Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 20, 2013
6:35:05 AM
View profile
Galaxy S4 Battery Drain

I love my Galaxy S4, except for a battery drain issue.  Last night, I went to bed with about 80% battery remaining.  6 hours later, it was down to 32%.  That's unacceptable, as the phone wasn't really doing anything while I was asleep.

I have all of the "cool" features - GPS, Bluetooth, multi-window, NFC, Air View, etc. - turned off.  The only things on were WiFi, Mobile Data, Blocking Mode, Sync (Google account only) and Power Saving.

What in the world is causing my phone to lose 50% of the battery life overnight, with the screen off?

I love my Galaxy S4, except for a battery drain issue.  Last night, I went to bed with about 80% battery remaining.  6 hours later, it was down to 32%.  That's unacceptable, as the phone wasn't really doing anything while I was asleep.

I have all of the "cool" features - GPS, Bluetooth, multi-window, NFC, Air View, etc. - turned off.  The only things on were WiFi, Mobile Data, Blocking Mode, Sync (Google account only) and Power Saving.

What in the world is causing my phone to lose 50% of the battery life overnight, with the screen off?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 20, 2013 9:34:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
No, when your phone's screen is off (or asleep) or actively using other apps, those apps will continue to run in the background. You can turn this feature off by going to Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Tap the menu key > Tap the Restrict Background data box.

The lower brightness option was just another way for you to save battery life, I know it doesn't apply to your phone being asleep. Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Galaxy S4 Battery Drain

19 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 7:52:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hello there!

Sorry to hear about your battery usage.

One thing that could be the cause is the applications using background data. Try turning background data off and see if that makes any difference in battery life. Smiley Happy

Another thing it could be might be the brightness of the screen. The brighter it is, the more power it can consume. Try lowering it down to something low bit yet comfy for your eyes and see if the battery life improves.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hello there!

One thing that could be the cause is the applications using background data. Try turning background data off and see if that makes any difference in battery life. Smiley Happy

Another thing it could be might be the brightness of the screen. The brighter it is, the more power it can consume. Try lowering it down to something low bit yet comfy for your eyes and see if the battery life improves.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Galaxy S4 Battery Drain

2 of 20 (20,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 9:03:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

Evandela wrote:
Hello there!

Screen brightness is irrelevant.  This happens overnight, when I'm not using the phone, so the screen is not on.

By "background data", do you mean the "Mobile data" toggle?

Evandela wrote:
Hello there!

Screen brightness is irrelevant.  This happens overnight, when I'm not using the phone, so the screen is not on.

By "background data", do you mean the "Mobile data" toggle?

3 of 20 (20,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 20, 2013 9:34:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
No, when your phone's screen is off (or asleep) or actively using other apps, those apps will continue to run in the background. You can turn this feature off by going to Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Tap the menu key > Tap the Restrict Background data box.

The lower brightness option was just another way for you to save battery life, I know it doesn't apply to your phone being asleep. Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy

4 of 20 (20,879 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 3:19:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks, turning off Background Data did the trick.  It only dropped 6% overnight.

Now, is there an easier way to turn it on and off?  I don't see a toggle on the notification page.

Thanks, turning off Background Data did the trick.  It only dropped 6% overnight.

Now, is there an easier way to turn it on and off?  I don't see a toggle on the notification page.

5 of 20 (20,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 8:33:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I'm afraid I'm not aware of any ways to have like some sort of shortcut button to turn it off and on faster. Smiley Sad Perhaps there is an app in the Google Play Store that might help?
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
I'm afraid I'm not aware of any ways to have like some sort of shortcut button to turn it off and on faster. Smiley Sad Perhaps there is an app in the Google Play Store that might help?

6 of 20 (20,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 9:12:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

I must have spoken too soon.  Turning off background data worked for a week or two.  It's still off, and my phone went from 82% to 40% overnight.

Any other ideas?

I must have spoken too soon.  Turning off background data worked for a week or two.  It's still off, and my phone went from 82% to 40% overnight.

Any other ideas?

7 of 20 (20,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 3:43:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

My phone did the same exact thing, I did all these little tweeks like setting the theme to black, disabling push notiifcations and it still didn't do much... I ended up caving in and purchasing an extended battery. it lasts like 2 days now.

http://www.accessoryswamp.com/galaxy-s4-battery.html

My phone did the same exact thing, I did all these little tweeks like setting the theme to black, disabling push notiifcations and it still didn't do much... I ended up caving in and purchasing an extended battery. it lasts like 2 days now.

http://www.accessoryswamp.com/galaxy-s4-battery.html

8 of 20 (18,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 8:24:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

My battery was getting excellent life, until the 4.2.2 OTA update a few weeks ago. I posted a lenghty description of the issue in a separate post, but have gotten no responses. 

