The Samsung Galaxy S24
omrebel's profile

Scholar

• 

206 Messages

Monday, December 2nd, 2013 8:10 PM

Galaxy S3 4.3 - battery drain

Is anyone else experiencing a severe decrease in battery life after getting the 4.3 update? My battery now only lasts about 60% as long as it used to. Also, I am seeing some other annoying things happening. There seems to be initial delays when waking the device up from sleep. I think that is due to how memory is being handle, and a possible bug there. If I have Chome open, turn off the display, then turn it back on, Chrome's page is completely black unless I scroll on it. This seems to be an issue with how memory is being utilized. But, I can live with that. I cannot, however, deal with this horrible battery life of this phone now.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

You might need to bite the bullet and backup your personal data and do a factory reset.  Its not a sure fix, but random bugs (including faster battery drain) are sometimes caused by pre-existing apps or settings, that may be resolved by doing a reset and setting the phone up again.

Scholar

• 

206 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the response. I got on chat with AT&T support yesterday and found out it's a known issue and there is a patch that is being worked on. A co-worker ran into the same problem with his S4 and he got an update today. So, maybe not too much longer. I do think this will be the last carrier branded phone I get though and will go with a Nexus next time.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same problem.  My phone will go through 3 batteries per day and that's with little or even no use at all.  Ever since I downloaded and installed the updates 3.1.2 and 4.3, my phone has become a piece of junk.  I charge it overnight and in the morning the battery percentage is 100% charged.  I unplug the charger and immediately the phone says the battery is anywhere between 45 and 53 percent charged.  Really??

Even worse, within a few hours the battery is down to 15% and giving warnings that I need to connect the charger.  It's horrible. I complained to AT&T and because I dropped the phone 6 months ago and got a hairline crack on the glass, the warranty is void.  The crack is so small, you really have to look for it to see it and there was no functional issues after the drop.  My troubles didn't start until I installed the firmware update.  I bought 2 extra batteries and an external charger just to get me through the day even with a charger at work and one in the car, it's all I can do to keep the phone from going dead.

I still have a litte over a year before I'm eligible for an upgrade to my phone, so I'm stuck with this problem for a long time if they don't fix these problems.  I'm surprised I don't hear more complaints.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

10 years ago

I installed 4.3 and I too have very poor battery lifespan. Unplug and its 95% within minutes. Gets to 5% in 4 hours.  I just keep it charging when I am able to connect to a charging source.

Supposedly this is a known issue with the 4.3 release and the fix is rolling out to other models (S4 and S3 international version). Hopefully, we get it soon on ATT.

I wont try a factory reset since I dont believe it will fix anything. Its a bug in the software.

Mike

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same issue, along with a host of other problems (very sluggish/slow response, Wi-Fi instability, etc.).  I wish they'd hurry up and get this fixed.

Scholar

• 

70 Messages

10 years ago

Sadly we are dealing with two of the worst customer service companies in existance. We may get stuck on this so they can try to sell us a new phone. This does prove At&t lies about testing firmware and thatSamsung only cares about forcing product on consumers but not supporting it.  Was a really good phone till Samsung wanted to sell us a smartwatch. As always no time frame or any information.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I'm experiencing  this too... highly drain rate of my battery, especially when the screen is on . . .

Scholar

• 

70 Messages

10 years ago

Hello At&t
Is anybody listening? Your rep says known issue when is it going to be fixed?
Sincerely
A person who pays a lot of money every month to you

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

When are you going to announce a timeline or provide an update to your customers who are having a problem? Pathetic!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Have to love the non-response from ATT. I am also having issues since the update. My battery life blows, my phone is slow as heck now, and many of my apps are erroring out requiring me to remove them and then reinstall them.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.