The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Filed a complaint with the BBB.

Its only going to take ONE instance of someone getting injured or not being able to help someone else out because their cell phone couldnt call 911 because it was faulty and the carrier didnt fix it.

BTW, I have been over a month I believe with a working phone thanks to rooting and JB update.  Some things dont work but I can rely on it to be working and not drain the battery which matters more.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Had enough after 3 SoDs in one day.  Took 2-3 hours, figured out how to install Cyanogen 9 ROM (gives me 4.0.4 android, not JB). No SODs, no bloatware, and seems to be improved battery life (maybe 30-50% better than stock 4.0.4.)

While I am apparently not allowed to provide any info or links on how to do this (it does surprise me that ATandT can send a software update that breaks my phone and thats perfectly fine, but if I include info in a post about a fix that is somehow off limits...), I can say that:

- I didn't lose any data

- My apps came back automatically

- the biggest issues were resetting all my credentials (e.g. the Facebook app needed me to log in again) and setting up my home screens.

The SGH-i777 is a good phone.  Android is a good OS.  Its all the other stuff that screws it up.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

A quick update on my battle with the shut off issue.   Besides force close and disable the AT&T and few other apps (see my post on page 6), I also discovered that leaving the SIM toolkit running can keep my phone healthy.  If you have the habit of closing all unused apps by holding the home key and swipe to close, leave the SIM toolkit alone and your phone will thank you.  Hope this helps.

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Well, I got my Xperia Ion yesterday, and surprisingly, I think I like it better than the GS2. I will be selling my GS2 on ebay.I saw one sell for about $220 the other day, so I think I'm happy with the outcome.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

And it happened again. This time in the middle of a meeting. I picked up my phone to check my calendar in order to schedule a future meeting and it was frozen. How embarrassing is that?

Thanks AT&T. Do you have an ETA yet on the coming update? Is it still going to be available in the "coming weeks".

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

So wanted to share my situation and outcome since I've been monitoring this forum for the past month+.  Basically, I've had the random restarts happening since the beginning of the year.  It seemed to start once I went from LauncherPro to GoLauncher.  I updated the phone to 4.0.4 and it only got worse.  Note - whether the launcher was actually to blame I have no idea at this point.  In any case, I reset the phone to factory defaults, removed/disabled all bloatware including ATT apps/processes, the dual clock, power savings, etc.  The phone seemed to work fine (for weeks even), then I went and reinstalled LinkedIn along with a few other random news apps.  This completely crippled my phone to the point where today, even after uninstalling the apps to try and get my phone to where it was stable; the phone restarts after any attempt to check voicemail, texts, anything.  I'm talking completely useless, bricked, 24x7. 

At this point, having a dead phone, my only option was to complain to ATT support along with attempt to root.  After talking with Omesha along with her supervisor Chris, I was able to work out the following deal:

1. Bill for month of March was credited 100% (savings = $150+)

2. ATT committed to waiving my upgrade fee to purchase a new phone (upgrade not eligible until May 2013)

3. ATT committed to discount'ing the S4 upon release to public via ATT (Omesha took my LAN # since my S2 is now dead and will call back once the S4 is available.  Whether this will become reality is anyone's guess)

Of course, this still leaves me without a functioning phone.  Will attempt to root (having never rooted/flashed/ROM'd in the past)

That's it.  Again wanted to share in case anyone was interested having followed the struggles for sometime.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, I just updated to 4.0.4 a couple days ago... stupid me, I only just now found this thread.

Sure enough, I'm having the sod problem and it NEVER happened before the upgrade.

Clearly this is a known issue that is crippling people's phones.

AT&T and Samsung need to send out an update that fixes this. This is ludicrous.

Voyager

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I just submitted my complaint to the BBB. You can do it via an online form. Took about 5 minutes.  I encourage others to do the same.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

I too have lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  I held off doing so for a long, long time as I had faith that AT&T would eventually cough up a fix.  It would now appear as though this is not going to occur.  The lack of a response by AT&T is appalling and baffling.

My next step will be to contact the Ohio Attorney General's office to file a similar complaint.  What else would AT&T have us do?  Three months into this we have semi-worthless, less than dependable phones and seemingly no hint of a fix or resolution in sight.  Unbelievable.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

Today I got fed up with another SOD that drained my battery, so I decided to call AT&T tech support to simply register my issue.  Conclusion, waste of my valuable time.

Solutions offered:

1)  Do a master factory reset, that will fix it.

2)  Let me transfer you to Samsung, they will fix it.

3)  Your phone is out of warranty, so we can let you do an early upgrade, there is a fee of 200 dollars.   LOL LOL

4)  Ok, so to get back to 4.0.3 you have to do the alternate master reset, in which you hold down both volume buttons and the power button, and then scroll ont he menu to do a Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

5)  Our floor support staff cannot access the ATT forums, so we cannot see the post to the problem you are describing.

6)  I understand your frustration, I would be frustrated as well, so consider the early upgrade.

Bingo.  Good bye, AT&T.  I will research who has better coverage in my area, and will transfer my two phones and take from AT&T another 130 dollars a month from their pocket.  While I'm at it, goodbye Samsung--as much as I don't prefer iphones, my wife's iphone has no problems of this magnitude.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.