The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I gave in and took the exemption upgrade. I am getting the Sony Xperia Ion. I figure I will try it for a couple of weeks while waiting on the Jelly Bean update for the GS2. I will then decide which one to keep, and which one to put on EBay (both are going for $160 - $200), so it won't be a complete loss, and I'll have a working phone. Oh, and the Xperia Ion has better specs on paper, and it's currently selling for ¢99 with a new contract, which really isn't that bad for me, condsidering that I'm only 9 months in. So, I will have paid a total of $37.05 (tax included, free express shipping), and extended my contract for 9 months, but I will sell one of the phones and get $160 - $200 for it. Not the solution I was looking for, but not all that bad.

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

Please "tweet" your experiences if you have a large following. Follow me and retweet @dr_when. This issue will not be going away soon. Go online to the BBB and let them know.

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I'm just waiting for a story of a lost life because of AT&T and Samsung's incompetence.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

Just to add to this, I had an interesting SOD happen.  I was on a bluetooth phone call, and my phone went into SOD.  The call continued just fine, but I could not interact with the phone.  Once the call was completed, I couldn't hang up but the other party did.  At that point, I had to do the long press power button reboot, which of course forced the phone to restart.

It's mindboggling that we all continue with this nonsense and we are nowhere closer to knowing what AT&T and Samsung are doing about this to remedy the situation.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

For what it's worth, I've noticed a period of Wi-Fi battery use prior to almost every SOD even when Wi-Fi is disabled.

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

@exe23

Hi,

Can you elaborate a little bit on how you determined the wifi battery use prior to the SOD? How would wifi do anything if it is not enabled? I have been noting the time/date of every SOD trying to find a pattern and have not seen one yet which makes this problem so insidious.

On another note, I talked to another AT&T person after filing a complaint with the BBB. He again apologized for my "frustration" . I told him that all I hear from AT&T is that it is too bad we are "frustrated" and that is a meaningless comment to make. I asked the rep how he would feel if his wife and kids could not get hold of him if his cell phone shut down randomly at any time. No comment of course.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

The sad thing is, how easy would it be for them to just let everyone roll back to 4.0.3 without automatically updating to 4.0.4.  Many have already shown that with running 4.0.3 there are no SOD issues.  But wait, the S4 is coming out on the 14th so maybe they will give them to all the S2 owners for their trouble.  LOL....I doubt it.  Sad service. 

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

Today I have written to the Illinois State Attorney General with my S2 complaint and the URL of this particular forum so they could get a better understanding of the situation. Will it help? I don't know but I will not stop taking action on this.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

@prisoner6

Settings>battery then tap on the graph at the top after SOD event. Half the time the log resets after the SOD but the other half it doesn't and I see Wi-Fi use before the SOD drop when I've had Wi-Fi disabled all day.

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

@exe23

Thanks... I will watch for that also.

Bob

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.