Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 2, 2013
12:10:44 PM
View profile
Galaxy S3 4.3 - battery drain

Is anyone else experiencing a severe decrease in battery life after getting the 4.3 update? My battery now only lasts about 60% as long as it used to. Also, I am seeing some other annoying things happening. There seems to be initial delays when waking the device up from sleep. I think that is due to how memory is being handle, and a possible bug there. If I have Chome open, turn off the display, then turn it back on, Chrome's page is completely black unless I scroll on it. This seems to be an issue with how memory is being utilized. But, I can live with that. I cannot, however, deal with this horrible battery life of this phone now.

Is anyone else experiencing a severe decrease in battery life after getting the 4.3 update? My battery now only lasts about 60% as long as it used to. Also, I am seeing some other annoying things happening. There seems to be initial delays when waking the device up from sleep. I think that is due to how memory is being handle, and a possible bug there. If I have Chome open, turn off the display, then turn it back on, Chrome's page is completely black unless I scroll on it. This seems to be an issue with how memory is being utilized. But, I can live with that. I cannot, however, deal with this horrible battery life of this phone now.

Galaxy S3 4.3 - battery drain

85 replies
(18) Me too
(18) Me too
View all replies
(85)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 7:41:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You might need to bite the bullet and backup your personal data and do a factory reset.  Its not a sure fix, but random bugs (including faster battery drain) are sometimes caused by pre-existing apps or settings, that may be resolved by doing a reset and setting the phone up again.

You might need to bite the bullet and backup your personal data and do a factory reset.  Its not a sure fix, but random bugs (including faster battery drain) are sometimes caused by pre-existing apps or settings, that may be resolved by doing a reset and setting the phone up again.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Galaxy S3 4.3 - battery drain

2 of 86 (29,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 10:14:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the response. I got on chat with AT&T support yesterday and found out it's a known issue and there is a patch that is being worked on. A co-worker ran into the same problem with his S4 and he got an update today. So, maybe not too much longer. I do think this will be the last carrier branded phone I get though and will go with a Nexus next time.

Thanks for the response. I got on chat with AT&T support yesterday and found out it's a known issue and there is a patch that is being worked on. A co-worker ran into the same problem with his S4 and he got an update today. So, maybe not too much longer. I do think this will be the last carrier branded phone I get though and will go with a Nexus next time.

3 of 86 (29,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 11:24:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem.  My phone will go through 3 batteries per day and that's with little or even no use at all.  Ever since I downloaded and installed the updates 3.1.2 and 4.3, my phone has become a piece of junk.  I charge it overnight and in the morning the battery percentage is 100% charged.  I unplug the charger and immediately the phone says the battery is anywhere between 45 and 53 percent charged.  Really??

Even worse, within a few hours the battery is down to 15% and giving warnings that I need to connect the charger.  It's horrible. I complained to AT&T and because I dropped the phone 6 months ago and got a hairline crack on the glass, the warranty is void.  The crack is so small, you really have to look for it to see it and there was no functional issues after the drop.  My troubles didn't start until I installed the firmware update.  I bought 2 extra batteries and an external charger just to get me through the day even with a charger at work and one in the car, it's all I can do to keep the phone from going dead.

I still have a litte over a year before I'm eligible for an upgrade to my phone, so I'm stuck with this problem for a long time if they don't fix these problems.  I'm surprised I don't hear more complaints.

I have the same problem.  My phone will go through 3 batteries per day and that's with little or even no use at all.  Ever since I downloaded and installed the updates 3.1.2 and 4.3, my phone has become a piece of junk.  I charge it overnight and in the morning the battery percentage is 100% charged.  I unplug the charger and immediately the phone says the battery is anywhere between 45 and 53 percent charged.  Really??

Even worse, within a few hours the battery is down to 15% and giving warnings that I need to connect the charger.  It's horrible. I complained to AT&T and because I dropped the phone 6 months ago and got a hairline crack on the glass, the warranty is void.  The crack is so small, you really have to look for it to see it and there was no functional issues after the drop.  My troubles didn't start until I installed the firmware update.  I bought 2 extra batteries and an external charger just to get me through the day even with a charger at work and one in the car, it's all I can do to keep the phone from going dead.

