The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I'm tired of waiting for "real soon now" to become "now." I rooted my S2 and installed SuperNexus 2.0 (Android 4.2.2), and it's been running flawlessly. Waiting for AT&T to do the right thing is a fool's game.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

ablan, SOD has been an ongoing problem since ICS came out last year...Never had an issue of any kind before that. I can't even count how many times my phone has been wiped and reset. A google search at the time showed many reports of this issue. All technical support would tell me is wipe your phone and reload ICS. I got 4.03 from Kies...I hoped that it would fix my problems, but no. I got 4.04 over the air, then after the SOD incidents increased and the proximity sensor issue surfaced, I went back and wiped it and reloaded from Kies...Twice.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

dogtired, I agree with ablan on this.  Not denying that you were having SOD issues with 4.03.  But I'm thinking your situation was more of an abnormality.  I did not have SOD issues prior to 4.04.  I received a refurbished S2 around 2/27, running 4.03, and have not had a SOD since then.

You can even clearly see a timeline in this thread.  If you got to the first page there were only a few posts, prior to 4.04, that were having issues.  Since 4.04 there's been 15 pages of issues.

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I had it during the first little bit of the 4.0.3 update, but no where near as much and it went away after a while (not really sure on how)

but since the 4.0.4 update it has happened way too often for me to be happy and continues to do so

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

It finally dawned on me that "the fix" they refer to is their plan to delay until people give up!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I've had the same issues for months. Finally contacted ATT. The service rep stated they know of the issues and they are hopeing for an update from Samsung. The best part was that they were blaming Samsung and that it's not an ATT issue. Anyway, they gave me a credit and sent me another G2. The new phone came with 4.0.4, but it had different things/apps that my previous phone with the update didn't have. So far, it's been a solid week with NO issues (shutting down or no sound on my notifications) . Hope I got lucky.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

Xviper725X, what different things/apps does the new phone have?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

The SOD issue for this phone started after the ICS 4.0.3 update. It rarely happened, but it was definitely there. The 4.0.4 update made it so it happened much more often.

I now have had JB 4.1.2 installed for about 4 months and no SODs at all in that time. So definitely not an issue with my hardware.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Hi Joseph, we received your private message and replied.  We look forward to assisting you.

Thank you.

Phillisa on behalf of Jamileh

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

This has been a helpful, if frustrating thread.  Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions. 

My situation was/is as a Straight Talk customer.  I had bought the phone from a private party and enjoyed it on 4.0.3 for a couple months.  Obviously, the phone was not under warranty.  Then I updated to 4.0.4 in December.  I actually probably would not have upgraded intentionally, but I anticipated one more confirmation screen before the over-the-air download started.  Oh well, I thought.  But within a day, the SODs came.

I was about to commit sepukku over this issue, but decided to give rooting a try.  I would encourage anyone still having SOD problems to give that approach a go.  I was afraid I wouldn't be smart enough to figure out how to do it, but the xda forum folks are extremely helpful, if you want to try there (although I was able to do everything based on instructions posted in the forums).  Not only have I had no SODs for a couple weeks, but the entire phone experience has either remained exactly the same, or improved, sometimes significantly.  Wasn't really expecting that kind of success.

Shostock3 is great, for what it's worth.  Completely stable for 2 weeks running for me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.