Ask a question

Posted Jul 6, 2012
    12:21:36 PM
    View profile
    Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
    (0)
    Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    618 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (618)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2013 8:56:12 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Filed a complaint with BBB last week. Received an email today from Office of the President saying someone will contact me to resolve this issue or I can call them directly. I was given a case number and phone number.

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

481 of 619 (2,105 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2013 10:31:18 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I installed Cyanogenmod 9.1 and everything works and no more SOD!  

482 of 619 (2,073 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2013 3:42:26 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Received a call from AT&T today. After some discussion I was offered an S3 for $199 with no upgrade fee and do not have to renew my contract. He was not aware of this issue and I wouldn't expect a fix for this problem. Everyone I have talked to at AT&T say they are not aware of the problem with the phone.

483 of 619 (1,998 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2013 3:49:07 PM
    (0)
    Explorer
    @nucci dont take that deal! Keep calling back and get the GS3 for free. Others before you made it happen.

484 of 619 (1,995 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2013 4:13:31 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by Maavalous on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:14:12 PM

I second that emotion.  Do NOT take that deal.

You can get a refurbished (all the ones they are offering are) S3 and no contract or other charges.  Just FYI... they have so many refurbished S3 that they are even having a "sale" on them... sigh  Smiley Sad   Do not expect the SOD to go away with ATT... it is NOT a Samsung problem per se, it's something ATT does to the phone. 

Get to the Specialty Department which is what ATT calls Customer Retention.  Threaten them with T-Mobile... they hate that  Smiley Happy   They have a LOT more sway.

ATT in the rear view mirror...

[ Edited ]
    485 of 619 (1,980 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2013 5:07:26 PM
    (0)
    Explorer
    Hmmm no not all is refurbishedd.. only if you settle for a refurbished will it be refurbished.

486 of 619 (1,960 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2013 4:23:05 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

The SOD is not limited to AT&T. Do a google search and you will find it occuring on nearly all carriers in different countries. It started with the first Gingerbread to ICS upgrade and was made much worse by the 4.04 update. Apparently some Galaxy S2 phones didn't have an issue until the 4.04 update, but I have been fighting it since upgrading to ICS last year. My phone is pretty old, as I got it right after it came out on AT&T. I contacted AT&T tech support about it last September after finding several forum threads about the issue. They, of course, had never heard of the problem and suggested reloading the upgrade from Kies or turning it in under warranty, as I had a couple of weeks left. I reloaded the upgrade, and the issue went from occurring every day to every few weeks...long enough for the warranty to run out. After the 4.04 update, it went back to averaging every day. Sometimes it would go a week without issue then it might occur several times in one day. I had some hope when one of the board moderators said that Samsung and AT&T were aware of the issue and were working on a solution. That was some months ago, and yesterday I got fed up, rooted my phone, and installed Shostock3. It seems to be running fine now on Android 4.1.2. The process is much less painful than dealing with clueless AT&T tech support.

487 of 619 (1,873 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2013 4:32:04 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Thanks. I'm not taking it. Thinking of my options and may call back or just wait for Nexus 5.

488 of 619 (1,869 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2013 5:34:54 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

Yes... I second that... about when this problem started. I had the SOD during the GB days. Upgraded to ICS - still had it. The only time it seems I didn't have it was while I was at 4.0.3. All other times, before and after, I was battling it with factory resets and new phones.

489 of 619 (1,856 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2013 2:27:59 PM
    (0)
    Explorer

I filed a complaint with the BBB and after 23 days of back and forth between myself, AT&T, and Samsung...absolutely nothing was resolved. I spoke with a representative (Stephanie) from AT&T several times, who focused entirely on shifting the blame off of AT&T. The first time I spoke with her she told me this was a known issue and that it is a "Manufacturer's defect" and that Samsung will replace the faulty device. I proceeded to contact Samsung, only to find out that it is not a "known issue" and that the only thing they could offer me was to set up a repair session, where I send my phone to them, and then pay the bill for the repairs when the send the phone back. Obviously unacceptable.