I still have a litte over a year before I'm eligible for an upgrade to my phone, so I'm stuck with this problem for a long time if they don't fix these problems.  I'm surprised I don't hear more complaints.

4 of 86 (29,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 1:28:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

I installed 4.3 and I too have very poor battery lifespan. Unplug and its 95% within minutes. Gets to 5% in 4 hours.  I just keep it charging when I am able to connect to a charging source.

Supposedly this is a known issue with the 4.3 release and the fix is rolling out to other models (S4 and S3 international version). Hopefully, we get it soon on ATT.

I wont try a factory reset since I dont believe it will fix anything. Its a bug in the software.

Mike

I installed 4.3 and I too have very poor battery lifespan. Unplug and its 95% within minutes. Gets to 5% in 4 hours.  I just keep it charging when I am able to connect to a charging source.

Supposedly this is a known issue with the 4.3 release and the fix is rolling out to other models (S4 and S3 international version). Hopefully, we get it soon on ATT.

I wont try a factory reset since I dont believe it will fix anything. Its a bug in the software.

Mike

5 of 86 (29,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 2:11:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issue, along with a host of other problems (very sluggish/slow response, Wi-Fi instability, etc.).  I wish they'd hurry up and get this fixed.

I have the same issue, along with a host of other problems (very sluggish/slow response, Wi-Fi instability, etc.).  I wish they'd hurry up and get this fixed.

6 of 86 (29,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 8:03:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sadly we are dealing with two of the worst customer service companies in existance. We may get stuck on this so they can try to sell us a new phone. This does prove At&t lies about testing firmware and thatSamsung only cares about forcing product on consumers but not supporting it.  Was a really good phone till Samsung wanted to sell us a smartwatch. As always no time frame or any information.

Sadly we are dealing with two of the worst customer service companies in existance. We may get stuck on this so they can try to sell us a new phone. This does prove At&t lies about testing firmware and thatSamsung only cares about forcing product on consumers but not supporting it.  Was a really good phone till Samsung wanted to sell us a smartwatch. As always no time frame or any information.

7 of 86 (29,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 4:31:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm experiencing  this too... highly drain rate of my battery, especially when the screen is on . . .

I'm experiencing  this too... highly drain rate of my battery, especially when the screen is on . . .

8 of 86 (28,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 6:53:41 AM
(0)
Scholar
Hello At&t
Is anybody listening? Your rep says known issue when is it going to be fixed?
Sincerely
A person who pays a lot of money every month to you
Hello At&t
Is anybody listening? Your rep says known issue when is it going to be fixed?
Sincerely
A person who pays a lot of money every month to you

9 of 86 (28,621 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 3:15:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
When are you going to announce a timeline or provide an update to your customers who are having a problem? Pathetic!
When are you going to announce a timeline or provide an update to your customers who are having a problem? Pathetic!

10 of 86 (28,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 7:30:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Have to love the non-response from ATT. I am also having issues since the update. My battery life blows, my phone is slow as heck now, and many of my apps are erroring out requiring me to remove them and then reinstall them.

Have to love the non-response from ATT. I am also having issues since the update. My battery life blows, my phone is slow as heck now, and many of my apps are erroring out requiring me to remove them and then reinstall them.

11 of 86 (27,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 4:20:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

The AT&T Tech Support person I talked to hadn't heard about the issue until I called, so I guess they aren't all in the loop. Anyway, here's what I did to help with the 4.3 excessive battery drain issue.  First, turn off Smart Stay and Smart Rotation in the Smart screen settings. Next, go in to your Google account settings and disable Sync App Data. You don't need that on all the time. Lastly, turn off your data connection when not using it, just remember your apps need it when in use and for updates. I have done these things and noticed that my battery has impoved substantially. It's close to where it was prior to the update to 4.3. Sucks to have to do all of that, but I believe those features are draining the battery faster under 4.3. Also, I have noticed standby time is excellent now, but the screen being on really affects the drain, more than prior to 4.3. I'm using an extended 4000 mAh battery so I don't have it quite as bad, but I immediately noticed the rapid drain when I first updated. The problem is that this 4.3 firmware is conflicting with the bloatware and the older processors are working harder to balance things out, hence the increased drain. Hopefully, a fix will be on the way soon or AT&T can expect to lose a lot of customers when their contracts are up. 

