The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Adding my voice to the chorus.  As for everyone else, this started happening with the 4.0.4 upgrade.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  With 4.0.3, Bluetooth syncing with my Toyota was broken.  I lived with that for 6 months waiting for the 4.0.4 upgrade.  The upgrade fixed the Bluetooth issue, but I am now experiencing the SOD.  It happens once or twice per day on average, although yesterday I think I saw it 5 times -- I lost count.

So, I can now listen to my music/audio books in my car -- Smiley Happy -- assuming my phone stays up during my drive -- Smiley Mad

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

@leblanc61

Your problems can easily be fixed by doing a "factory reset". Oh wait.... just kidding. Seriously though, that is all anyone here claiming to be an expert is going to tell you to do.

If jamileh spent an hour looking at the messages on this forum like I have, she would see that there are literally hundreds of people with AT&T Galaxy S2 phones experiencing identical symptoms of the "sleep of death", ie. phone getting warm, requiring a full boot sometimes more that once a day. Jamileh though has decided that being naive and acting like this isn't occurring is the best approach. However, you may just as well call all of us stupid.

My contract ends this fall and I have been with AT&T for over 10 years. I am not renewing. Jamileh, are you going to ask me again to just tell you what my trouble is? Reread this post. There is a big problem with version 4.04 update! Period! Read all the messages and that is evident. Now why AT&T chooses to instruct all the CSR's to ignore this and pretend that everyone has a different problem and that a factory reset is all that is needed (sorry, that did not work along with all the other magic fixes).

I may end up going to a company that is no better but at least AT&T won't get my money and it's ok if they don't care. That attitude does not win in the long run. Look at Rim (Blackberry).

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

After not seeing the SOD for days at a time, for the last 4 days it's been every day, several times a day. It's getting worse, for me at least.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Please review the thread and look for my posts in it. I have both acknowledged and responded to the issue in question. 

I am sorry that you're having this issue but this type of dicussion is neither helpful nor constructive. 

Please review the Community Forum Guidelines so you can productively participate in our community. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I just spent over 2 hours on the phone with Customer support and there is still no fix available, I told her I wasnt interested in a warranty phone and that I tried the master reset etc..etc.. etc... and nothing works, I told her about the patch that was mentioned in earlier posts and she said she dosent know anything about that, but that dosent mean that there isnt something in the wind, needless to say I told her that since I cant use my phone 50% of the time that I wanted a 50% service credit. low and behold she went a step beyond and gave me a months free service and told me that if there isnt a fix by the end of the month to call back and ask for her specifically and we will go forward from there.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Please refer to my post #168 for details on what done so far.  Basically, disabling software and waiting to see how long before it goes SOD.

I'm up to over a dozen SOD on TWO phones... ATT sent me a new one once already.  Clearly, they have no idea how to fix this so they are stalling.

Today, after 3 full days from all the software disabling I did... boink SOD.  I was sad, thought I was making progress   😞

So, now, I have turned off all Power Saving Mode features.  NO power saving, that I can find, is turned on.  Theory:  Since it's a SOD, perhaps it has to do with the app managing power and sleep modes.  Hard to say. 

If anyone is an expert on the power saving apps and features they might help by chiming in on  1) what are ALL the critters involved  2) have they already tried this and it didn't help?

I can NOT believe ATT has not found a fix for this... I guarantee you there are thousands of us out here suffering. 

Stay tuned...

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

Dear AT&T,

Not to be a horses behind but - how about you folks Please review the 300 complaints and customers begging for help so you can productively participate in our community.  Oh yes, that we pay for and expect to deliver a reliable and usable service.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Adding my voice to the chorus. If ATT/Samsung knows what is happening then could they please share with us.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Agreed, the stock build needs a crash log.

Explorer

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

> re: asking for credit

What a great idea, I must admit that this maybe the most efficient way forward.

I am going to call ATT and make a similar request, or tell them to give me a phone that works, like a Galaxy S3

This issue breaks the essense of the device, the ability to receive calls. If I can not receive phone calls,

what the point? I hate to admit it, but every phone has and will have software and hardware issues, but

ability to receive phone calls is where one should draw a line.

I highly recomment that all with this problem do following:

1. create an account on this forum and leave a message for ATT

2. call and request credit

good luck

Max

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.