The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I've been following this since about 2 days after I installed 4.0.4 on my S2.  Figured I'd register here and let everyone know my experience with ATT tech support and also maybe help bring more attention from ATT to the issue although I highly doubt it. 

Basically I started seeing this issue immediately after upgrading.  I tried resets, messing with apps, etc and nothing helped.  I use my phone for work and am on call a lot and this issue actually caused me to miss several calls do to my phone being frozen and me not realizing it.  I also use my phone as my main alarm and almost over slept a few times due to my phone freezing in the middle of the night. 

I started checking here and seeing others reporting similar issues so at that point I knew it was the update and not a random issue with my phone.   After exactly a week I decided that I could no longer deal with the problems and decided to bring the issue to ATT.

First I called tech support.  While the lady I spoke to was very pleasant and eager to assist me it was clear from about 10 seconds into our conversation that I knew more about these devices then she did.   Really her only suggestion was that I do a factory reset on my phone, which I already had.   She put me on hold and contacted Samsung on her other line.  The first question was if my update was to Jelly Bean which I had to explain was not even an option for this device.   Then after being on hold again she started to tell me how I could do a factory reset a different way that samsung recommended.  When asked what this did differently then my original method or going through the phone settings she actually agreed that it really was the same thing.    One more time on hold while she spoke to Samsung, back on the line and her last suggestion and the last idea that Samsung had was for me to drive to an ATT store and have them flash the phone with the latest update because "probably the update did not install fully the first time".  I explained that the closest ATT store was about 40 miles away and that I felt this was just something to get me off the phone.  At this point there were no more options so I asked to be transferred to customer service to talk to someone about my future with ATT.

On to customer service.....  I explained the issue and that I had a phone that worked perfectly fine a week ago until the update that is now causing me issues with my job.  I also explained that I had been with ATT since they bought out Cell One which has been about 15 years now.   I'll add that this lady was also very pleasant and seemed to understand where I was coming from.   She did some searching around and since there were no S2's in stock her first option was that she could sell me a S2 Skyrocket for $75.   I let her know that since ATT's update was the cause of my issue and I had nothing to do with it that any solution that cost me any money out of my pocket was unacceptable.   She then offered the same deal with some account credits to make up the cost of the phone, however I would have still had to pay $75 which I was not going to do.  Her next option for me was to take it to a store to be flashed, which I explained seemed like a cop out to get me off the phone since there's very little chance this would make any difference.   At this point I let her know that there are really only 4 things that they could do that would keep me a satisfied customer:

1.  Tell me how to roll back the update (I know this is impossible, but if it was going back to 4.0.3 would have been fine with me as I really did like the S2 before the latest update)

2.  Send me an update that would fix the phone now ( I knew this also wasn't really an option as I don't think they were really aware of how big an issue they had on their hands at the time)

3.  Promptly send me a new phone that is comparable to what the S2 is.

4.  Let me out of my contract (If I was going to be driving 40 miles to the closest mall it would be to sign a new contract with a different carrier, not visit the att store to have them try something I knew wasn't going to fix the issue.)

Ultimately she spoke with her manager and while I did have to sign a new 2 year contract (only really 1 extra year since I was only 1 year into my existing contract) they sent me a brand new Galaxy S3. 

Moral of the story folks, keep on them.  ATT is in breach of your contract with them due to an issue that they caused with an update that they pushed out causing your phone to no longer function.  They either need to make it right NOW or provide other options, one of which is to release you from your contract so you are free to move to another carrier.   Make it known that you know this and they will help you out, the last thing ATT wants is to lose subscribers.

While my ordeal did have a "happy ending" and I'm very pleased with my S3, there is still no reason that after over 2 months ATT has not released a fix for this problem or at least a roll back to the previous firmware version where the SOD issues did not exist.   While I'll probaby stay with ATT in the future due to coverage in my area, this will be the last time I have a carrier phone through them.  From now on I'll be buying Nexus phones and staying out of contract.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE:

I noticed that Kies on my PC has been prompting me thhat there is an update for my S2.  Has anyone else seen this?  I have not tried it since I'm happy with my S3 but updates through Kies are directly from Samsung and if there is indeed one available for the S2 it may fix the SOD issue. 

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

An update on my ordeal.  I received a refurbished S2.  It came with 4.0.3 installed.  While resetting it up, I noticed something.  I am able to uninstall the AT&T apps.  I can't remember if I was able to do that with my original phone, prior to the 4.0.4 update.  But I do not think that I was.  I wonder if this is going to be AT&T's fix?  Roll back to 4.0.3 and uninstall AT&T apps.

However, I have not had to power off the phone yet.  Nor have checked for Updates on the phone.  I'm tryig to roll with this 4.0.3 as long as I can.  I fear once it does power off, it will try to force me to update to 4.0.4. 

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Any more recent news concerning the problem? It is really an irritating problem for AT&T customers. Thank you.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

On 01-23-2013

@jamileh wrote:

Hey guys...

Great news 🙂

We worked with Samsung to research this issue and a fix will be available in the coming weeks. I don't have any specific dates just yet but as soon as I do, I'll post them here. 

I want to note that this is a direct result of you discussing this issue in the forums and telling us what you are seeing. Great job.

jamileh, can you please give us an update as to when this fix is coming? You said in the coming weeks and it has been 5 weeks now.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

NormChar.....

If it should prompt you to download the update go ahead and download it and then postpone the install. Then go into your application manager and find the "ATT Software Updater" (at least that's what it's called on my S3, it may be labeled slightly different on your S2). From here you can choose to Clear Data which should remove the update that was downloaded without it ever being installed. I did this on a previous OTA update that ATT pushed on me and it worked great and I never got prompted to download the update again. I should have done it with the update to 4.0.4 but I postponed too long and after the 3rd postpone try it automatically started installing even though I said to postpone for 8 hours.

Honestly unless my phone is having a serious like the S2's are having now I won't be doing anymore OTA updates from ATT.  I'll only update if it comes directly from Samsung through Kies which are normally only the big updates like the one to ICS and then to Jelly Bean.

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I just talked to customer service, and I'm at the end of my rope. They connected me with Samsung, who will only offer for me to send it in for them to repair. I can't go without a phone for that long. Samsung also said that it sounds like a carrier issue to them. I then called back to ATT, and all they offered was another replacement, which is pointless to me, or I could get sn exception upgrade, which costs me $36 plus the price of the phone and a new contract. As I told them , I will not pay a $36 fee for that. I will ride out this contract, then I am going to another carrier. ATT apparently has no intetest in keeping their customers, so I have no interest in remaining one.

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I also need t add that they again told me the update should be out in the next few weeks (the same thing they've been saying for the last month).

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks condition1.  I will try that.

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

11 years ago

I new to ATT an stayin that way. I was tryin not to post here but yep, phone SOD. Never had had issue till last update. Even after I dropped my phone and cracked the screen a bit. Not only does phone SOD after new "update" but they replace adobe flash with the ever more useful Google settings.........boy am I psyched........I now have like 7 useless Gmail, maps and, Google+ settings for apps that have this stuff in settings already and I never use, in exchange
for about 2 of my favorite TV shows a month. Wonderful "update" I must say. NOT. Thanks for nothing ATT and I pray alarm goes off in the morning.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Well, went 48 hours and thought I'd found enough stuff to shut off, then it died while I was in an emergency room and trying to coordinate family. Then four more times yesterday. I just feel like I'm paying for nonsense.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.