So, I tried contacting Stephanie again, but she did not respond until I had filed a follow up report with the BBB. The next time I talked to her she stressed that it was Google who was at fault because they provide the software. After telling her that this was an issue that seemed to hit the AT&T S2 particularly hard (I have seen some post from other carriers, but nowhere near the 17 pages on the AT&T forums) and that because I am an AT&T customer (not a Google customer), she informed me that it was my "choice" to update to 4.0.4, and that made ME liable for the damage. While I understand this for apps I choose to download, or if I were rooting, it is completely ridiculous to claim that I am liable for an OTA ICS update. Additionally, if you try to ignore the update, it automatically installs itself the third time (assuming you allowed it to download). After explaining that to her, she offered me a replacement phone based on availability and that she would call me back.

When she called back, she informed me she had no replacement phones and that her final offer would be to contact Samsung on my behalf. She did so and then called me back to explain to me that I had already talked to Samsung (which I had already told her!) and that my only option would be to send it for the repair. I tried one last time to convince her that responsibility MUST lie with AT&T since I pay them every month for phone service, but she told me AT&T takes no responsbility and that she would not be providing me with any more customer service. I asked to be released from my contract then, and she informed me that that was not an option.

All I wanted was an AT&T approved method for 4.0.3 rollback, a timetable for when an update would be available to fix this problem on 4.0.4, or a replacement phone which did not experience SODs. 

Where did this 4.0.4 update come from? As far as I can tell it must have appeared spontaneously since nobody seems to feel any responsibility for it and clearly nobody tested it. I am not excited to root my phone but I am quickly running out of option since I still have 9 months on my contract :/

490 of 619 (1,761 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2013 5:12:22 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Prisoner,

Unfortunately you were right. SOD came back. It is not that bad -once a week, but still anoying. What metod did you use to root your phone and where did you found 4.0.3 ?

491 of 619 (1,726 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2013 7:41:17 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Npl, I also filed a BBB complaint and had the same response as you did. The AT&T representative offerred no solution to me, not even waiving my upgrade fee, and blamed all the faults to Google and Samsung. I also asked him to fix this simply by providing a roll back, which is of course not possible.

The representative said AT&T doesn't modify the OS, they only give specs to Google/Samsung, so it's not their fault. I'm not familiar with how they usually do it, but I think Google and Samsung has nothing to do with this. Since Google only released the original Android 4.0.4 which doesn't have SoD, and Samsung released 4.0.4 update for S II international version which doesn't have SoD neither. Anyone can chime in this part, or point out if I'm wrong?

Since I have no luck through BBB, any suggestion with how I can get this fixed by AT&T? I know I can fix this by rooting, but I don't want to spend time on researching yet, and AT&T sould be responsible for this. We should unite and do something to make this happen!

492 of 619 (1,683 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2013 8:51:48 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

AlienBoy wrote:

We should unite and do something to make this happen!

I agree.

493 of 619 (1,655 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2013 11:12:19 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    When on the phone with these representatives ask to speak with their managers if they don't offer a solution, this worked for me/ my mother, she ended up getting a refurbished s3 at no charge and no upgrade fee. just keep pushing back. if whoever doesn't offer a solution demand to talk with their supervisor/ manager. a lot of base level reps don't have the power to make ANY calls so move your way up the chain of command.

494 of 619 (1,592 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 5:36:41 AM
    (0)
    Explorer

"galaxys2root.com" has everything you need to revert back to 4.03 and root if you like. You need not root to go back to 4.03 but there are benefits if you do.

I recommend everyone post their complaint with the BBB. Only takes a few minutes. I also filed a complaint with the Illinois attorney general who also has an online form.

Best thing you can do other than the above is let as many people as you can know of your "experiences" with AT&T's wonderful customer service regarding the Galaxy phones. I have changed the signature on the emails sent from my phone to add a negative message about AT&T customer non-care. Word of mouth is a powerful thing so don't hesitate to talk people out of AT&T. They truly have offered the most negative, horrific user experience I have ever had with had for $80 a month. An all out, grass roots campaign against AT&T is the best advertising you can give them.

495 of 619 (1,555 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 7:03:59 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

Just curious has anyone posted anything on AT&T or Samsung's Facebook pages?  They may have more people looking at these than this forum.  

Also, if you decide to root, look hard at Shostock3. Its Jelly Bean and his latest update is flawless as far as I can tell. I used the stock 4.0.3 for a while, it was ok, no SOD's but battery life was not as good as Sho3 and nor was the speed.  

