The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Hey everyone,

I have an update on my situation dealing with this wonderful SOD feature that's EXCLUSIVE to to our Galaxy S2's (aren't we lucky?). OK but seriously, I managed to get my phone to be semi reliable as it now appears to be on a schedule. The reason I say this is because the last 2 SOD's have happened EXACTLY 2 weeks apart on Saturday, the most recent being today. So, every other Saturday it will SOD and then be completely reliable for the next 2 weeks. What I did to get to this point is disable the extra clock and calendar and any apps that I feel like I don't need. Prior to this it would SOD on average a couple of times a week and would NEVER go an entire week without SODing.  It seems like if I can find one more app to disable then MAYBE, just MAYBE it will be completely reliable.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

Two more SOD's yesterday.  Both right after a series of texts.  I have no idea what the relationship is between the two but I thought I'd mention it.  There were pictures involved in both but the SOD's occurred after my response back utilizing only text.  

I only mention for documentation purposes.  I have long since given up any hope what so ever that AT&T cares.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

And it continues...5 more times in the last 2 and a half days. Once, all the way to 0. Had to pull the battery, leave it out and then charge it for awhile before it would even power up.

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

Rooted my phone and reverted back to 4.03 on March 10, and no SOD's or funkiness whatsoever. Took about an hour and only problem was that Kies did not back up my files prior to rooting. Good thing I did have a successful backup a month earlier so I only lost a few contacts/log entries.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Interesting they don't even mention the At&t I777 model.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

@prisoner6, since you are rooted make sure you get Titanium Backup. It will pretty much back everything up & your settings so you never lose them. I also make sure my contacts are linked with my gmail so they are always there. I'm loving 4.1.2 with Shostock2.5.9. Yesterday I had over 14 hours of moderate use & still had 35% battery life. Everything runs so much faster too.

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

@ablan59

That was the first thing I installed...Titanium backup and backed up everything. Not in a hurry to move past 4.03... I am going to bask in the fact that I can use my phone without worrying about SODS. No thanks to AT&T.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I did the same thing. Only issue I had with 4.0.3 was sometimes my text message alert sound would not go off. Other than that everything worked pretty well. Best of all, no SOD's!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I'm new to the forum but not new to the problem of my GSII shutting off several times a day. I spoke to AT and T today and they suggest I back everything up and do a factory reset. I am past warranty but I pay a sizable wireless bill each month. I'm not technically oriented to the extent of some of the readers/ contributors on this forum; I did try what one gentleman suggested of disabling the extra clock and calendar that I found and that seemed to help slightly. I'm kind of fed up with this lack of activity and when I see 15 pages of folks posting with this same problem.The tech. I spoke to at AT and T was trying to be extremely helpful and when I advised him of the seeming magnitude of the problem he was unaware; he did not have access to the forum- Something's not connected here.

I just want my phone to work when I THINK I have it turned on.

Thanks for allowing my rant.

Regards,

Mike

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.