The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

As I predicted, immediately after saying that rooting prevented SOD, it happend within an hour. That being said, I have only had one sleep of death in the past week, so I don't think it hurt anything.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@geetarplayer wrote:

OK, my countdown starts now. I just flashed an alternative ROM. I'll let you know how it goes. Since I've have strings of a week or more of false success, I won't consider this fixed until I see it working for a month.

Just an update on my status... it's been 18 days, and no SOD.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

If you can roll it back to the 4.0.3 software I think you will find you have zero SOD's. I'm right at 30 days on mine with 4.0.3 and no SOD.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

For search engines:

Samsung Galaxy S2

S II

SOD

sleep of death

freezes up

freeze up

feezeups

shutdown

shuts down

gets hot

feels hot

feels warm

gets warm

remove the battery

replace the battery

won't start

black screen

hold in the power button

ics

random

randomly

notice

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

So I've done better since disabling the two clock apps suggested, and google books, magazine, movies tv, qlik lite, and google+.   (I had disabled most of the ATT apps previously).

I went 13 days with only two SODs.--which like someone else stated, still points to the 4.0.4 update.

Still unacceptable, because yesterday I woke up w/ a dead phnoe, battery completely drained, and I had to leave without the benefit of being able to charge the phone, guess what, due to the SOD.  So I had to drive with an uncharged phone, charge it a bit during the duration of my drive, arrive at a location where I didn't have the benefit of continuing to charge it so that I could use it..   This is NOT why I have a cell phone--completely useless.

I cannot believe that this problem is being ignored so profusely.

This is not a bad coverage issue, this is a real issue with equipment and software provided by ATT/Samsung, which directly disrupts the service and equipment we all pay for.  Since all of us on this thread have ATT-provided phones and service, then the ball is on AT&T's court, and it doesn't seem to be moving anywhere.

This thread should not be marked as Solved.  There is nothing Solved about this.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Best bet.....switch to Verizon!  My family has 5 lines all of which have different upgrade dates.  So, we're waiting until all 5 contracts are complete (no early cancellation fees) and then we're making the move to verizon.  This is only one of the problems that I'm having with AT&T.  Reception is also rediculously bad and I live within City Limits.  It seems obvious from the thread that ATT doesn't care or simply don't know how to fix these issues.  They're ranked dead last in customer service.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

For those who have rolled back to 4.0.3 following the instructions on galaxys2root.com, how did you get the required software? When I go to download Odin, nothing happens, I keep clicking the Download button (the real one, I think, not one of the billion ads), and it just reloads the same page; nothing ever downloads.

This experience with the sleep of death has really soured me on Android, Samsung, and AT&T. If I can get out of this mess and buy an unlocked phone, how are those OS updates handled? The thing is, I never again want to be dependent on AT&T for issuing fixes, or dependent on their 12-month late updates to come out. I don't want to spend a lot of time "managing" my phone, though, so I don't think I want to mess much with custom ROMs. But at this point, I don't foresee any possible action AT&T could take that would ever make me trust that they will be able to resolve critical issues in a timely manner. I'm done. I want my phone to work without having to spend hours scouring the Internet for kludgy workarounds. I'd happily pay up front for a phone if it means I don't have to deal with this nonsense.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

@dontodd wrote:

For those who have rolled back to 4.0.3 following the instructions on galaxys2root.com, how did you get the required software? When I go to download Odin, nothing happens, I keep clicking the Download button (the real one, I think, not one of the billion ads), and it just reloads the same page; nothing ever downloads.

Oops, I figured it out. You have to type something in the box that appears to be an ad before clicking the download button. I thought it was just a trick to get me to click an ad.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

Took my GS2 to the local service center today.  The customer service rep didn't want to hear anything about a support forum on the AT&T website.  Lol.  She wasn't bashing the site.  She just didn't care to check that there's evidence that the SOD is related to the Android update.  They seem to have a protocol they have to follow, regardless of what the issue is.  That protocol is to do a factory reset.

She did mention that the update they have is different than the update we received over the air.  So doing the factory reset and installing their version of the update "should" fix the problem.  We shall see.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I'd like to add my name to the list of people who will never deal with AT&T again as a result of this problem. Until this update, I never had a problem with the company and they were incredibly helpful with all issues that arose. However, I now find myself with an unreliable phone that AT&T refuses to acknowledge has a problem and/or fix, and being censored every time I post for being as vague as everyone else in when referring to potential solutions and calling into question the utility of a company that watches their forum closely enough to scan every post but pretends as if problems don't exist. In the event that previous sentence gets deleted, I'll simplify my feelings by reiterating that:

1. My phone is now unreliable (I've almost missed meetings because of it)

2. AT&T isn't handling this problem...at all

3. My experience on this forum has convinced me to take my business elsewhere

*Original post contained four sentences and three bullet points

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.