The AT&T Tech Support person I talked to hadn't heard about the issue until I called, so I guess they aren't all in the loop. Anyway, here's what I did to help with the 4.3 excessive battery drain issue.  First, turn off Smart Stay and Smart Rotation in the Smart screen settings. Next, go in to your Google account settings and disable Sync App Data. You don't need that on all the time. Lastly, turn off your data connection when not using it, just remember your apps need it when in use and for updates. I have done these things and noticed that my battery has impoved substantially. It's close to where it was prior to the update to 4.3. Sucks to have to do all of that, but I believe those features are draining the battery faster under 4.3. Also, I have noticed standby time is excellent now, but the screen being on really affects the drain, more than prior to 4.3. I'm using an extended 4000 mAh battery so I don't have it quite as bad, but I immediately noticed the rapid drain when I first updated. The problem is that this 4.3 firmware is conflicting with the bloatware and the older processors are working harder to balance things out, hence the increased drain. Hopefully, a fix will be on the way soon or AT&T can expect to lose a lot of customers when their contracts are up. 

12 of 86 (27,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2013 2:02:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
so basically disable everything on the phone and the battery last longer. That's not a solution that's a workaround. This is pathetic I will never and I advise everybody else to do this by a an AT&T phone again and a product from Samsung. If you want Google go directly to Google and buy a Nexus phone. Samsung will never support this phone or any phone since all they want is new suckers.
so basically disable everything on the phone and the battery last longer. That's not a solution that's a workaround. This is pathetic I will never and I advise everybody else to do this by a an AT&T phone again and a product from Samsung. If you want Google go directly to Google and buy a Nexus phone. Samsung will never support this phone or any phone since all they want is new suckers.

13 of 86 (27,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 4:07:41 AM
(0)
Scholar
I agree,  it isn't a solution,  just a workaround, but it will work for now.  I heard that a fix is being worked on.  For the record,  this isn't Samsung's fault.  They stopped the update when they found out about the issues caused.  It was AT&T that pushed the update. 
I agree,  it isn't a solution,  just a workaround, but it will work for now.  I heard that a fix is being worked on.  For the record,  this isn't Samsung's fault.  They stopped the update when they found out about the issues caused.  It was AT&T that pushed the update. 

14 of 86 (27,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 8:06:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

Over a month later, and still no solution in sight from AT&T.

FWIW - a Factory Reset doesn't fix this problem. I believe it's more likely due to the AT&T bloatware that they cram into the phones that are causing this. 

Over a month later, and still no solution in sight from AT&T.

FWIW - a Factory Reset doesn't fix this problem. I believe it's more likely due to the AT&T bloatware that they cram into the phones that are causing this. 

15 of 86 (26,630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 12:44:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have been experiencing the battery drain issue. Whenever it happens, the phone gets very hot. I usually turn off the phone, pull the battery, let the phone cool off, re-insert the battery, clear the cache partition, and then reboot.

The last thing that should ever be done is to perform a factory reset. These devices should receive updates without any or a minimal amount of issues that can be easily resolved.

I had first realized the 4.3 update was flawed when installed apps kept crashing when started. The only means to resolve the issue was to re-install the apps.   

I have been experiencing the battery drain issue. Whenever it happens, the phone gets very hot. I usually turn off the phone, pull the battery, let the phone cool off, re-insert the battery, clear the cache partition, and then reboot.

The last thing that should ever be done is to perform a factory reset. These devices should receive updates without any or a minimal amount of issues that can be easily resolved.

I had first realized the 4.3 update was flawed when installed apps kept crashing when started. The only means to resolve the issue was to re-install the apps.   

