The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I couldn't stand it anymore so I installed Cyanogenmod on my phone. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I started with a nightly build but then reverted to a stable because I was having issues. Now my phone has been on battery for 12.5 hours of normal use and it's still at 73%. That would be unheard of on AT&T's 4.0.4 update.

I'll probably stick with AT&T as my carrier, but I'll never be dependent on them for phone updates. If I stick with Android, it'll be a pure Google phone from here on out. Fool me once...

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

My wife and I have two SG2 phones, and both are affected by the SOD caused by ATT's OTA  4.0.4 upgrade.  So far, have tried three factory resets and a replacement phone from ATT.  It makes no difference.  Andd ATT knows this, but they are stalling.

The phones are worthless now.  I can't assume when I pick it up that there will be any battery left, since the battery frequently dies when SOD kicks in.  We can't rely on these phones for basic calling or 911 emergency calling.

Both of these phones worked fine until the OTA upgrade to 4.0.4.  Now they don't work.  ATT can't fix them (at least as of now) - and it's been this way for over two months now.

To all who say "Once my contract expires, I'm gonna' switch carriers...":  Guess what guys.  ATT broke your phones over two months ago, and haven't fixed them or replaced them with working phones.  I think this means that ATT has already breached your contract.

Carl

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, Doc D. Yeah I tried calling again and actually got someone who wanted to troubleshoot. The last guy didn't even attempt to do anything and just transfered me to the warranty department. This guy today went through a bunch of things, what worked was he had me switch my SIM card to an old phone I had and all the missing texts flooded in to that phone. I put the SIM back in my regular phone and am now able to receive messages again. He said if that happens again I should go ahead and get the replacement phone because it's probably a device issue. Now if only there was a fix for the constant SOD. Whenever I've tried to explain that they offer a factory reset and replacement phone,  but because I've read everyone's experiences here, I know that won't do anything and will just be a hassle trying to get all my info on a new phone and the problem will persist. Really fed up with this.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I think carlh6902 is exactly right here: "ATT has already breached your contract."

My phones were still under the warranty and I finally got ATT to replace my two SG2's with SG3's. After three replacement SG2's, I will not be coming back to ATT. The customer service is horrible, they tried everything in their power to "trick" me into paying for upgrades and contract extensions. I made it perfectly clear to them they were not upholding their contract and there were other ways for me to deal with this. They finally got the point.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

Went a few days without a SOD, but had one this morning on the way in to work. It's amazing to me how much of an inconvenience this has become.

I'm about to request AT&T void my contract. I'm just not interested in their excuses anymore.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Things is, its not shutting off, it's asleep... I call it coma mode.
Try turning off your motion activation.

Explorer

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Just called AT&T Customer Service (1-800-331-0500) to try to see if they had any addditional information, work arounds, solutions, a time table for either an update to JB or a fix for 4.0.4, etc. Spoke with a representative from Technical Support regarding the issue but received no new information (in fact I'm pretty sure she didn't know anything regarding the terms "Ice Cream Sandwich" or "Jelly Bean"). After spending ~20 minutes attempting to convince me to pay full price for an upgrade to a new device I told her that the only things I was interested in was a free replacement S3 or S2 on 4.0.3 (which she did not know the meaning of) or to have January and February refunded since AT&T has caused my phone to be unreliable. After being placed on hold, she returned and offered me $200 credit towards future bills (which is approximately my portion of the January bill + what I estimate would be my portion of the February bill). While this doesn't solve my problem (the fact that I now keep my phone off and power it on just to check messages / make calls in order to avoid the SoD), at least it makes up for the sketchy service over the past 2.5 months. Perhaps if everyone with this problem is costing them $100 a month, they'll roll out an update a bit quicker.

Edit: P.S. I'd like to thank the moderators for removing the "Solved!" tag from this thread.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Things is, its not shutting off, it's asleep... I call it coma mode.
Try turning off your motion activation. I did and haven't had a problem since.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

I don't have motion turned on, and I have the SOD issue.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Figured I'd give it a try, so I turned off motion activation. Got a SOD 30 minutes later 😞
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.