The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

I agree with manfmmd.  While I appreciate Tidegurl and Montoya's suggestions.  I'm not sure I would consider that a fix.  That's quite a few apps to disable.  I previously tried the clock suggestion but seemed to lose my alarms.  So that's not an option for me.  Plus, from what I've read, should you get the SOD again you would have to go through that routine of disabling all of those apps again.

As a follow up to my experience...I went to Device Support Center on 2/18/13.  All they did was a factory reset.  Battery life was better.  But I think that was more a factor of losing some apps than the reset itself.  However, it lasted about 24 hours.  I went to bed on 2/19 with roughly 66% battery life.  SOD happened over night and I last all battery life.  Needless to say my alarm didn't go off.  Smiley Sad

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

If your rebooting your phone once a day you are basically doing the SOD yourself.  We shouldn't have to reboot or disable apps to make our phones work right.  I never hear of people with Iphones rebooting constantly or having to disable apps.  4.0.4 is a piece of crap and just needs replaced. 4.0.3 has worked for me now 30 days plus with no SOD.  Only complaint I have is that text message alerts sometimes do not sound off.  Root keeps it from doing an automatic update.  Why can't AT&T just turn the auto update off and roll everyone back to 4.0.3?  

What happened to the fix that someone on the forum here said that AT&T told them it would happen on the 15th?   

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

Because of this SOD issue, I am really contemplating switching companies. This deal seams pretty good to me. Not sure about the phone yet though, have to do more research.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/LG-Optimus-L9-Prepaid

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I need to find out how much i have to pay if i get out of contract... Both of our S2 are having this issue for the past 2 months!!!! Planning to buy Nexus 4 phone and don't need to wait for ATT for updates in the future.... 

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Hey all....

As you know from my earlier posts, AT&T is aware of this issue and is working on a resolution.  We continue to investigate reports of customers’ devices powering down.  We hope to resolve this issue in the near future.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thousands of users have been experiencing this issue for months and AT&T has done nothing to correct the mistake.

Where is JB?? 4.1.X or 4.2.X.

My phone shuts off at least 3 times a day. Often I restart it and the battery is completely dead after a full charge! Why am I paying for inconvenience? Other carriers have already deployed JB, what is AT&T waiting for? Jelly Bean was releases in July of 2012 and it has still not been made available on the GS2.

I’m going to the nexus line. I’ll pay $300 direct to Google up front for a no contract phone and pick the carrier who is best to work with and switch at my discretion.  

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

So now instead of "in the coming weeks", it's now the "near future"

so very helpful.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Jelly Bean has been available in Canada on Rogers for almost a year.  I could research, but I'm pretty sure it's on the Galaxy S3 now everywhere.  If you root your phone, you can put it on the S2 no problem.  Well, except that rooting has a whole boatload of problems by itself.

So, having a HUGE amount of experience in Info Tech, here's my theory.  Something ATT has done for/with their version of the S2 has created the problem.  Mods to the OS or custom apps/drivers that are installed "for us" in the middle of the night?  They may even know what it is by now.

But... this is America after all... so the real question to the answer is... where's the money?

Selling new phones with new contracts and ever increasing plan costs to support all the new features.  The S2 is a discontinued model and they already have our money locked in.  The S2 was part of the curfuffle with crAapple patents and Samsung as well.  Honestly, I'll be shocked if we get a fix from ATT or even Jelly Bean upgrade.  That would be too much like taking care of customers.

Not sure where I go from here... Honestly, Samsung has always been one of the best phones you can get. I've owned them for as long as they've made them.  They must be doing something right... they make a big chunk of what goes in crApple eyePones.  So can't put this solely on them.

ATT?  If you're listening... the biggest mistakes you are making are:  1)  NOT owning up to the problem to ALL S2 owners.  2)  NOT fixing the problem.  In business, you have ONE chance to win over a customer and a thousand to lose one.  From what I've found on the web...you are losing THOUSANDS of customers over just this one issue  😞

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

@ ablan59

Ive always turned off my phone at night even when i was getting SOD's but I haven't had any since I reset and disabled the apps. For testing purposes I'll leave my phone on to see if I get an SOD.

Just like I said in my post I don't think we should have to reset and turn off apps ourselves either, but if we can find a solution it would benifit all of us.

ATT will not help us.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Hundreds of posts, thousands of views, multiple threads... months have gone by (just search on 4.0.4).  The technical support supervisor on the phone had the same answer "A fix is coming in the next few weeks" -- what a joke, same reply that was posted on this forum by jamileh back in January.   They seem to have no clue how many phones are affected, and no desire to do any outbound communication, and no ability to put a date out there for an update - thus we all have to spend hours finding out about these issues ourselves.  No suggestions from the AT&T technical team on how to minimize the issue either.  

Been a customer for over a decade - really thinking about leaving them.  

In agreement with everyone here - this has been really poorly handled....  WAKE UP AT&T!! 

Get the technical team to 1) jump on these forums and post some helpful workarounds to minimize the issue 2) proactively notify all S2 owners that they might be experiencing a known firmware issue - might save thousands of others from wasting countless hours searching and 3) commit to a fix date - publish it - and put the engineers on a timeline to get it pushed out (you do it for product launches all the time).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.