16 of 86 (26,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 4:09:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

I think the bloatware is indeed a strong part of the problem. Some are having it worse than others. Only issue I had is battery drain. I had the download bug as well immediately after the update, but cleared my app and download cache and that was fixed. I was informed AT&T is working on a fix, but who on earth knows when it will come. I see why people buy Nexus devices and Google Play versions. I would too if I could afford it. I'll see what happens for a while longer until I lose patience. If I do have to get another deviice because of this, it won't be Samsung. Even though they stopped the update when they were made aware of problems, I believe that their bloatware was causing issues initially, especially overseas. I haven't heard of LG or Motorola having isssues with 4.3 and my Nexus 7 (First Edition) certainly didn't have any issues. The one thing all three have in common is lack of a lot of bloatware. Heck, on the GS4, about 9 of the 16 mb storage is all you have access to because the rest is occupied by bloatware. If the Moto X had a removable battery that would have been my device of choice hands down.

I think the bloatware is indeed a strong part of the problem. Some are having it worse than others. Only issue I had is battery drain. I had the download bug as well immediately after the update, but cleared my app and download cache and that was fixed. I was informed AT&T is working on a fix, but who on earth knows when it will come. I see why people buy Nexus devices and Google Play versions. I would too if I could afford it. I'll see what happens for a while longer until I lose patience. If I do have to get another deviice because of this, it won't be Samsung. Even though they stopped the update when they were made aware of problems, I believe that their bloatware was causing issues initially, especially overseas. I haven't heard of LG or Motorola having isssues with 4.3 and my Nexus 7 (First Edition) certainly didn't have any issues. The one thing all three have in common is lack of a lot of bloatware. Heck, on the GS4, about 9 of the 16 mb storage is all you have access to because the rest is occupied by bloatware. If the Moto X had a removable battery that would have been my device of choice hands down.

17 of 86 (26,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 6:38:59 PM
(0)
Scholar
So amazing how poor att customer support is compared to other carriers, they at least monitor thier forums.
So amazing how poor att customer support is compared to other carriers, they at least monitor thier forums.

18 of 86 (26,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 10:52:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

FINALLY!

AT&T finally acknowledged this problem on chat today. I was told that they are working on an update that will fix the battery drain issue along with other bugs in the 4.3 update. 

I asked for an ETA, and was told it should be by the end of this month to early next month.

Hopefully, they guy wasn't blowing smoke, since Samsung support today told me that they weren't aware of any reported problems with the 4.3 update. 

FINALLY!

AT&T finally acknowledged this problem on chat today. I was told that they are working on an update that will fix the battery drain issue along with other bugs in the 4.3 update. 

I asked for an ETA, and was told it should be by the end of this month to early next month.

Hopefully, they guy wasn't blowing smoke, since Samsung support today told me that they weren't aware of any reported problems with the 4.3 update. 

19 of 86 (26,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 2:22:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

omrebel, I'm glad that you can confirm AT&T working on the issue as well. Hopefully, it will be done sooner rather than later. I think The Samsung person you spoke to was either out of the loop or full of sh&t, because Samsung knew about the problem with 4.3 when it was rolling out the first time and people were having issues so Samsung stopped the update. It was than that individual carriers like AT&T decided to put it out anyway and we see how well that went.  Smiley Happy

omrebel, I'm glad that you can confirm AT&T working on the issue as well. Hopefully, it will be done sooner rather than later. I think The Samsung person you spoke to was either out of the loop or full of sh&t, because Samsung knew about the problem with 4.3 when it was rolling out the first time and people were having issues so Samsung stopped the update. It was than that individual carriers like AT&T decided to put it out anyway and we see how well that went.  Smiley Happy

20 of 86 (26,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 2:25:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is it only happen after upgrade to 4.3?

Is it only happen after upgrade to 4.3?

21 of 86 (26,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 4:41:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
I believe so. There are some having other problems as well with this firmware.
I believe so. There are some having other problems as well with this firmware.

22 of 86 (26,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 3:54:40 PM
(0)
Scholar
Let us hold our breath on the fix...rumor is 4.4 end of January. T-Mobile Nexus soon.
Let us hold our breath on the fix...rumor is 4.4 end of January. T-Mobile Nexus soon.

23 of 86 (25,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 6:33:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

I too have this problem with the battery not charging.  I also have problems with my apps now, my phone runs slow as a turtle, my screen goes blank and I have to take the battery out of it, and sometimes it just freezes.  My phone is a piece of junk!!!!  Wish I could uninstall the 4.3 and go back to the previous version!!!

