The Samsung Galaxy S24
FuturePilot's profile

Scholar

• 

15 Messages

Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 8:59 PM

Galaxy S4 randomly makes keypad tone/beep during calls

I don't know what happened to the original thread I posted on this but here is the problem. During calls I will randomly hear a tone that sounds like someone pressed a button on their keypad. I thought maybe it was the other person but this happens on every call. My screen is set to turn off via the proximity sensor and I don't even have the keypad open when this happens. It's really annoying. Smiley Mad

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the s5 and now for the past month am hearing this same thing. ALL the alerts are off too. Any ideas?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have a newly purchased Galaxy Note 4 and this problem just started a month or so ago and has continued to get worse. It now happens during every phone call, whether on speaker, bluetooth or just on the phone. It sounds like someone has hit the keypad and yes, the other party can hear it. I had a Samsung Galaxy 3 for years and never had this issue. Has anyone found a solution?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

It happens sometimes more than others...like today i received 3 tones within one minute. The person at the other end has an i phone and they do not hear the tone. This tone NEVER happens when talking to a landline phone only to another cell. This is very annoying.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Could it be related to VOLTE? It will beep when attempting to move the call to VOLTE. Have had people turn VOLTE off and the beep goes away.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have a Galaxy Note 3 on T-Mobile and have also noticed my phone dialing keys on the dialpad during calls.  It happens while the screen is off and while on speakerphone sitting in the car or on a desk.  These are DIAL TONES not minute notifications, call waiting beeps or VoLTE beeps.

I noticed these changes after an Android system update.  Given that other posters have experienced this with various carriers and other operating systems (i.e. ios) I suspect one of two likely causes:

1) This is a conflict issue with a widely used app and changes in updates to the operating systems.  However, this seems unlikely to occur with two different operating systems as they use different programming languages,

Or

2) the unsettling yet more likely answer - this is the result of planned obsolescence.  A software glitch purposefully introduced with OS updates to annoy customers with their current phone so they're more likely to purchase a new one when released.  Psychologically, its brilliant.  If it were much more than a minor annoyance, it would make customers switch brands but with a minor annoyance, they'll just think it'll be fixed with the new phone.  

I've read a number of articles talking about the slowed progression of features with each new phone iteration.  For example, although the number of megapixels are only part of the recipe for a great photo staying great when enlarged, Samsung actually downgraded the megapixels in its Galaxy line from 16 in the S6 to 12 in the S7 (although IMO most people don't need more than 8 megapixels for their rear-facing photo needs).  This is one of myriad examples of the plateau that has been reached in smart phone feature progression.  The changes added with each iteration are either rehashes from previous iterations (like water resistance or wireless charging) or  they're negligable and more customers are choosing to hold on to their still awesome older phones rather than upgrading.

Of course, this is just speculation but as a software developer, I wouldn't put it past a major corporation to do something like this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.