The Samsung Galaxy S24
samcham's profile

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

Thursday, June 20th, 2013 1:35 PM

Galaxy S4 Battery Drain

I love my Galaxy S4, except for a battery drain issue.  Last night, I went to bed with about 80% battery remaining.  6 hours later, it was down to 32%.  That's unacceptable, as the phone wasn't really doing anything while I was asleep.

I have all of the "cool" features - GPS, Bluetooth, multi-window, NFC, Air View, etc. - turned off.  The only things on were WiFi, Mobile Data, Blocking Mode, Sync (Google account only) and Power Saving.

What in the world is causing my phone to lose 50% of the battery life overnight, with the screen off?

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

I must be a fortunate GS4 owner. After the 4.3 update I am experiencing great battery life. I would drain the battery, shut the phone off and let it charge off overnight. I too have the cool features turned off and have disabled a TON of added stuff I do not use. Have you disabled a lot of the pre-installed apps?? 

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@iceman4357 wrote:

I must be a fortunate GS4 owner. After the 4.3 update I am experiencing great battery life.

There is always a big variation in battery life reports after a major  One big factor, is the radio software is usually updated, and everyone is going to have a different result depending on reception at their specific location.  And there may be incompatibilities with existing installed apps, or runaway processes (as you mentioned).

Many users will see an improvement in battery life after an update (as is the intent).  But most of those folks won't go on the internet to announce that things have gotten better.  Folks usually only post when they have a problem.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I've been an S4 Active user for some time now.  After "tuning" a few applications, battery life was quite good.  I do have exchange sync running 7x24 for corporate email.  Typically, I would unplug around 6p with 100% battery, maybe a couple of calls at night, but in the morning, would have 85% battery remaining after the alarm woke me up.  No issue there, until the latest firmware update. 3.4.0*2244695 applied about 3 days ago, my wake up battery dropped to 30%.  Attempted tuning apps, stopping things like Pandora (check running apps under settings) even though I haven't used Pandora in several days.  Also found ATT Navigator running, though I haven't used that in over a week.  Still attempting to tune this new build, as it seems the firmware update has caused my battery drain.  I'll post again after diddling with this for a few more days and report back.  Dave.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same thing with my Motorola Moto X.  A sudden unknown change occurred causing my battery to drain more than 3x faster than before.  The phone is one year old, and I'm a 'light user.'  Data is off, wifi is off, GPS is off, and phone has been rebooted.

About the same time (last week) I swithced my phone from an AT&T contract to a 'GoPhone' account....

Also, The same problem occured with my wife's Apple iphone 4s at the very same time?  Unbelievable!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Look at any apps that you might have loaded that caused the sudden change in battery drain.
Look at running apps under the settings.

David

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

I killed over eight apps, among them, 2 motorola services, several google services, and two downloaded apps.  Somehow these survived the reboot and I will update with results thx GRB

Professor

• 

3K Messages

9 years ago

@grbaker wrote:

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same thing with my Motorola Moto X.  A sudden unknown change occurred causing my battery to drain more than 3x faster than before.  The phone is one year old, and I'm a 'light user.'  Data is off, wifi is off, GPS is off, and phone has been rebooted.

About the same time (last week) I swithced my phone from an AT&T contract to a 'GoPhone' account....

Also, The same problem occured with my wife's Apple iphone 4s at the very same time?  Unbelievable!

If no changes (OS update, new apps) and your wife is having same issues at your same home location, it could very well be a network issue.  Issues with a local cell tower can be sending your phones into overdrive as they try to stay connected to the network.  You might just wait it out for a couple days  and see if the issue resolves itself, or call AT&T and see if there are any local network issues.

Do you have a different location (like workplace) where you can test if the battery drain is any different?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you for the response - I apologize for hacking the thread, but this seems like a logical response to my problem.  Hopefully the problem is short term in nature.  I have no place else where I spend lots of time, so nothing to compare to;(  I will repost if problem does not go away in the short term!

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

The dreaded drain has returned and according to the internal battery monitor on my phone, 'google services' are using 57% of battery while screen is using %10.  This is obviously not right.  The service has sent 1.76MB in mobile data (101kb mobile data received)!  What's going on with my phone, and why can't I kill this service (I've tried manually and with CCleaner)?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.