I too have this problem with the battery not charging.  I also have problems with my apps now, my phone runs slow as a turtle, my screen goes blank and I have to take the battery out of it, and sometimes it just freezes.  My phone is a piece of junk!!!!  Wish I could uninstall the 4.3 and go back to the previous version!!!

24 of 86 (24,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 7:11:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

OK, I'm tired of this buggy 4.3 update. Used my Christmas and birthday money to get a Moto G from Motorola to hold me over. I will hopefully have it soon. Whenever a fix for the battery drain issues or the update to 4.4 comes out, I will switch back to the S3. The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth. 

OK, I'm tired of this buggy 4.3 update. Used my Christmas and birthday money to get a Moto G from Motorola to hold me over. I will hopefully have it soon. Whenever a fix for the battery drain issues or the update to 4.4 comes out, I will switch back to the S3. The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth. 

25 of 86 (24,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 12:41:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

It is rumored that 4.4 is coming out by the end of March so, to me, it doesn't make sense for At&t to push a fix so close to the new update.

It is rumored that 4.4 is coming out by the end of March so, to me, it doesn't make sense for At&t to push a fix so close to the new update.

26 of 86 (23,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 7:46:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

I remember reading that in various sources I have so it will probably happen. Got my Moto G and it has been wonderful so I may not switch back to my S3 right away. The battery on the Moto G is smaller but lasts at least twice as long as the S3 after 4.3 messed it up. I loved my S3 before the update,  but now I'm saying "Hello Moto" .

I remember reading that in various sources I have so it will probably happen. Got my Moto G and it has been wonderful so I may not switch back to my S3 right away. The battery on the Moto G is smaller but lasts at least twice as long as the S3 after 4.3 messed it up. I loved my S3 before the update,  but now I'm saying "Hello Moto" .

27 of 86 (23,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 11:18:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem. It is awful. I got pushed the update. Told it to postpone, and then it started downloading anyway. Now the battery drains so fast. I have barely used the phone at all and it is below 50% at 2 PM. It used to be 8 or even 10 pm with heavy useage before this would happen prior to the update. I've checked online and this is not a carrier-specific issue, but it seems to be a pervasive problem. Someone needs to force Samsung to fix this ASAP. The phone is now almost useless since it drains so fast. I need to be tethered to a charger if I want to do anything. I'm ready to ditch it if they don't do something soon. 

I am having the same problem. It is awful. I got pushed the update. Told it to postpone, and then it started downloading anyway. Now the battery drains so fast. I have barely used the phone at all and it is below 50% at 2 PM. It used to be 8 or even 10 pm with heavy useage before this would happen prior to the update. I've checked online and this is not a carrier-specific issue, but it seems to be a pervasive problem. Someone needs to force Samsung to fix this ASAP. The phone is now almost useless since it drains so fast. I need to be tethered to a charger if I want to do anything. I'm ready to ditch it if they don't do something soon. 

28 of 86 (23,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 6:12:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
I feel for anyone having these issues. It was a great device until the update. I definitely believe all the bloatware and the added features are pulling more juice. My nearly stock Moto G didn't have any issues with 4.3 and is running just fine on 4.4. Hopefully the 4.4 update will come and fix the draining problem. Samsung and AT&T need to make this right by us. Having said that, my friend updated his S3 on Sprint and is facing the same battery drain issue, only not as bad. Makes me think it is mostly Samsung gimmicky features that might be the biggest problem. I did notice a difference in my battery life when I disabled all their features, which I should not have to do.
I feel for anyone having these issues. It was a great device until the update. I definitely believe all the bloatware and the added features are pulling more juice. My nearly stock Moto G didn't have any issues with 4.3 and is running just fine on 4.4. Hopefully the 4.4 update will come and fix the draining problem. Samsung and AT&T need to make this right by us. Having said that, my friend updated his S3 on Sprint and is facing the same battery drain issue, only not as bad. Makes me think it is mostly Samsung gimmicky features that might be the biggest problem. I did notice a difference in my battery life when I disabled all their features, which I should not have to do.

29 of 86 (23,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 8:38:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

No updates yet. 

No updates yet. 

30 of 86 (23,267 Views)