Galaxy SIII Petition to remove early termination fee

Mentor

Galaxy SIII Petition to remove early termination fee

I firmly believe those of us unfortunate enough to have been contracted into two years with ATT's variant of the Galaxy SIII should be entitled to a free early termination. I am starting this thread to see how many supporters we can get. It is unprofessional, unreliable, and just plain unsafe of ATT.
Message 1 of 29 (4,710 Views)
Guru

Re: Galaxy SIII Petition to remove early termination fee

ECERRL wrote:
The tmobile firmware update has also been ported over to the att variant of the sIII.. why does THEIR software work on YOUR device that supposedly "needs to be tested"

If only I could give 100 kudos to this post! Unfortunately, AT&T has a habit of dragging their feet when it comes to Android updates. The HTC One X just got the 4.1.1 update in the beginning of March. Although AT&T apologists will state that "AT&T must test the firmware extensively...", this is clearly a case where lack of urgency is the culprit. Every major (as well as a few minor) carrier in the U.S. has rolled out the update. Obviously, it works just fine with their networks. I do not buy the "testing" excuse.

Message 16 of 29 (4,543 Views)
Guru

Evandela wrote:

In the U.S as you are aware, the carriers must first test the software before they release it because they assume responsibility if something goes wrong, not the manufacturer.

Perhaps it's high time that carriers stopped meddling in the update process (read as: infesting updates with bloatware) and allowed the manufacturers to do what they should be doing in the first place? Clearly, the carriers do not control the update process for the benefit of the consumer. They control it for their own benefit only. I've been very public on this forum, as well as several others, that my Galaxy S3 is the last carrier variant phone I ever purchase. As such, I have absolutely no reason to renew my contract with AT&T. Am I going to leave? Maybe, maybe not. However, I certainly won't be tied to them. There is no excuse for dropping the ball on a flagship device.

Message 17 of 29 (4,536 Views)
Professor

Just how long are you people going to complain about AT&T's proven track record of not releasing updates in a timely manner? Fact of the matter is, you can expect similar delays with most, if not all other carriers, and even if some random update for some random device has been pushed to everyone but us, is it really any surprise? You know what the definition of insanity is, right?

You want updates straight from Google's mouth? Get a Nexus.

You want it NOW NOW NOW? Root your device and flash it yourself. Samsung was even kind enough to make ODIN available to the public.

You're tired of being tied down by a contract? There's plenty of pay-as-you-go options out there.

Crying about matters whilst doing absolutely nothing to remedy your situation should never be an option.

Message 18 of 29 (4,526 Views)
Guru

@jii:

There's a distinct difference between complaining and venting one's frustrations. Personally, I'm not expecting AT&T to change their ways just because of a few posts on their forum. On June 26, I'll be placing an order for the Samsung GS4 Google Edition and saying goodbye to carrier variants. Full access to AT&T's LTE, direct from Google updates and not having to sign another contract - how can anyone complain about that? Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 29 (4,502 Views)
Scholar

Paying customers have every right to vent about bad service, especially when the competitor offers the exact same phone but better support for it. No, you shouldn't have to root your phone nor have it loaded with stuff you'll never use. Apple doesn't do it that way and they aren't the whole market. Most ROM's either have bugs or cut out major features altogether so frankly that's a poor solution to the problem. The problem is AT&T not providing adequate product support and it ends there. They need to remedy it, it's not the consumer's place to do their job.
Message 20 of 29 (4,431 Views)
Professor

Amen to that. With my last device, I had to unlock the bootloader, root, and flash a custom rom just so I could get it updated and remove all the bull they had preloaded on it. Now, I have a Nexus 4 that runs as smooth as butter and I don't have to wonder if it is gonna be updated.

Message 21 of 29 (4,322 Views)
Professor

Let's be honest with ourselves here and just say that ALL ROMs, whether OEM or cooked, have bugs. As for major features being left our by various chefs, you can find .apks for just about anything now, including carrier specific apps, so that's not an issue either.

Sorry, but I stand by my previous point.

Message 22 of 29 (4,273 Views)
Mentor

Sorry ur only here to ush buttons
Message 23 of 29 (4,216 Views)
Mentor

Jii is not helpful in the least and is suggesting to users to void warranty.. not a viable solution.
Message 24 of 29 (4,215 Views)
Professor

No, I am suggesting you take some ownership over your situation and try to remedy something yourself, since it would seem that you're not going to be getting the official response you desire anytime soon. If that is beyond you, then that's your problem, not mine.

Message 25 of 29 (4,151 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Absolutely right. Not only that but besides the warranty issue you still have potential to brick your phone entirely. Rooting is not a valid remedy to the problem, the problem being AT&T not doing their job. With a lot of Samsung phones features being software based that's ridiculous to offer as a"solution" along with adding single apk's to get back functionality you lose or quell "bugs". The average user is not that technically inclined anyways.
Message 26 of 29 (3,973 Views)
Professor

With the public availability of ODIN from Samsung, bricking your phone is pretty much impossible.

Also, I had never mentioned anything about installing an individual .apk to "quell a bug." What I had mention was that ALL ROMs come with bugs, either cooked or OEM. The adding of an OEM .apk would be a solution to reinstalling some native app a particular chef might have left out of a particular ROM.

You really should do more research on a subject before speaking out on it.

Message 27 of 29 (3,930 Views)
Mentor

We dont want a "remedy" that voids our warranties AS STATED BEFORE. We are looking for an official release or at least acknowledgement that one is coming. Ur suggestion isnt unhelpful Jii it is only unhelpful to those who want an official solution. Please start a new thread if you would like to inform of rooting or romming
Message 28 of 29 (3,881 Views)
Professor

Yes, you had mentioned that already. My last post wasnt addressed to you. I'm sorry, I should have quoted the poster I was addressing.

Message 29 of 29 (3,813 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.