The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I upgraded to 4.0.4 when it was released; I think it was a couple of months ago.

I suffered SOD and couldn't stand that.

I resorted at this forum, but no AT&T staff could help.

I called customer service; they too could not help yet just transfered me to Samsung customer service.

Samsung asked me to mail my phone for further check.

How would it be going if I mailed my phone and had no phone for use?

Since neither AT&T nor Samsung could fix this HUGE bug, I flashed a third party ROM after a consideration.

I know it would break my warranty. But what else can I do with my phone always sleeping???

I don't think AT&T would like to pay any attention on this "old" device.

I was a loyal AT&T customer, but not any longer!

After my contract ends, I will definitely transfer to Verizon! Adios, AT&T.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Time to start filing complaints, but honestly, I guess I'm done after the end of my current contract. 

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am adding my voice as well. I have two S2's, worked perfectly for about 13 months and since the 4.0.4 upgrade I am having lots of issues on both. I called AT&T about a week ago and was on the phone with a couple of agents for total of 70-80 minutes but in the end the only thing that was offered was that they would allow me to sign a new 2 year contract (4-5 months earlier than they would have) and charge me $200/phone for Galaxy S3, as well as $36/phone upgrade fee. Obviously I did not bite and I am really looking forward to moving on.

If anybody from AT&T is reading this, please either fix the SOD issue or contact me seprately and offer a more reasonable solution.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Just an FYI, I read on another S2 forum that Samsung released the JB update on the 15th to all carriers. Some have already released it evidently. So if its out there, give it to us!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@jamileh wrote:

Hey all....

As you know from my earlier posts, AT&T is aware of this issue and is working on a resolution.  We continue to investigate reports of customers’ devices powering down.  We hope to resolve this issue in the near future.

When would this be? It's been months!

My previous experience of AT&T's resolution of problems "in the near future" is the reason I rooted my SG2 and installed a new ROM on it as soon as this problem started occuring for me (back in December of last year, right after I updated to 4.0.4). I've been very happy with my phone ever since, with vanilla Jelly Bean 4.1.2 running on my i777 flawlessly and with the battery life I could only dream of before. I could do this because some teenager did a ROM development job in his spare time from going to school, and posted the result product on a public forum for all to benefit from. That job which all of the bloated AT&T tech services just couldn't and wouldn't do. Ever.

This isn't the first time customers with tech problems get the runaround and excuses from AT&T, and not the last time. What should be scarry for the company execs is that the devices they decided to peddle as part of their business are getting more and more complex, and their loading of lowest quality bloat-ware on these devices, and treating tech support as an afterthought, and outsourcing their customer support to scripted drones in some third world country will end up biting them on the 'behind' sooner then they rhink.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

300+ Posts. 

Lets consider the number of ATT Customers who would actually take the time to look up the issue on the internet

Now lets consider the number who would stumble upon this thread. 

Next lets consider the number who would actually create an account in order to post in this specific thread. 

So what, there are maybe a few hundred thousand people encountering this issue?

Still, ATT does nothing. 

ATT is a joke, their customer support is a joke, and their lack of concern for their customers is apparent.  

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

First, and foremost, I TOTALLY agree with all the posters demanding the Jelly Bean update.  Come on ATT... it is in general release for a phone that is "bricked" by your ICS update.  You'd think a company that claims "customer care" would get on this and get it out.  Ultimately, that is the FIX for this.

Meanwhile, after disabling practically everything but the ability to make a phone call, I've come to believe the issue lies with the Power Management features of ICS.  Just for reference, I'll repost below the list of things I've disabled to try and make the phone usable for more than a few hours at a time.

The big change came when I gave up on Power Management and disabled that.  Since disabling ALL Power Management features, the phone has not SOD for NINE DAYS!!  I feel like getting a cake and 9 candles for it. 

Two things led me to this conclusion: 

1) I don't really see the value in the Power Mangement functions anyway.  For a lot of VERY good reasons, you really don't want GPS and WiFi on unless you are using them.  Sync features add nothing to my life.  But, I am not a "social media zombie" either so all those features are useless to me.  So, your overall battery life will be MUCH better without un-used features on.  It takes 2.2 seconds to turn them on when I need them... not a strain at all.

2) Given the "sleep" nature of the SOD, it just made sense to me that there might be a connection.  I would guess that I could enable virtually everything else I've disabled and may test that theory.

So... Power Management is lame and useless... kill it!!

So, here's the list of what I killed trying to keep my phone alive.  But, if I were you... I'd just go for the Power Management and see what happens.  Settings, Power Saving, uncheck both boxes (System and Custom).

Only turn on when using:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

i disabled all the ATT apps and there was no SOD for a week! Then it all started back. Really annoying over the weekend since i missed few important calls and i didn't even know it till now..... One positive thing after disabling the ATT apps was the battery is really good. I am really planning to install custom ROM. ATT is not fixing the problem and also not even giving us a useful timeline about when things will get fixed!

ATT is not giving us any options other than to break the warranty by installing cutom ROM. If something goes wrong while doing custom ROM, i may brick the phone. Thats the only thing holding me.... 

As others have said, i have been a customer with them from cingular days....

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

we are not asking for an update to the latest android (4.2 or jellybean) but a rollback to a working version (4.0.3) and for that we have wait forever. Sometimes i wonder whether ATT is providing us service for free 🙂 Even open source projects have a good turn around time for fixing issues or rolling back.... 

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

From Maavalous post.

So, here's the list of what I killed trying to keep my phone alive.  But, if I were you... I'd just go for the Power Management and see what happens.  Settings, Power Saving, uncheck both boxes (System and Custom).

Only turn on when using:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

I have done the same except for turning off sync and Facebook. I haven't had an SOD in over a month. I also did a back up and reset before disableing these app's.

Someone suggested because I shut my phone off at night is the reason I don't get SOD's but I have left it on for about 5 to 6 days with no SOD. I was thinking about what he said and thought maybe we should do a restart everyday to see if this helps the SOD issue. I don't mean leave your phone off just simply restart your phone daily.

AND YES WE ALL KNOW WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO ANY OF THIS BUT ATT WILL NOT HELP US ANYMORE SO LETS TRY TO HELP EACH OTHER. Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.