Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Contributor

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Message 1 of 620 (56,325 Views)

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Since the OTA update on 3/29, no SoD.Smiley Happy  Battery life on my phone seems to be about the same, and I haven't noticed any new issues.  So far so good!

Message 571 of 620 (4,155 Views)
Mentor

Samblackjack, that's an idea worth looking into. Thanks.

Message 572 of 620 (4,065 Views)
Explorer

Linda Jo, I went by my ATT store just minutes ago. They told me they dont have any sims to use. And if I bought one it would cost me about 30 $ 15 $ for new sim for gs2 they would have to activate it..and unactivate the gs3....THEN 15 $ for a new sim for gs3 to reactivate it........I will call customer service and see what they say!
Message 573 of 620 (3,983 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Tidegurl wrote:
Linda Jo, I went by my ATT store just minutes ago. They told me they dont have any sims to use. And if I bought one it would cost me about 30 $ 15 $ for new sim for gs2 they would have to activate it..and unactivate the gs3....THEN 15 $ for a new sim for gs3 to reactivate it........I will call customer service and see what they say!

Thanks Wanda......I like that you're doing the leg work for me :-) See if they'll tell you how we can do it without a SIM card. Let me know what you find out.

Message 574 of 620 (3,956 Views)
Voyager

Hi Everyone,

I hope I'm the only one, but a few days after the update I am still getting sleep of death!  Happened twice in a row yesterday.  But now there's another NEW bug!  Randomly, while on a live call, the phone perform a soft reset.

I've waited months for this update and it's not working for me.  Am I the only one?

AT&T offered be a pathetic $15 credit to compensate, and gave me the option to recieve an "early upgrade" as long as I sign another two year contract.  Neither of those options seem sufficent enough to me.

Let me know if you are still haveing SOD after latest update.

Cheers,

Joe

Message 575 of 620 (3,939 Views)
Mentor

Wow... sorry to see an SoD pop up again  Smiley Sad

I have 70 hours without an SoD and my battery use has gone from fair to excellent.  The battery chart now looks like a nice gentle hill as opposed to Mt. Everest before.

Still having weirdness with the text message icon... says there's a new message for hours after it should.

Other than that, no negatives to report at this time... well, other than ATT support and complete failure to properly address this issue 9 months ago  Smiley Sad

Just FYI on my setup... I left all the apps I had disabled as before (especially ATT junk).  I put in a fresh battery and did a cold restart after the update settled in.  Frankly, I don't think I've every gotten to 70 hours on a charge before and my battery is currently at 55%.  Granted, it was a holiday weekend and I only had a dozen or so calls and texts plus very mild internet usage. Still... I'm impressed so far.

Too early to call it "fixed" though... especially with ATT involved  Smiley Sad

Message 576 of 620 (3,934 Views)
Voyager

Soooo over this - just had SOD twice in the last 20 minutes.  Come October it's onto Verizon for me.  Can't believe I'm forced to wait six months, unbeliveable!

Message 577 of 620 (3,915 Views)
Voyager

on phone with AT&T now, trying to get out of my contract... we'll see what happens... feel like I'm in bed with the mafia!
Message 578 of 620 (3,903 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

[ Edited ]

No SODs but I do have a new problem. My phone and Google play settings are set to only update apps when connected to wifi. When jogging this morning all the att apps updated over data. I double checked my phone and Google play store settings and they both were set to update over wifi only.

So now I have used 25% of my monthly data on the 1st day of the month. Yes I have disabled the crappy att apps but I should not have to I should be able to delete them.

Message 579 of 620 (3,873 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Message 580 of 620 (3,871 Views)
Mentor

Galaxy S2 4.0.4 (version2) update

[ Edited ]

FYI, I am going to start a new thread for comments and issues regarding the new update.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Galaxy-SII-4-0-4-Version-2-Comments-question...

Message 581 of 620 (3,686 Views)
Explorer

Re: Galaxy S2 4.0.4 (version2) update

Will there be a link too it?

Message 582 of 620 (3,684 Views)
Teacher

Took my phone to At&T to reflash 4.0.4 because I had nothing else to lose and my phone crashed 3 of their computers. This last update did dada to me. If my phone is not on a charger it will just die within 15 minutes of 100% battery
Message 583 of 620 (3,484 Views)
Teacher

Oh btw. It is crashing at 80% battery now
Message 584 of 620 (3,483 Views)
Mentor

OK... Thought I should post an update because this is just amazing!

I have made it 119 hours since last charge/battery change and still have 9% battery left.

First and foremost, NO kudos to ATT or Samsung.  Shame on them for not fixing this immediately.

It took the determination and exasperation of thousands of customers, many now lost to ATT, to get a response.

To recap my “conditions”:

Usage in this period was lower than “normal”.  The holiday reduced work-related calls to near zero.

A couple of long phone conversations, a half dozen in the 5-10 min. range.

A dozen or so texts with photos etc.

Light web surfing, weather and e-mail checking.  Close to “normal for me”.

Low app usage… Accuweather, some googling around.  Nothing heavy at all.

Mostly 4G with half hour max of WiFi use.

I have updated my phone as they came out and the SoD “fix” was the latest.

I have a wall-charger and extra batteries so I usually swap batteries rather than charge the phone.  Unless traveling then just depends.

So, phone usually gets a hard reset when battery bottoms out.

Apps/Functions Disabled:

I have the Developer Options; Do Not Keep Activities set ON

Only turn on when using, but used both for a short while during this period:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

Talk (the Vingo thing)

So, there you have it… progress FINALLY!  I feel exonerated and relieved. 

Exonerated, as we all should, that we managed to get ATT to do the right thing.

Relieved that I have had NO SoD in the last 119 hours.  The phone actually works!

Well, so far so good… but others are still having issues that need to be monitored.

Trust is something ATT did their best to lose.  We shall see what happens in the weeks ahead.

Message 585 of 620 (3,272 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.