Same settings, same use, everything. Not sure if that is what is affecting yours, but I'm certain the last update has done something that is absolutely destroying my battery life. I couldn't believe how good it was before the update, now it is garbage.

My battery was getting excellent life, until the 4.2.2 OTA update a few weeks ago. I posted a lenghty description of the issue in a separate post, but have gotten no responses. 

Same settings, same use, everything. Not sure if that is what is affecting yours, but I'm certain the last update has done something that is absolutely destroying my battery life. I couldn't believe how good it was before the update, now it is garbage.

9 of 20 (18,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2013 3:55:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

I use Juice Defender.  There is a free version available from Google Play, but I use the Ultimate.  Under customize, you can turn off connectivity automatically.  You just set what hours you don't want it to connect.  It also tells you how much it has extended your battery life.  It says that it has extended mine 2.16 X over the last 48 hours.

Hope this helps!

I use Juice Defender.  There is a free version available from Google Play, but I use the Ultimate.  Under customize, you can turn off connectivity automatically.  You just set what hours you don't want it to connect.  It also tells you how much it has extended your battery life.  It says that it has extended mine 2.16 X over the last 48 hours.

Hope this helps!

10 of 20 (14,276 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2013 8:17:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

Lizmacq wrote:

It says that it has extended mine 2.16 X over the last 48 hours.

Hope this helps!

That's quite a bit to say the least.. If I could double my battery life I would absolutely buy that app but honestly I'm a bit suspect to those kinds of numbers..  May I ask how many hours you get between charges and importantly how many hours does it say your screen was on during that period??  Also what do you keep your brightness at? Auto/20%/30%/50% ect.. 

I use GSam Battery Monitor to gauge whats eating battery life and the constants are Screen and App Usage/Android Systems..

Lizmacq wrote:

It says that it has extended mine 2.16 X over the last 48 hours.

Hope this helps!

That's quite a bit to say the least.. If I could double my battery life I would absolutely buy that app but honestly I'm a bit suspect to those kinds of numbers..  May I ask how many hours you get between charges and importantly how many hours does it say your screen was on during that period??  Also what do you keep your brightness at? Auto/20%/30%/50% ect.. 

I use GSam Battery Monitor to gauge whats eating battery life and the constants are Screen and App Usage/Android Systems..

11 of 20 (14,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 8:24:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

I must be a fortunate GS4 owner. After the 4.3 update I am experiencing great battery life. I would drain the battery, shut the phone off and let it charge off overnight. I too have the cool features turned off and have disabled a TON of added stuff I do not use. Have you disabled a lot of the pre-installed apps?? 

I must be a fortunate GS4 owner. After the 4.3 update I am experiencing great battery life. I would drain the battery, shut the phone off and let it charge off overnight. I too have the cool features turned off and have disabled a TON of added stuff I do not use. Have you disabled a lot of the pre-installed apps?? 

12 of 20 (14,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 8:46:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

iceman4357 wrote:

I must be a fortunate GS4 owner. After the 4.3 update I am experiencing great battery life.

There is always a big variation in battery life reports after a major  One big factor, is the radio software is usually updated, and everyone is going to have a different result depending on reception at their specific location.  And there may be incompatibilities with existing installed apps, or runaway processes (as you mentioned).

Many users will see an improvement in battery life after an update (as is the intent).  But most of those folks won't go on the internet to announce that things have gotten better.  Folks usually only post when they have a problem.

iceman4357 wrote:

I must be a fortunate GS4 owner. After the 4.3 update I am experiencing great battery life.

There is always a big variation in battery life reports after a major  One big factor, is the radio software is usually updated, and everyone is going to have a different result depending on reception at their specific location.  And there may be incompatibilities with existing installed apps, or runaway processes (as you mentioned).

Many users will see an improvement in battery life after an update (as is the intent).  But most of those folks won't go on the internet to announce that things have gotten better.  Folks usually only post when they have a problem.

13 of 20 (14,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 2:58:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've been an S4 Active user for some time now.  After "tuning" a few applications, battery life was quite good.  I do have exchange sync running 7x24 for corporate email.  Typically, I would unplug around 6p with 100% battery, maybe a couple of calls at night, but in the morning, would have 85% battery remaining after the alarm woke me up.  No issue there, until the latest firmware update. 3.4.0*2244695 applied about 3 days ago, my wake up battery dropped to 30%.  Attempted tuning apps, stopping things like Pandora (check running apps under settings) even though I haven't used Pandora in several days.  Also found ATT Navigator running, though I haven't used that in over a week.  Still attempting to tune this new build, as it seems the firmware update has caused my battery drain.  I'll post again after diddling with this for a few more days and report back.  Dave.

