Helpful Links

Galaxy S3 Showing Wrong Location

Contributor

Galaxy S3 Showing Wrong Location

Hello,

My (and my wife's) galaxy s3 shows that we are in Philadelphia. This would be great but we are in Portland, OR. It ONLY happens when using the new LTE network to determine our locations. If we use GPS or wifi, it works perfectly.

Whenever I call into support I get someone who is unable to help or even suggests calling Samsung like it's a Samsung issue. I did call Samsung just so I can say I did. It is clearly not their issue.

Anyone else have this issue? or heard of it? Any ideas how to resolve? I assume it's a bigger ATT LTE network issue and needs to be investigated on their end. But my attempts to communicate this with them have failed due to no fault of my own. I have been very clear what the issue is.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
Professor

Re: Galaxy S3 Showing Wrong Location

Idk if it has to do with Philadelphia just getting LTE today and it may be screwing yours up...but is this showing your wrong location in maps? What happens when you click the "Locate me" button at the top right of the maps app?
Message 2 of 6
Professor

Local LTE network is probably just reporting the wrong location.  Pose the question to customer support in this way, and maybe they will know what you are talking about, and get it reported to be fixed.

Message 3 of 6
Contributor

GPS works fine. It is only an issue when connected to the LTE network.

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Contributor

I have tried a couple times to explain this situation to phone support without success. I will likely try one more time tonight.

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

Well I had it happen while both connected to the Wifi and while not connected to wifi, I live in Memphis, TN and it was saying that I was in Belefonte, PA. 1st I had been having problems with routers and I thought maybe it was the problem with it, contacting router company, they said it had to be a problem with phone and I should contact HTC(have Vivids) so instead I contacted Att since phones are under warranty, so I 1st chatted with a person, they said well they read something about a tower problem and it should resolve in 2 hours, I said it might be the wifi, they suggest to contact cable company. Contact comcast, chatted online 1st, she couldn't figure out and gave me number to call, then I called, ended up intially couldn't find problem, so said I could call phone company or talk to signature support, went other and got setup for that service(24/7 tech support now, which is nice because I can get help with Tech problems, salesperson said it sounded like my IP had been stolen, so she sent me to the tech, they did a whole lot, they looked up about the problem in ATT forums(also told me no my Internet hadn't been stolen), and said he was shocked from the post he saw about the problem ATT was not addressing it, told me to call them and let them know what he did to help. Called ATT, hit for Tech department, they couldn't help but sent me to data, data went through everything, even asked had I been to PA lately and I said no. No help suggested contact Google, I did girl said that they couldn't help since one of the apps was a preinstalll but for me to call HTC cause it sounded like a possible gps locator failure. Talked to their Tech and he had me go through and clear data etc, he also helped me on another problem I had. It got fixed.

Now it might not be your problem and I never really got a straight answer what caused it. But I would contact Samsung if I were you and you might get some help. I'm dissapointed though in that Att, really did only so much, told me to go contact the companies, I remember when they used to say we can contact with so/so, not anymore.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support