496 of 619 (1,525 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 10:28:09 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I'm loving the AOKP Task650 ROM. Excellent.

497 of 619 (1,470 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 10:38:48 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I just had a random AT&T satisfaction survey pop up.  Of course I accepted. Smiley LOL

498 of 619 (1,459 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 10:41:02 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I also filed a complaint with the BBB and got a return call from AT&T (Stephanie). She also fed me the same crap lines Npl got. I keep pushing and was able to get a new GS3 for free. Don't give in and stand your ground. Remember, it's AT&T's fault.

499 of 619 (1,456 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 12:45:53 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Nothing. Is. Ever. AT&T's. Fault. Just keep repeating the mantra. After all, if you hadn't signed that contract, you would not be having these problems! Smiley Wink

Seriously, you'd think somebody here would have an "in" with a tech journalist who might find this story interesting. Just a thought.

500 of 619 (1,408 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 2:51:18 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Well another SOD. And when I turned the phone back on I lost over 20% of the battery. This is ridiculous.

501 of 619 (1,364 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 3:00:48 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    My latest chat session with Samsung support:

Mikayla: I've checked the information and I would like to inform you that the next update for your phone would be Jelly bean 4.1.1. This update is not yet released for your phone as of now. Please keep checking link mentioned below to know anytime if this update is available for your phone:

Mikayla: www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00042833&fm_seq=43430

502 of 619 (1,352 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 3:08:08 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    @tzenko,
    I just went to your link and checked it out. As I was laughing I scrolled to the bottom where it asked, "what did you think". Of course I rated very dissatisfied. Then in the comments explained that there were over 500 posts in this forum with people with the SOD from the 4.0.4 update and to please either roll it back or give us a real update! Everyone should reply to this, maybe Samsung will do something if there are more complaints but I doubt it.

503 of 619 (1,348 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 3:35:29 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

LoL.

I even asked him for Alphe, Beta or prerelease. I was ready to sign for tester. I dont think it would be worst that 404.

BTW this is the first chat support person who gave me information. Before the answer was "try factory reset, is your battery original, clear your cache" .

504 of 619 (1,340 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 3:41:36 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    I just received an email from ATT that said an update will be pushed OTA tomorrow.

505 of 619 (1,337 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 3:59:43 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

An update pushed out tomorrow... right, and the check is in the mail.  From all the experiences I've had... all the way to the "Office of the President"... ATT is going to do NOTHING to help THOUSANDS of customers.  For me, ATT is now like a cheating wife, you'll never believe another word you hear.

Oh, did they say which tomorrow... this year, next... the tomorrow they told people last year???  Smiley Surprised)

FYI, Office of the President is just another name for some phone room where the people are mushrooms and just do what their script says... over and over... no matter what you say. 

GO T-Mobile!!  I'm going there as fast as I can!!

506 of 619 (1,314 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 4:07:04 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Well this is the first time they've said something like "tomorrow". Maybe this means something?

507 of 619 (1,310 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 4:24:50 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I have been following this thread for so long and have not seen anything that completely solves the problem. I have tried disabling AT&T apps, teaking WIFI with specialized apps, uninstalled all possible apps (making my phone practically dumbphone). While doing all those things certainly improved battery life the problem of sleep of death (random shut down) persisted.

This is a serious problem and being frustrated I decided to give flashing a try. The process isn't that complecated, read one page of steps on cyanogenmod and installed the latest CM10.1 and my god, the phone has become at least twice as fast. Battery life is improved, all the apps look more beautiful and work perfectly.

Installing custom ROM on your phone is risky, but with the crap firmware isn't it already horrible enough? So if you can not convince AT&T to give you an S3 this is probably your best bet.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/I777_Info

508 of 619 (1,304 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 4:25:53 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

509 of 619 (1,304 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 28, 2013 4:48:48 PM
    (0)
    Explorer
    So I can stil root/flash my Gs2 even tho its no longer activated with ATT?

What if an OTA is releashed tomorrow, is there a way for me to get it since the GS2 is no longer activated?

is it OK to use my sim card from my GS3 in the GS2?

I havent figured out what I'm gonna do with the GS2, I want it fixed, rooting seems complicated to me...I wish some of you guys were close to me I would sure beg an plead for ya'll to do it for me.

510 of 619 (1,288 Views)