I've been an S4 Active user for some time now.  After "tuning" a few applications, battery life was quite good.  I do have exchange sync running 7x24 for corporate email.  Typically, I would unplug around 6p with 100% battery, maybe a couple of calls at night, but in the morning, would have 85% battery remaining after the alarm woke me up.  No issue there, until the latest firmware update. 3.4.0*2244695 applied about 3 days ago, my wake up battery dropped to 30%.  Attempted tuning apps, stopping things like Pandora (check running apps under settings) even though I haven't used Pandora in several days.  Also found ATT Navigator running, though I haven't used that in over a week.  Still attempting to tune this new build, as it seems the firmware update has caused my battery drain.  I'll post again after diddling with this for a few more days and report back.  Dave.

14 of 20 (10,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2015 8:17:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same thing with my Motorola Moto X.  A sudden unknown change occurred causing my battery to drain more than 3x faster than before.  The phone is one year old, and I'm a 'light user.'  Data is off, wifi is off, GPS is off, and phone has been rebooted.

About the same time (last week) I swithced my phone from an AT&T contract to a 'GoPhone' account....

Also, The same problem occured with my wife's Apple iphone 4s at the very same time?  Unbelievable!

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same thing with my Motorola Moto X.  A sudden unknown change occurred causing my battery to drain more than 3x faster than before.  The phone is one year old, and I'm a 'light user.'  Data is off, wifi is off, GPS is off, and phone has been rebooted.

About the same time (last week) I swithced my phone from an AT&T contract to a 'GoPhone' account....

Also, The same problem occured with my wife's Apple iphone 4s at the very same time?  Unbelievable!

15 of 20 (3,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2015 8:21:24 AM
(0)
Tutor
Look at any apps that you might have loaded that caused the sudden change in battery drain.
Look at running apps under the settings.

David
Look at any apps that you might have loaded that caused the sudden change in battery drain.
Look at running apps under the settings.

David

16 of 20 (3,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2015 9:45:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

I killed over eight apps, among them, 2 motorola services, several google services, and two downloaded apps.  Somehow these survived the reboot and I will update with results thx GRB

I killed over eight apps, among them, 2 motorola services, several google services, and two downloaded apps.  Somehow these survived the reboot and I will update with results thx GRB

17 of 20 (3,278 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2015 10:47:54 AM
(1)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 7, 2015 at 11:01:06 AM

grbaker wrote:

Hi there,

If no changes (OS update, new apps) and your wife is having same issues at your same home location, it could very well be a network issue.  Issues with a local cell tower can be sending your phones into overdrive as they try to stay connected to the network.  You might just wait it out for a couple days  and see if the issue resolves itself, or call AT&T and see if there are any local network issues.

Do you have a different location (like workplace) where you can test if the battery drain is any different?

grbaker wrote:

Hi there,

If no changes (OS update, new apps) and your wife is having same issues at your same home location, it could very well be a network issue.  Issues with a local cell tower can be sending your phones into overdrive as they try to stay connected to the network.  You might just wait it out for a couple days  and see if the issue resolves itself, or call AT&T and see if there are any local network issues.

Do you have a different location (like workplace) where you can test if the battery drain is any different?

[ Edited ]
18 of 20 (3,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2015 3:39:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you for the response - I apologize for hacking the thread, but this seems like a logical response to my problem.  Hopefully the problem is short term in nature.  I have no place else where I spend lots of time, so nothing to compare to;(  I will repost if problem does not go away in the short term!

Thank you for the response - I apologize for hacking the thread, but this seems like a logical response to my problem.  Hopefully the problem is short term in nature.  I have no place else where I spend lots of time, so nothing to compare to;(  I will repost if problem does not go away in the short term!

19 of 20 (3,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2015 6:28:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

The dreaded drain has returned and according to the internal battery monitor on my phone, 'google services' are using 57% of battery while screen is using %10.  This is obviously not right.  The service has sent 1.76MB in mobile data (101kb mobile data received)!  What's going on with my phone, and why can't I kill this service (I've tried manually and with CCleaner)?

The dreaded drain has returned and according to the internal battery monitor on my phone, 'google services' are using 57% of battery while screen is using %10.  This is obviously not right.  The service has sent 1.76MB in mobile data (101kb mobile data received)!  What's going on with my phone, and why can't I kill this service (I've tried manually and with CCleaner)?

20 of 20 (3,036 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments