The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I updated today (bored while waiting for flight), not even knowing what the update was for. I was experiencing SoD once or twice a day. I simply assumed the power button was getting pressed for an extended period (in pocket) and shutting down as a protective measure.

I hope this fixes this issue!

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Well, in nearly two weeks, not a single SOD! At this point, for me, the issue is resolved and am I pleased.  Though I still have my issues with Samsung and AT&T in how this was all handled.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

do you need a sim card to upgrade on Kies?   I can connect but no firmware update will open.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, you need a SIM card to upgrade, but I would NOT recommend using Kies. I used the SIM from my Galaxy S3 and did it OTA through my data plan (not WiFi).

Kies saw my phone, but never connected. I spent 8 hours trying do it through Kies, then I just deleted the whole program after 4 installs and uninstalls. To my surprise, after I had wiped Kies off my computer, when I rebooted, there was an executable program, MAsetupcleaner.exe, asking permission to make changes to my computer. Turns out it's a rogue anti-spyware program. It was deposited by Kies and you have to manually uninstall it. I blocked it in my registry, then I used CCleaner to get rid of it, then I changed my registry back to what is was.

Besides being a horrible program, Kies deposits malware onto your computer. Stay far away!

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

While the ACLU might be just trying to make noise with this one, their arguing that safety is compromised because companies like AT&T are so slow at getting updates out is spot on:

http://www.dailytech.com/ACLU+Complaint+Claims+Slow+Android+Updates+are+Endangering+People/article30400.htm

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

SIM cards are not needed for Kies, Kies is can be so inconsistent that it will drive you mad but depositing malware is a complete LOAD.

Kies is not recognizing your firmware due to a fowl up on Samsung's end, anyone's guess on if that will be resolved.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Same issue with my s2 it is really big problem.

I had to take the flight in morning and put alarm for 4.30 am . The phone turned off in night i checked full battery was dere at 10.30 pm and i missed the flight.i took a lesson that better use an alarm clock and dint be dependent on phonefor alarm.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Thought I'd post an update on my battery life post-fix.  I have easily been able to get 3 days on a charge now.

BUT... here's why... I don't charge the phone, I swap batteries and put the used one in a wall-charger.

I did some experiments and charging the phone gave me approx. ONE day of use.  Use my spare battery swap routine and I have gotten as much as FIVE days.  Granted, they were really light use days... but still.

So, charging the phone is an occasional necessity.  But, when ever I can and most of the time, I do the swap and it is GREAT!

Scholar

• 

184 Messages

8 years ago

I had that problem and used a customer laucher for the nest boot

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.