The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Has anyone tried to get the update on their "old" GS2 after they've received a refurb or new phone? I would like to "fix" my GS2 (even though I have a new phone), but it only has WiFi (no phone or data plan) and it says my software is up-to-date.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

@Linda Jo, Maybe switching SIM card?

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

@ian_socool wrote:

I got the update today. Helped not one bit. I had the screen of death, the big no signal at 30% battery, shut down and reboot it was 1% battery. I am so done with AT&T and Samsung. If I cannot find a simpletons version of rerooting to 4.0.3, I am going to take this S2 to At&T and break my 15 year relationship for a Boost Mobile phone or something.

Make sure that you have the most recent update.  I received a refurbished S2 which had 4.0.3 on it.  When I first went to install the update I literally got a SOD within a couple of hours.  I checked which version it updated to and it was the release from the end of 11/2012.  

I then went back into phone Settings>About Phone>Software Updates.  This time it was ready to install the 03/2013 update.

So basically if you were running 4.0.3 you will probably have to install 2 updates, back to back.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Installed the Update 2 days ago and no SODs since then.  I have had some very bad battery behavior though.  Battery generally seems to run down fast, and last night it was draining while it was plugged in and charging and the phone was very warm.  Where is my Jelly Bean!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

The update fixed the SOD issue, however now I'm having other issues. The primary one is that my email (add well as some other apps) don't sync in the background anymore. If i manually sync my email, i will sometimes get a message saying there is no data connection, even though I'm on wifi. The strange thing though is that i walked into range of another wifi hotspot and my phone immediately lit up with various alerts from different apps and synced my email. I know it's not or wifi, because it was working fine prior to the update, and still works fine, except for background syncing.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

To clarify, when i manually sync it gives me an error, but then proceeds to sync, so there is a connection.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Sim card switch is a good idea in theory, but new sim for GS3 is a micro sim and does not fit the GS2.

Has anyone else tried to update their GS2 without a service plan (with WiFi)?

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Seems like maybe your only option is to borrow someone else's regular SIM just to get the update. You might be able to go to an AT&T store, explain your situation, and see if they'd let you borrow their SIM for a few minutes.  You should be able to use their WIFI to update as well.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Since the OTA update on 3/29, no SoD.Smiley Happy  Battery life on my phone seems to be about the same, and I haven't noticed any new issues.  So far so good!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.