focus, as I am the Community Manager for AT&T. I'm here every day, responding to questions and working with my team to get issues resolved. Here's some additional information for you: http://forums.att.com/t5/About-The-AT-T-Community/Getting-Started/td-p/3154245

I truly am sorry that you are having problems with this update and while I know it doesn't ease your frustration, we do take the feedback posted here very seriously. Your feedback, comments, and complaints are very valuable to me and to AT&T. We are reviewing what's been discussed here and on other threads. That doesn't mean though, that I can promise an update or a fix at a specific time. 

If you have not tried the suggestions in this thread or in others (like re-formatting, disabling apps and taking out the sim car), I encourage you to do so. Many people have reported much better performance after taking steps like that. 

~jam

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

My phone is still shutting off since doing some of the things people recommended. Not as much but it never had a problem before the.4.0.4 update. The other day I just finished making a phone call, hung up and I always press the side button to turn the screen off. Less than one minute later a went to make another call and pressed the side button to turn on the screen. The screen flickered for a split second then the sleep of death occurred. I had to reboot the phone and the battery life was still about 80%. My wife told me her phone has been shutting off Alot again also. Don't think we are going to be renewing with ATT again.

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Why did it take you a week to reply to this thread?????????

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Factory reset did not help....

She is still having the high Exchange Server usage on the battery.....has lost Calendar sync all together....

I told her that if she would let me root her phone I could solve her problem, but her corporate policy will not allow, so as a result she has roughly 2 hour battery life and no Calendar sync after the 4.0.4 update for the Galaxy S2..

As far as "push" draining battery, it was not a problem previously....I have used push on my phones for corporate email for years and never had the battery drain she is experiencing....with all of the similar problems this is definitely a problem with the S2 4.0.4 update....

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Not having battery issues but still having random shut down issues. I have tried it with apps disabled and apps running.  Doesn't seem to matter that much.  Yesterday morning, had a phone call at 8am.  Immediatley after I hung up the phone was dead.  Restarted, it lasted till 10pm, then died again for no particular reason.  I don't think its apps causing the problem at all.  The kiss of death seems to be the 4.0.4 update.  Since there is no help I either have to live with it or try to get an early upgrade. 

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I am about to give up on 4.0.4.

The reliability of my phone is critical for my job!  If I miss a call at the wrong time, it will cause me and others big problems.

I've spoken to tech support twice, and done the following:

• Removed all but the most benign apps.  No improvement.
  • Factory reset. No improvement.
  • Disabled AT&T apps (I was the one who posted the suggestion a week ago).  Big improvement, but the phone is still not reliable.

I'm now seeing only the "sleep of death" issue.  The symptoms are: the phone sleeps with plenty of battery charge remaining.  When I try to wake it, no response.  When I try to restart it by holding the power button for 10 seconds, the battery charge icon shows a completely drained battery, and the phone won't start.  But if I plug a charge cable in, after a few seconds, the battery icon will show a significant charge and I can start the phone.

The "sleep of death" is happening up to twice a day, but usually once or not at all.  Still not good enough - woke up this morning and found the phone dead, and immediately was concerned I had missed a call from my job.

I've had the SGH-i777 (AT&T GSII) for more than a year, and love the device.  Unlike many, I'm not an AT&T basher.  I've had a wireless contract for 17 years, and have always been pleased.  But this is unacceptable, and the lack of any sense of urgency on the part of AT&T is disturbing.

Next option is root/ROM.  I have no desire to do this, as it is time-consuming and has its own problems.  But I have no other ideas, if AT&T doesn't step up their customer support.  And if I have to solve the problem on my own, I will have no interest in continuing my contract with AT&T.  Seems the trend is purchasing a phone outright and using an MVNO - so be it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.