The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Explorer

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I wonder if you can mess around with a clock on your phone and get the update to take?

Try rolling the date on your phone to tomorrow, so that it would be 24 hours since your last update.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

@maxud wrote:

I wonder if you can mess around with a clock on your phone and get the update to take?

Try rolling the date on your phone to tomorrow, so that it would be 24 hours since your last update.

Brilliant idea, maxud!  I had not considered that the 24 hour limitation was imposed by my phone, rather than the AT&T network!  I unchecked the box to sync time automatically, then moved the date forward by 1 day.  The patch installed pretty quickly.

Android version 4.0.4

Basband version I777UCLL6

Kernel version 3.0.15-CL1174199se.infra@SEP-62 #3 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 5 20:41:16 KST 2013

Build number IMM76D.CLL6

Next I guess I just wait and see how this build runs.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Someone had the brilliant idea to buy a micro SIM adapter to use interchangeably between my GS2 (standard SIM) and GS3 (Micro SIM). I know I can get cheap ones, but they're not made well and can easily catch on the pins and bend them. I want a good one where the SIM *snaps* into place and it is flush all around. Germany makes one that is sold on the UK Amazon, but to buy it and have it shipped here is crazy expensive.

Anybody know where to purchase a micro SIM adapter for the GS3/2? There are many for iPhones, but few for Galaxy or other Android phones. It's mainly to get my 4.0.4 update on my GS2.

Explorer

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Linda Jo,

Ask around your work/neighborhood if somebody has an older ATT phone. Ask them to borrow their sim card for a few minutes and just perform the update that way.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

OK - It's been over ten days now, and no SOD incidents on our two SG2 phones.  From my perspective, I'm declaring this issue fixed.  It's too bad that ATT took over three months to get this corrected, but at least they paid most of my wireless bill for the three months that we couldn't rely on ATT's service.

Carl

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Linda Jo,

I just noticed that the update is now available through the Keis software.  Samsung finally posted it.

You don't need a SIM to use Kies to install.  Should be all set.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Good Stuff:

It's been 13 days since the OAT update (and the update is also now on Kies).

Battery life is WAY better than it has ever been.

No SoD episodes in this time.  But... always a but... I had two periods of 17 and 19 days without SoD during this debacle.  So, still holding my breath.

That being said, I think ATT finally pulled out whatever bug they introduced to the 4.x firmware.  I "think" this is "fixed".

Bad Stuff:

ATT treating us all like fools and a "hassle" for something THEY did to our phones.

ATT ignoring the problem while clearly knowing it existed and working on a fix.

ATT even hid the SoD fix with "marketing speak" about "security updates".  So still in denial even as they roll out the fix.

Final Score:

User/Owner community WINNERS!!

ATT the Biggest LOOSER!!

This will not be forgotten by thousands of ATT customers for years to come.  I know I'll think twice about using ATT for anything.  And, you can be sure my next phone will be an unlocked international version and certainly NOT an ATT phone even if I stay on their service.

A sad episode  😞

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

The other big issue... why haven't AT&T S2 owners gotten the Jelly Bean update? They just don't like us apparently.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Maavalous, thanks for that information, but I stay away from Kies! I have no interest in downloading that huge dabaucle of a program on to my new computer. I have it hidden on my phone too. I actually just ordered a micro SIM adapter (actually they come as 4) and they'll be here by Tuesday. Hopefully they are of high enough quality (for the $1.85 I paid) for me to use regularly switch my phones as I choose.

I'll report back after I've received it and done the update.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Before this latest update I was getting SOD maybe once a week, more often during heavy multi tasking on the phone? Battery life was pretty good. After the update, no SOD yet in two weeks. However I have had two or three times when the phone would freeze up while using it and it would restart itself pretty soon after doing so. Before the update it would take a long time to restart in those conditions, if at all. Battery life seems unchanged.

My theory on SOD is that something changed in how misbehaving apps are controlled. When I first had the gs2 with gingerbread, I would always get error messages about misbehaving apps being forced to close and asking if I wanted to send an error report. That would happen very often, almost daily. With Android 4 those error messages almost never appear. Instead the phone just freezes up. I don't know if this change is from Android, Samsung or AT&T, but I'm soured on all three now. After my contract expires I'll be looking at my alternatives.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.