The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@samblackjack wrote:

This SoD issue on the Samsung Galaxy SII was introduced with the Android 4.0.4 update that was released by AT&T and Samsung in December 2012.  An AT&T rep confirmed this issue in this forum in January 2013, and the fix was pushed out today, March 29th.  This issue is definitely a bad one for those affected, including myself, but I think AT&T and Samsung's response has been pretty good when you really think about what's involved here.

Err... No.

I have a custom ROM (JB 4.1.2) running on my i777 that is maintained by a teenager in his spare time between attending classes and doing his homework. And this ROM is running flawlessly. I was forced to root my phone and install this ROM on it because AT&T did not feel the need to develop the capability to perform required testing and acceptance work for the software update going out to thousands (or hundreds of thousands, who knows) of their customers BEFORE actually deploying it, thereby wasting the time of those thousands of clients and causing them all kinds of unnecessary problems. Just read this thread. Pretty good??

[Please keep it courteous]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Today moning I receiced att update message. so,

I just completed the OTA update.  I then thought I would check with KIES, and got the message that this firmware is not supported by KIES for updating.   What happened to this?    "Come on att"

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Performed the update this morning, then rebooted and cleared cache partition. No issues yet.....

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I'm also curious about the firmware not being supported by Kies

Hopefully someone from ATT will comment on that

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@Varo wrote:

I'm also curious about the firmware not being supported by Kies

Hopefully someone from ATT will comment on that

I'm sure they are aware of the problem and will have a solution "within a few weeks".

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Follow up on message indicator.

Rebooting the phone did finally clear the false new message on the home screen icon.

The lock screen indicator cleared right away when this weirdness happened.

A few texts later... the indicator is unpredictable on the home screen icon but consistent on the lock screen.  I've had no indicator on the home screen on a couple of texts.  But the lock screen indicator and sound work as they should on every text.

Oh well... small thing.  Annoying, but small compared to an SoD.

No SoD in last 24 hr. and battery use (been watching that a LOT over the months) has become less eradic... a more consistent slope on the chart and seems a bit lower drain.  That's a good sign.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

Only thing I've noticed thus far is that it took about 4 hours to charge.  I had around 19% battery left when I went to charge.  Normal charge used to take 2 hours.  Hopefully the charging this time was somehow related to the update, and won't take as long on future charges.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I got the update today. Helped not one bit. I had the screen of death, the big no signal at 30% battery, shut down and reboot it was 1% battery. I am so done with AT&T and Samsung. If I cannot find a simpletons version of rerooting to 4.0.3, I am going to take this S2 to At&T and break my 15 year relationship for a Boost Mobile phone or something.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Tried a factory reboot, and the updates are stuck in there and the power drop is still crazy.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

I've had the update for a couple days and no SOD's. Battery life seems slightly better too.

So far, so good for me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.