The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Actually, it IS a Samsung problem. I'm on Boostmobile myself and have been experiencing this issue since day one when I got my phone. I've been following this thread because it's the biggest one I could find doing a google search. But yeah, it's definately not just an AT&T problem.The one thing we all seem to have in common is a Samsung Galaxy S2 running ICS 4.0.4.

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I actually didnt do a restart this morning and at 2:15 today had a sod. When phone started back up battery was not drained tho. Does doing a restart help? I dont know...but at this point it cant be hurting.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

4.0.3, plus root = no SOD.

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I agree .....flash back to 4.0.3 with the official ROM .....no SOD

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Yep Im gonna flash!

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

All,

OK... I've found evidence of this for T-Mobile and now we've heard from Boost.  It is obviously one of the reasons Samsung didn't fight too hard when crApple wanted the S2 pulled off the market. 

BUT, ATT is NOT off the hook... my phone is "ATT Branded" and they owe me a fix.  If they want to point fingers at Samsung... first, they have to take their name off the phone. I can only hold my breath for so long.  If ATT doesn't have what it takes to get Samsung to fix it... well, all of us don't stand a chance.

As a side note, I've also seen sites with the Jelly Bean ROMS etc. that are "supposed" to work with the S2.  I got the feeling JB was "not ready for prime time" on the ATT version of the S2.  You seem to know your stuff... any insight into that?

Bottom line...

I've had my phone SOD during a conference call with the UK that made me look pretty dumb. ATT does NOT want to know how many millions it will cost them if it SOD's when I'm calling 911 in an emergency.  Apparently, ATT does NOT care about that... yet. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

One last thing...as I mentioned in one of previous posts, I highly recommend that you do a factory reset BEFORE doing the flash operation to prevent any lingering files from causing problems.

Good Luck!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Registered to add my voice to the chorus. Have had the problems described since the update in December. Really frustrated that I'm paying so much money for a service I can't rely on and hasn't provided a fix in two months. I've missed many important calls, texts, and alarms because my phone shuts off without me realizing it. I've also wasted hours researching this online because AT&T has been no help. We shouldn't be charged full price these last few months while we haven't been getting what we paid for. If AT&T doesn't want to lose more customers over this they should give us refunds and get our phones working again.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

With all due respect ablan, we get that your phone is working fine with 4.0.3 and rooting it. But I don't think that's what this forum is for. Perhaps on an XDA forum yes. This forum is how to get it working for the "average" user, who doesn't want to do anything outside of the standard procedures.

Voyager

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Just wanted to add my voice to the growing chorus.  Black, unresponsive screen of death (SOD) on the Galaxy S2 since the December upgrade to the new OS.  It is absolutely ridiculous that Samsung/ATT won't support a rollback to the earlier OS, if customers desire this. What do they have to lose? It seems this would fix all of our problems.  It's great that people are able to root their phone, rollback the OS and everything works fine and dandy for them.  I just don't have the time or the know-how to do this.   I can't wait until my contract is up. Goodbye ATT.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.