The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Thats what I figured. Everyone still hearing crickets. They want everyone to re-up and buy the next big thing, the S4 which comes out in a few days. Of course, if you spend countless hours writing, calling, contacting the BBB & Atty general, you might get a free phone. I ended up spending a few hours & fixed mine myself. I just hate all the run around everyone has gotten that don't have the technical ability.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately I can't fix mine by flashing a custom ROM, because my company's security system on Android checks for officially released firmware from the carriers and that the phone is not rooted.
What really stinks in addition to not having a reliable phone is that no one has even provided a diagnostic utility that we could all use to pin down the causes.

All smoke and mirrows. No tracking of how many people have the issue and who they are, complete unawareness of call center technical support on the problem, lack of urgency or interest in troubleshooting the problem properly. Maybe this is just my perception and other customers are actively involved in troubleshooting, but at this point I'm guessing we won't see any proper resolution to this.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

You are NOT alone. We are legion. The corporate silence is deafening. If you happen to be free on the launch date of the S4, consider stopping by the store to let perspective buyers know how well you've been "handled" by AT&T!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

BMG you are correct we are a legion of loyal users of att products, however att has been keeping this issue pretty well hidden. If it was not for this thread here I would have thought it was an issue on just my phone. and after calling tech support last night and an agent decided to call Samsung and ask about this issue i realize this may not get fixed for many more months. and why is that because as of the 14th the galaxy S IV comes out and and the galaxy S II becomes outdated in the eyes of att and Samsung so do you think there going to put a ton of effort in to fixing outdated equipment, nope they'll fix it with a small crew of programmers and probably by September we'll have a fix.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

I swore I was not posting here again as AT&T has made it very plain that they do not intend to do anything to right this wrong but here again is a prime example of the problem.  I'm at the airport to pick up my son.  My phone that has worked all day is now Sleep Of Death.  Turned it back on, with 56% power, and find out that my son tried text me that his flight is delayed in Denver.  Oh thank you so much AT&T for the wonderful service.

As one more indicator of how little THEY care I have yet to receive any call back on the phone message I left Friday to  the corporate number they left me on a message.  It is so frustrating that no one cares.  The Galaxy S 2 is the perfect size for a smart phone.  The S 3 and the S 4 are to big to carry in your pocket.  A S 2 with Jelly Bean would be close to the perfect phone.

How about that fix that was talked about a month ago????

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

I fear that ATT has gone to the "Pinto Plan".

If you remmeber, back in the day the Ford Pinto was found to explode when hit from the rear.  Ford did an analysis and determined that it would be cheaper to pay off anyone hurt than to recall tens of thousands of cars and fix them.

Now that the SII is a hit and the SIV is coming out... ATT got our $$ and have moved on.   Sigh...

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

My shutdowns are now happening more often. It is extremely frustrating.

It has been over 7 weeks since Jamileh mentioned that "a fix will be available in the coming weeks". Can AT&T please update us on the status of that fix?

Thank you,

Ziad

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Don't hold your breath. People have been asking for updates consistantly throughout this thread and all they have gotten is the same reply multiple times.

AT&T isn't going to do anything about this, our only hope is that they finally put out 4.1.1 like everyone else in the world has done for the SII

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

It's pretty clear that our phone's are unreliable after the 4.0.4 update. I've had to revert to an old Nokia flip phone so I won't miss calls and texts. How can AT&T deny that this issue is caused by the update? It's painfully obvious.

Fix this or lose customers. And every customer you lose will tell other customers about AT&T's lousy customer service and high costs.

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

Hi,

AT&T is not denying that there is anything wrong with the 4.04 update... I think they more or less acknowledge it. They have chosen however to not do anything about it. Plain and simple. I have written the BBB and the Attorney General and just try to talk anyone I know out of dealing with AT&T on any level (including Uverse). They are comfortable in the fact that they know they have you, the customer, over a barrel so to speak.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.