The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Its 100% sure that the shut off problem in S 2 is due to OTA upgrade to 4.0.4
I went to art service centre and tried replacing with new device. Same exact prob continues even with new mobile after upgrading to 4.0.4. I don't know how to downgrade it. But I read in a forum and found that its due to alarm clock package.
So what I did is, I did a factory reset and don't ever used delivered alarm clock. So after reset I have installed an app for alarm clock and I'm using that. So for 10 days I didn't get this prob and so far so good. Please share if you have any solutions.
Last option is we have to wait for jelly bean upgrade to S2 i777.

Explorer

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I tried disabling apps, the incidents happened less, but not stopped completely.

I tried disabling power saving, got SOD within 1 hour.

The only sure way for me to not have SOD is to have the phone plugged into charger.

It also does not seem to happen when I am talking or streaming music via bluetooth.

I don't feel like rooting or reflashing rom just yet.

I followed my own advise and called ATT over the weekend, after a chat with Tech support,

I got partial credit for two months.

For everybody's reference, the 4.0.4 became available on 12/19/2012, so it has been just

over two months. I fully intend to keep requesting partial credit until the issue is fully resolved.

With all due respect to people who are ready to leave ATT, there are equal number of people

who are ready to leave every other US wireless provider. If there was one perfect provider,

then everybody would have switched to it already, leaving the dead weight behind.

Call ATT, request partial credit, money talks, maybe this will wake them up.

It totally sucks that one of the two major mobile OS distribution models sucks so bad.

Between Google, Samsung and ATT, OS updates take forever, if they happen at all.

But whats worse is that plain bug fixes take months.

As somebody correctly mentioned, it is down right scary that devices are only going to get more complex,

so ATT needs to either invest into handset technology support now, or stop mocking around with handsets.

For full disclosure, I have been with ATT->Cingular->SNET Lynx from the days of Nokia 918. I have worked for SNET and my

wife for SNET/Cingular, after SBC aquired SNET.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Just hung up with AT&T tech support, I was told that an update is in the works and should be available in a couple of weeks(of coarse no exact date)! Hopefully this is the truth because this issue is very annoying.  I thought it was a problem with my phone, but now I see it's everyones problem.  My phone, just as everyone elses, has been doing this along with silencing my text message notifications since day 1 of the updates.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Is anyone else having problems not receiving texts? This just started for me last night and is possibly an unrelated issue. I haven't received any texts even when my phone is on. I watched someone text me this morning and have not received that or any other texts that people tried to send me. I have been getting a lot more SOD and battery drops lately. They got a bit better after I disabled the AT&T apps, maybe one or two a day, but now it's back up to over 5 a day. 

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Nope.  No problem with texting for me... ever.  Even when I was having daily SOD, texts did come through.

I'm still having best luck with killing the Power Saving options. 

11 days since I disabled Power Saving and no SOD plus longer battery life.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Hmm ok, guess it's something else. Just got off the phone with AT&T they didn't know what to do so sent me to the warranty department. Maybe a new phone will help with the new texting issue but doubt it will help the SOD. I already have power saving disabled : /

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi verdo. Chimed in just to answer your question. I've had that happen to me twice in the past 3 months. The first time was in November. Called at&t tech support, one of the guys had a fix. He said to check my phone in 24 hours.

The next day, a flood of my unread text messages came in. Didn't need to do a factory reset, didn't need to uninstall any apps, guy just fixed it on his end.

Second time it happened, called them again. None of their technicians could figure it out. They proposed either a factory reset, or a refurbished phone replacement.

In retrospect, I should have gotten the first technicians name, the guy who had the fix.

I didn't want to do a factory reset because of all my settings. Didn't want a refurb either for personal reasons. So, in the end, since they could not figure it out, I agreed to the factory reset. Lost all my settings and some phone numbers, but the latter was my fault since I didn't back them up properly.

After the factory reset, the text messaging problem was fixed. I also unistalled Go Messenger pro, a text messaging app, since I figured, it too may be causing some problems.

So my suggestion for you is to call at&t and find someone who knows how to fix this problem before considering a factory reset, which also happens to be a sure fire way to fix it.

But before doing the reset, make sure to properly back up your apps, data, and contacts to Google. You can also request at&t to give you directions on how to do a back up.

Best of luck to you!

By the way, I am also having the SOD problem since updating to 4.0.4 last December. Eagerly awaiting the fix.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

The update has been coming "in a couple of weeks" for about a month now. It's not coming today, but maybe tomorrow....

Explorer

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I wonder if ATT fix to this issue will be upgrade to Jelly bean. In which case we could be in for a long wait.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

Well, I got excited as many others when disabling some of the apps, etc, stopped the SOD for a while, but they are not eliminated, they still occur.  I do not have any power management settings enabled.

It doesn't matter if they happen every day or every 5 days, the point being that a phone cannot be so unreliable as to risk draining the battery to zero unknowingly, and then being stuck.

I don't care about JB, I will not put a custom ROM.  What I want is a functional, reliable phone from the carrier that I purchased it from, and supported by the carrier.

So my question to the AT&T Moderator is:

- How can all of us formaly log that we have an issue with this problem without wasting valuable time with tech support offering to do unnecessary factory resets or send refurbished phones which have the same exact problem?  The left hand doesn't talk to the right hand when it comes to most of the technical support folks, because they aren't even remotely interested in hearing that other customers on the AT&T forums have reported the same issue with no resolution.

Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.