The Samsung Galaxy S24
jackerbes's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, December 28th, 2013 11:37 PM

Galaxy S4 Actiive - remove unwanted apps?

It there a way to remove all the google and AT&T apps on my S4 Active that I don't use and never will use? 

If not, is there a way to replace the operating system with one that will let me have control over all of the apps? 

I keep phones for years (came to the S4 from an iPhone 3GS) and my needs a pretty basic...

Jack

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

I don't have your specific device, but you should be able to go to Settings>Apps>All and choose the app that you don't want and disable it.  Some apps can't be disabled, though.  This does not remove the app from your phone, but it won't show in the app drawer so it will be out of your way.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

And which apps can be disabled becomes fewer with updates.  Too much bloat and if you don't know to disable your unwanted apps you will be paying a lot more for data than necessary.  If you like GPS stuff just turn it on when you want to use it, and some of us, or many of us, do not need / want to have things 'syncing' automatically all the time.  Hey, I am a dumb person with a smart phone but I want to pay for my usage and entertainment only, not anybody elses' information gathering.  At least when I signed up with AT&T I can keep track of exactly what I am using and paying for and make my decisions accordingly.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the replies.   It was, as I suspected, not as easy as simply removing what I don't want. 

I am now also looking at "rooting" the phone and taking control of things that.  That is a little more complicated but there is a lot of help available for accomplishing that from places like this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4-active/general

Jack

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunately, with the S4 Active it's not currently possible. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2348290 — with the bootloader locked there's nothing that can be done. It's a bummer for sure 😞

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Dang, I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel and it blinks out! 

I wonder if the locked bootloader is just a matter of time?  Or if maybe I should have bought the regular S4 and not the active? 

Jack

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

I think that the regular S4 has a locked bootloader, as well.  Verizon Wireless and AT&T have moved to locking all bootloaders on Android devices.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@jackerbes wrote:

Dang, I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel and it blinks out! 

I wonder if the locked bootloader is just a matter of time?  Or if maybe I should have bought the regular S4 and not the active? 

Jack

@21stNow wrote:

I think that the regular S4 has a locked bootloader, as well.  Verizon Wireless and AT&T have moved to locking all bootloaders on Android devices.

Speculation: the locked bootloader on S4 Active is probably here to stay as the phone isn't popular enough to generate the amount of interest it takes to break through.

The regular S4 has a locked bootloader as well, but that has been cracked. However, if the regular S4 is an acceptable option I would recommend looking into Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition instead. It comes SIM unlocked, bootloader unlocked, gets updated to new versions of Android pretty promptly and is completely devoid of all AT&T & Samsung bloatware.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I guess the S4 and and S4 Active are not simply the same phone in two different wrappers then?  I thought from looking at them that they were the same other than the waterproofing and stuff. 

Jack

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

The S4 and S4 Active are very similar devices.

The Active has the waterproofing, a slighty lower resolution camera (8MP vs. 13MP) and a different display (HD LCD vs AMOLED)

Beyond that the devices are the same in terms of processor, storage (Expect the S4 does have a 32GB model you can buy) and RAM.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I'm still reading a little about the rooting process and all the other stuff over on the XDA forums, if a way pops up to get rid of the bloatware I'll do that but the phone is OK as it is.  I just ignore a log of things...

I keep phones forever and don't like to go through the learing curve too much. 

The 16GB of basic memory is fine for me and I've added a 32GB card to it.  That will handle all of my needs for storage. 

I'm hearing impaired and use a pair of Phonak hearing aids with an intermediate iCom bluetooth device (worn like a necklace to pair with the phone) get calls, music, and audiobooks into my hearing aids.  So once I get all the bits and pieces figured out and working I'm not inclined to change things much.

Once you get used to having the decent quality AD2P stereo and good hearing too, all in one package, it makes life a lot more fun.  

Jack

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.