The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I have received my two "refurbished" S2's. My third and my wife's second. Set mine up and I did not have a SOD yesterday, will set up wife's today. However, half of the apps I use do not work. What an absolute failure. If our phones didn't have a few months of warranty left I would definetly go flash to 4.0.3 or Jellybean.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

FYI:

Randall L. Stephenson

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer AT&T

It's time for everyone to send him a letter of complaint.  He won't read them, but maybe the sheer volume of complaints will get them off their collective behinds to fix this more than minor disruption in service.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I have tried almost every "solution" in this post with little success; disabling all AT&T apps seemed to do the most, but SOD still happens. 

However, I recently rooted my phone. Since rooting (and doing nothing else...using the same kernel and everything) I have not had a sleep of death. I'm not optomistic that this is a perfect solution (and I'm sure now that I said this I will have a sleep of death), but my GS2 does seem to be slightly more reliable now. 

Even if you're not technogically savvy, it is extremely easy to root your phone. I'll post back if I get a sleep of death, but so far so good - it's been 5 days without one. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Look back one of my post, i have the direct number to that office, I talked to his Secretary personally.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Well my phone didn't last 24 hours before the first SOD.

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

@terrylmorris, if your still around plz check your pm box.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

As someone posted above...after only rooting my phone, leaving everything else the same, my phone did not SOD in two days.  I kept checking my phone (as I have grown used to because of the random SODs) and every time I was suprized to see that it was still on!

I then wiped it and am now running 4.1.2 and its like a new phone, loving the multi-window.  Cant comment on battery life or anything else, but so far its looking great.

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I found this on Samsung sites, I think everyone should download it and flood them with ? and help...it says they care so lets see how much they do! tweet them too @SamsungSupport, I have them tweeting with me now about the issue.

Download The Samsung CARES Android App to track repairs, upload receipts, and learn more about your Samsung products June 13, 2012

No title

Click  here  to download the Samsung Cares from the Android Market. 

App  Description

Samsung  Cares brings you support while you are on the go! The seamless navigation makes  it easy for you to find out everything you need about your product. Check out  our FAQ’s, How To Guides, How To Videos and more. If for some reason you can’t  find what you are looking for, simply tap the contact button to connect with  us anytime on Facebook, Twitter or Live Chat.

App  Highlights:

• Our     FAQ and How-To Videos have everything you need to help troubleshoot your     Samsung product.
  • Track     your service status.
  • Connect     with us through Facebook, Twitter, Chat and more.
  • Watch     live streaming videos from SPSN.
App Screenshots

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I was talking to @samsungsupport and they suggested that I do a factory reset. Seemed like people in the forum had already tried that so I have yet to take the time to backup and do that myself. Also went into the AT&T store today and the guy was basically blaming Samsung, saying that if a factory reset doesn't help, then Samsung will need to be contacted. Ok thanks, guy.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.