The Samsung Galaxy S24
handymanny's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 2:31 AM

Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean - Issues

If you goto Edit Pages from Menu Button and click Edit Page.. Then if you try to remove a page from the group of screens (pages).. it says TouchWiz Error and also no updates for Camera found in this release and also other issues associated with the relese.. I am not sure maybe ATT released the Jelly Bean out of the blue.. I call this a Toilet paper Release...

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

Final Update:  SUCCESS!!!

I decided that I would send Samsung the refurb S3 that exhibited the same problem as my new one.  Before I would do so, I thought I would fire it up with the new SIM (that I just received) to recreate the problem - so that I could claim that it froze/rebooted just before I sent it.  To my surprise, it didn't.  In fact, it was stable for the next two days....no reboots at all.  There were two variables that made it different from when it was rebooting: 1) a new SIM card, 2) I did a Factory Data Reset just before I put it away (when I went to the new phone).

So...I decided that I would do a Factory Data Reset of the new phone and reinsert the new SIM.  It's been stable all day.  By now, it would have rebooted every time the status of the wifi connection changed.

The solution for my several month journey:  remove SIM, Factory Data Reset the phone, reinsert a new SIM card.

Unsolved mystery: Why the problem started after the ICS to JB update;  and how would a bad SIM card corrupt something in the system.

I hope this helps.  When all is said and done, the S3 is an outstanding smartphone.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

It appears that I had a different problem than Rickalodeon.

The offender has been identified.  Surprise, it is an AT&T app:  AT&T Voicemail Viewer.  

After going through a factory reset and tracking everything I do (not just app installs but when enabling any feature in an app...) it appears that the problem child was "AT&T Voicemail Viewer" which was an app that I enjoyed.  Silly me, when I had the problem and went through uninstalling apps before the factory reset, I had not done the ATT apps since I figured those were solid.  Doh!

Here are comments from the Google Play store -- other user comments on the ATT Voicemail Viewer app:

• After updating to Samsung / AT&T stock JB 4.1.1 ROM this app causes my phone to freeze or lockup all the time. The phone (or maybe just TouchWiz) always freezes when leaving a WiFi network or when disabling WiFi.
  • Causes my S3 to lock up and or reboot frequently. Only just now figured this out thanks to other reviews.
  • It locks up and resets the phone and disconnects wifi and/or bluetooth.
  • As soon as I installed my s3 started freezing and rebooting.
  • This app continues to lock up the phone and cause a reload when network connectivity changes.
  • Version 3.0.0.7 still causing random lockups and reboots on ICS 4.1.1
  • I have a note 2 that was constantly freezing and rebooting. I read in a forum that if I uninstall this app the problem will go away. Since I've uninstalled, my phone has worked flawlessly.
  • Everytime I download this app..it crashes my phone and resets it. The crash happens when I switch from wifi to 4G. I've trouble shooted the situation and it all traced back to this application.
  • Phone locked up when leaving WiFi. After 4 months and 3 new phones, nailed it to this application.
  • My GS3 has been driving me crazy resetting whenever I turn WiFi off of am out of range of WiFi. It took me a LONG time to isolate the problem to THIS app.
  • On Samsung Galaxy S3 it will lock the phone then reboots when wifi is activated or deactivated. Unistalled the no issues afterwards.
  • Do not install. Freezes/crashes phone (GS3) constantly.
  • It took a long time to figure out why my S3 kept freezing and rebooting. This app was the problem! It caused my phone to lock every time I left a WiFi connection.
  • Had to uninstall from my stock ATT SGS3 due to random reboots, lockups and even a boot loop when going from WiFi to LTE. I factory reset 3x because of this app. I did not suspect it until someone mentioned it on XDA. Once I uninstalled this app, my phone was perfect.
  • When installed on Galaxy SIII, causes phone to lock and reboot when going from Wi-Fi environment to 4G or vice versa. Took me 3 phones to figure this out. Uninstalled and now phone works as it should.
  • My phone randomly reboots and freezes with this app installed. Galaxy S3 4.1.1
  • Finally identified this app as the one causing my Galaxy 3S to lock up and have to restart every time I left range of the wifi at home.

... there are more reports, but hopefully you get the idea of the problems -- reboots after changes to the network state.

The reports of the reboots tied with network state change go back to January.  It is disappointing that AT&T has not addressed the problem with their application.

The network changes match my scenario of triggering the freezes and reboots..  I miss using the application (Ireally liked reading texts of msgs left on voicemail), but I do not miss the reboots.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.